Mobil1 In A Gs430?

What Amsoil says about their oil is not important. What the American Petroluem Institute says about any oil is important.

The oldest snake oil test is the four ball EP test, which is not used to rate engine oils. When I see that, the alarm bells go off for me. The test is largely obsolete and certainly irrelevant for engine oils.

I will stick with Mobil 1, made by a company that pioneered the stuff, and in conjunction with one of the largest companies on the planet. Their R and D staff outperforms everybody else. Ask the pilot what oil is in the Pratt and Whitney powerplants on his 747. It will be Mobil. Good enough.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyoen hre try using royal pruple in thier lexus yet?

Amsoil & Mobil 1 trump Royal purple also. B) I'm not going to say anything negative about Mobil 1.....I still have it in my engine as we speak. After much research however (not just on the Mobil 1 or Amsoil sites), I have discovered that both are premium synthetic oils to be sure.......sorry to say that Amsoil is just a notch higher in the rankings with slightly better protection in every category in the API & SAE oil tests. :whistles: ;)

:cheers:

hey all,

if I get myself a 2002 GS430, what oil should I use in there?

will mobil1 work? or will I have problems with it? (won't leak out of seals,etc)

what about using 0w30 in the winter and 5w30/10w30 in the summer?

Also, on the transmission - its toyota type-T fluid right? can I mix in some amsoil or?

I only use mobil 1 5w30 in my Gs 400 . Works like a charm. I put 280k miles on my chevrolet beretta running mobil 1 . Can only imagine what kind of mileage I can get on my GS with Mobil 1 . Best oil out there bar none ! :D

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant  site.

oil tests

Independent site? Not hardly. It's owned, administered and moderated buy a bunch of specialty lube and additive salesmen who don't have to make sales calls to industrial businesses anymore because nowadays they can all just sit at home at their computers and run the forum to generate consumer sales of $25 a bottle additives, $7 a quart motor oils and $200 oil filter bypass systems. They also kiss up to Walmart's Supertech labeled products because they hope to convince Walmart to someday start buying and stocking their specialty products.

Again, this is all conjecture, show some proof! I hardly believe your little conspiracy theory. As they all seem to agree mobil 1 is the best oil. Walmart's supertech oil filters are made by champion labs who makes almost all the better oil filters out there. They're also quick to point out that walmart could change suppliers at anytime, so be careful.I hardly find this kissing up to Walmart. Also the supertech line of filters didn't score the highest, however were deemed the best value for the dollar. :lol: If you're going to make stuff up, which you seem to be really good at, at least do the research. :lol:

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant  site.

oil tests

Independent site? Not hardly. It's owned, administered and moderated buy a bunch of specialty lube and additive salesmen who don't have to make sales calls to industrial businesses anymore because nowadays they can all just sit at home at their computers and run the forum to generate consumer sales of $25 a bottle additives, $7 a quart motor oils and $200 oil filter bypass systems. They also kiss up to Walmart's Supertech labeled products because they hope to convince Walmart to someday start buying and stocking their specialty products.

Again, this is all conjecture, show some proof! I hardly believe your little conspiracy theory.

There's a conspiracy theory? :blink::unsure: :whistles: Oh my! :o <_< :lol:

oil tests

Do you think big companies with monumental sized fleets of vehicles like FedEx, UPS, etc. rely on amateurish "oil test" websites to make their oil and filter decisions? Do you think they use the specialty products they hustle over at that LubeGuy website like "Lube Control" "Fuel Power" "Auto-Rx" "RedLine Water Wetter" etc? Do you think they install "oil filter bypass systems"? Do you think they use synethic DOT 5.1 brake fluid? Do you ever wonder to yourself: "If all these special lube /filter / additive type products are so good, then why are the lube salesmen who peddle them tarketing individual car owners like me? Why don't they try and sell huge industrial accounts like FedEx where they could make alot more money by teaching these companies how to reduce their fleet operating expenses with specialty lube / filters / additive type products?

oil tests

Do you think big companies with monumental sized fleets of vehicles like FedEx, UPS, etc. rely on amateurish "oil test" websites to make their oil and filter decisions? Do you think they use the specialty products they hustle over at that LubeGuy website like "Lube Control" "Fuel Power" "Auto-Rx" "RedLine Water Wetter" etc? Do you think they install "oil filter bypass systems"? Do you think they use synethic DOT 5.1 brake fluid? Do you ever wonder to yourself: "If all these special lube /filter / additive type products are so good, then why are the lube salesmen who peddle them tarketing individual car owners like me? Why don't they try and sell huge industrial accounts like FedEx where they could make alot more money by teaching these companies how to reduce their fleet operating expenses with specialty lube / filters / additive type products?

:lol: Ya wanna know what UPS, Coca cola, and Fedex use for their oil? Well, here ya go, lets see you put that in your car <_<

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/documents/deq-e...pp-rerefoil.pdf

oil tests

:lol: Ya wanna know what UPS, Coca cola, and Fedex use for their oill? Well, here ya go, lets see you put that in your car <_<

That link didn't open for me, but it sounds like UPS, Coca cola, and Fedex use re-refined oil which just proves my point they don't use any specialty lubeshark products because their fleet mechanics know engine wear is almost undetectable if any ordinary API SL motor oil is used and filters, engine tune ups and cooling system service is performed on time And re-refined oil meets API SL specs.

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant site.

oil tests

:lol: Ya wanna know what UPS, Coca cola, and Fedex use for their oill? Well, here ya go, lets see you put that in your car <_<

That link didn't open for me, but it sounds like UPS, Coca cola, and Fedex use re-refined oil which just proves my point they don't use any specialty lubeshark products because their fleet mechanics know engine wear is almost undetectable if any ordinary API SL motor oil is used and filters, engine tune ups and cooling system service is performed on time And re-refined oil meets API SL specs.

I agree with you here, so now it all boils down to which oil is the best for the money spent. Which is precisely what so many of the test on bobistheoilguy.com seem to be doing. I don't agree on spending $7 a quart for oil or adding mystery garbage like slick 50 or lucas. So why should I spend more for an oil by TOYOTA, when mobil 1 is better and cheaper? I think that the key to long engine life is frequent oil changes and a good filter. Which is what I said in the begining. However, we were talking about the benefits of DOT 5.1 and why it's a better idea to use it than DOT 3. <_<

What Amsoil says about their oil is not important.  What the American Petroluem Institute says about any oil is important.

The oldest snake oil test is the four ball EP test, which is not used to rate engine oils.  When I see that, the alarm bells go off for me.  The test is largely obsolete and certainly irrelevant for engine oils.

I will stick with Mobil 1, made by a company that pioneered the stuff, and in conjunction with one of the largest companies on the planet.  Their R and D staff outperforms everybody else.  Ask the pilot what oil is in the Pratt and Whitney powerplants on his 747.  It will be Mobil.  Good enough.

**I had to jumpin since I could not take it anymore. :D

Well first off I agree with part of this. I also do not care what Amsoil states AND I could care less what the API says. I do however care that the oil passes and conforms to their proper API specifications, other manufacture spec’s and some mil spec’s. All that the API “start” or spec’s mean is that “some” oil meets the minimum specification for the certification. It does not state if it passed with 2% or 200% over.

If the 4-ball test is obsolete why do 99% of the oils out there use the test?

So lets take that away and look at some hard numbers. Is Mobil a good PAO oil? Sure. But on the flip side they do not like you, the user, extending your oil drains (like they used to). Amsoil, based on some test results (from users) had higher ZDDP levels; which I personally like. Amsoil's ASL series is calcium and magnesium detergent based while Mobil is using a primarily calcium based detergent system..for what is worth.

There R&D could be top of the line but their price and extended drains keep it on the shelf for me. If their price was within some small delta of Amsoil’s and they PROMOTED longer drains, like they have in the past, I would buy it.

Oh, I work for UTC and know many engineers at Pratt since I go there once per week. Are you sure it is Mobil in P&W engines?

Here is Amsoil XL-7500, 5w-30/Mobil 1, 5w-30 "supersyn"

Vis @ 100C, 10.3 Cst/10.1 Cst

VI,196/169

Noack Volatility, 8.8%/9.2%

Pour Point, -60F/-54F

HT/HS viscosity, 3.1 Cp/3.1 Cp

Four Ball Wear Scar,.38 mm/.60 mm

TBN,10.1/ ? – anyone?

If you are doing short drains mobil and Amsoil will be close. If going longer, which Amsoil states you can, I think the higher ZDDP will show the winner. So Mobil is placed inline with Amsoil 7500 since there service life is also the same.

Ok here is a non-used oil sample of Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV. See anything low here? hmmm ....I see a few that I would not want to use on extended oil drains.

Iron 2

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Tin 0

Aluminum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 4

Boron 39

Sodium 0

Magnesium 458

Calcium 2023

Barium 0

Phosphorus 994

Zinc 1352

Molybdenum 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel <1

Water 0

Glycol NEG

Nitration 10

Oxidation 15

Visc100 14.6

TBN 11.2

Here is a another sample comparison AMSOIL 5W-30 vs. Mobil SuperSyn 5W-30:

NOACK Volatility: AMSOIL: 4.90%, SuperSyn: 9.17%

Flash Point: AMSOIL: 446 deg. F., SuperSyn: 435 deg. F.

Fire Point: AMSOIL: 471 deg. F., SuperSyn: 455 deg. F.

Pour Point: AMSOIL: - 60 deg. F, SuperSyn: -54 deg. F

4-Ball Wear Test: AMSOIL 0.374 mm, SuperSyn: 0.667 mm

TBN (Total Base No.): AMSOIL 12.35, SuperSyn 8.45

Virgin sample of Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30. See anything that stands out? It does have Moly though…shocking.

Tin 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Aluminum 0

Silicon 3

Iron 2

Chromium 0.1

Silver 0

Zinc 1000

Magnesium 20

Nickel 0

Barium 0

Sodium 7

Calcium 3000

Vanadium 0

Phosphorus 902

Molybdenum 82

Boron 187

Manganese 0

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity 10.54

Acid No. 2.78

Amsoil 5w-30's and even their 10-40 have over 1270ppm of ZINC, 1150ppm Phosphorus and even calcium at 4342 ppm. I am not saying Mobil is bad but I have never ever seen Mobil at this level.

Based on the Mobil's numbers I have supplied my Amsoil (ASL) oil has over 12K miles on it and had better ZDDP and very low wear. :rolleyes:

What Amsoil says about their oil is not important.  What the American Petroluem Institute says about any oil is important.

The oldest snake oil test is the four ball EP test, which is not used to rate engine oils.  When I see that, the alarm bells go off for me.  The test is largely obsolete and certainly irrelevant for engine oils.

I will stick with Mobil 1, made by a company that pioneered the stuff, and in conjunction with one of the largest companies on the planet.  Their R and D staff outperforms everybody else.  Ask the pilot what oil is in the Pratt and Whitney powerplants on his 747.  It will be Mobil.  Good enough.

**I had to jumpin since I could not take it anymore. :D

Well first off I agree with part of this. I also do not care what Amsoil states AND I could care less what the API says. I do however care that the oil passes and conforms to their proper API specifications, other manufacture spec’s and some mil spec’s. All that the API “start” or spec’s mean is that “some” oil meets the minimum specification for the certification. It does not state if it passed with 2% or 200% over.

If the 4-ball test is obsolete why do 99% of the oils out there use the test?

So lets take that away and look at some hard numbers. Is Mobil a good PAO oil? Sure. But on the flip side they do not like you, the user, extending your oil drains (like they used to). Amsoil, based on some test results (from users) had higher ZDDP levels; which I personally like. Amsoil's ASL series is calcium and magnesium detergent based while Mobil is using a primarily calcium based detergent system..for what is worth.

There R&D could be top of the line but their price and extended drains keep it on the shelf for me. If their price was within some small delta of Amsoil’s and they PROMOTED longer drains, like they have in the past, I would buy it.

Oh, I work for UTC and know many engineers at Pratt since I go there once per week. Are you sure it is Mobil in P&W engines?

VI,196/169

Pour Point, -60F/-54F

TBN,10.1/ ? – anyone?

If you are doing short drains mobil and Amsoil will be close. If going longer, which Amsoil states you can, I think the higher ZDDP will show the winner. So Mobil is placed inline with Amsoil 7500 since there service life is also the same.

Ok here is a non-used oil sample of Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV. See anything low here? hmmm ....I see a few that I would not want to use on extended oil drains.

Iron 2

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Tin 0

Aluminum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 4

Boron 39

Sodium 0

Magnesium 458

Calcium 2023

Barium 0

Phosphorus 994

Zinc 1352

Molybdenum 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel <1

Water 0

Glycol NEG

Nitration 10

Oxidation 15

Visc100 14.6

TBN 11.2

Virgin sample of Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5w-30. See anything that stands out? It does have Moly though…shocking.

Tin 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Aluminum 0

Silicon 3

Iron 2

Chromium 0.1

Silver 0

Zinc 1000

Magnesium 20

Nickel 0

Barium 0

Sodium 7

Calcium 3000

Vanadium 0

Phosphorus 902

Molybdenum 82

Boron 187

Manganese 0

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity 10.54

Acid No. 2.78

Amsoil 5w-30's and even their 10-40 have over 1270ppm of ZINC, 1150ppm Phosphorus and even calcium at 4342 ppm. I am not saying Mobil is bad but I have never ever seen Mobil at this level.

Based on the Mobil's numbers I have supplied my Amsoil (ASL) oil has over 12K miles on it and had better ZDDP and very low wear. :rolleyes:

Good points, however, I've read from oil analysis reports that amsoil if not changed regularily will thicken, mobil 1 will stay the same weight, any input on this? <_<

Good points, however, I've read from oil analysis reports that amsoil if not changed regularily will thicken, mobil 1 will stay the same weight, any input on this? <_<

Well I do not know how you define regularly changed, but with 12,290 miles on my one Amsoil 5w-30 drain, the viscosity was 13.56 cst. The limits for 5w-30 are 9.30 to 12.49. The limits for a 40 are 12.50-16.29. The thickening here was only 7.8%. Nothing to even worry about.

If Mobil stays thinner by 7.8%, that is wonderful; however, Mobil states you should not even run their oil this long. But yes, sometimes Amsoil goes up in viscosity then something it comes down. It is nothing to worry about. I would worry about TAN, TBN, OXD and NOX level WAY before viscosity.

If you really want to learn about oil, spend some time doing some research on this independant site.

oil tests

I will pass on the XR4 oil changes...,

I agree with you here, so now it all boils down to which oil is the best for the money spent. Which is precisely what so many of the test on bobistheoilguy.com seem to be doing. I don't agree on spending $7 a quart for oil or adding mystery garbage like slick 50 or lucas. So why should I spend more for an oil by TOYOTA, when mobil 1  is better and cheaper? 

It all boils down to a bunch of drug dealer like lubeshark salesmen getting you and thousands of others to be compulsively obsessed with their choice of automotive lubes, filters, fluids and additives. About getting you to develope a "miracle in a can" approach to preventing and curing car trouble. About getting you steered away from using OEM lubes, filters, fluids and parts. About getting you to be convinced that "oil analysis" "four ball wear test" etc. can be substituted for real world direct measurements of wear. About getting you to believe in THEM instead of a car maker's engineers.

VI,196/169

Pour Point, -60F/-54F

TBN,10.1/ ? – anyone?

Iron 2

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Tin 0

Aluminum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 4

Boron 39

Sodium 0

Magnesium 458

Calcium 2023

Barium 0

Phosphorus 994

Zinc 1352

Molybdenum 0

Titanium 0

Vanadium 0

Potassium 0

Fuel <1

Water 0

Glycol NEG

Nitration 10

Oxidation 15

Visc100 14.6

TBN 11.2

Tin 0

Lead 0

Copper 0

Aluminum 0

Silicon 3

Iron 2

Chromium 0.1

Silver 0

Zinc 1000

Magnesium 20

Nickel 0

Barium 0

Sodium 7

Calcium 3000

Vanadium 0

Phosphorus 902

Molybdenum 82

Boron 187

Manganese 0

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity 10.54

Acid No. 2.78

Based on the Mobil's numbers I have supplied my Amsoil (ASL) oil has over 12K miles on it and had better ZDDP and very low wear.  :rolleyes:

Let's not forget also.......Amsoil XL-7500 series is not even Amsoil's best 5W 30 synthetic......Amsoil (ASL) 5W 30 is & will last 12,500 miles or 1 year (used with Amsoil's HD - Heavy duty oil filters in which 2 are needed). So it's actually cheaper to use Amsoil in the long run by far........just because I'm me, I doubt I would go that far since I have a Lexus Extended warranty.......but regardless, my owners manual states I need to change it every 5,000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first.......time usually come before mileage for me so I'm still on 2 oil changes per year! ;) B)

Mobil 1 is good, no doubt.......Amsoil is better & that's the truth. ;) :whistles:

I got the car, and am going to give mobil1 5w30 a shot. maybe try amsoil after

(mobil1 5w30 works great in my 4 stroke snow blower!)

you guys use the toyota or mobil1 filters?

Right now I use both Mobil 1 & K & N oil filters (mobil 1's however you have to get in the states as they do not offer them yet in Canada). K & N's can be purchased at Canadian Tire.

I'll be switching to the Amsoil HD - heavy duty oil filters when I switch to Amsoil. If you go on the Amsoil website, do a search for the Toronto Distribution Center as it's located in Mississauga. If your having problems, let me know.....I'll give you the address & phone number. B)

It all boils down to a bunch of drug dealer like lubeshark salesmen getting you and thousands of others to be compulsively obsessed with their choice of automotive lubes, filters, fluids and additives.

Thousand for lubes adds etc??? I spend approx $45 for 1-year on my oil drains. It is not thousands my friend.

About getting you to develope a "miracle in a can" approach to preventing and curing car trouble.

It does not cure anything nor do they state that. It does however provide better protection and wear numbers; or lack there of.

About getting you steered away from using OEM lubes, filters, fluids and parts.

Nothing states you have to use them. Nor does it say they are any better.

About getting you to be convinced that "oil analysis" "four ball wear test" etc. can be substituted for real world direct measurements of wear.

I do not know what you mean but I have real world data for my car via analysis. The numbers to not lie.

About getting you to believe in THEM instead of a car maker's engineers.

They, oil people, are not saying anything new here. Plus I would not put to much faith in engineers. Hell, I am one am I know some good ones and some that have this and that degree; but suck at concepting & producing a viable and useful design.

Let's not forget also.......Amsoil XL-7500 series is not even Amsoil's best 5W 30 synthetic......Amsoil (ASL) 5W 30 is & will last 12,500 miles or 1 year (used with Amsoil's HD - Heavy duty oil filters in which 2 are needed). So it's actually cheaper to use Amsoil in the long run by far........just because I'm me, I doubt I would go that far since I have a Lexus Extended warranty.......but regardless, my owners manual states I need to change it every 5,000 miles or 6 months which ever comes first.......time usually come before mileage for me so I'm still on 2 oil changes per year! ;)

There ASL is our the mid line so to speak. Also Lexus can not deny you any warranty unless the oil is directly related to the problem.

This is from Amosil

“Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) recommend consumers use lubricants of the proper viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it’s petroleum oil or synthetic, may be used without affecting the overall warranty coverage.

OEMs pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, viscosity, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used.”

There ASL is our the mid line so to speak. Also Lexus can not deny you any warranty unless the oil is directly related to the problem.

This is from Amosil

“Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) recommend consumers use lubricants of the proper viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it’s petroleum oil or synthetic, may be used without affecting the overall warranty coverage.

OEMs pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, viscosity, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used.”

mburn,

your saying that the ASL formula is only the 'mid-line' for Amsoil? :unsure: What is the top line then? The XL-7500 must be their 'enrty level' synthetic. ;)

mburn,

your saying that the ASL formula is only the 'mid-line' for Amsoil?   :unsure:   What is the top line then?  The XL-7500 must be their 'enrty level' synthetic.   ;)

There XL series, low level WAS PAO based but now moved to a high end group 3 due to keep cost down.

There ASL, ATM, AME etc are all mid levels for Amosil

There high level are Series 2000 and 3000. They have higher add packs.

All these levels have a price; hence you get a better oil. The kicker for me is that there XL series is like within some really small price of there ASL etc series. Why pay, for example, $50 for a Xl series (7,500 miles) when you can get their mid oil (which can go UP to 25K miles) for the same or close price...I do not get it.

mburn,

your saying that the ASL formula is only the 'mid-line' for Amsoil?   :unsure:   What is the top line then?  The XL-7500 must be their 'enrty level' synthetic.   ;)

There XL series, low level WAS PAO based but now moved to a high end group 3 due to keep cost down.

There ASL, ATM, AME etc are all mid levels for Amosil

There high level are Series 2000 and 3000. They have higher add packs.

All these levels have a price; hence you get a better oil. The kicker for me is that there XL series is like within some really small price of there ASL etc series. Why pay, for example, $50 for a Xl series (7,500 miles) when you can get their mid oil (which can go UP to 25K miles) for the same or close price...I do not get it.

I agree! The ASL series should be more than fine for our applications. I just got the Amsoil product guide the other day & for some reason, I thought the 2000 & 3000 series you mentioned said it's for a racing application? :unsure: I assume these (2000 & 3000 series) should last the same amount of time as the ASL series? but I bet it's $3-4 a qt more? :blink: If that's the case.....it's starting to get ridiculous now am I right? lol :ph34r: