Buying A Used Rx300

31rx7

I have put off my wife for 3 years in buying another car, but I think I am going to have to give in soon! Her current car is a '94 Inifiniti J30 which is very nice (and paid for), but I can't see spending the $1,200 needed to replace the shocks on a $5,000 car. Plus, they only sold about 12 of the J30's, so parts other than engine are getting very expensive and / or hard to come by.

In any case, she is considering an RX300, probably in the $18k to $25k range. She will likely have the car for 8 to 10 years, and use it as an every day car, maybe a family trip now and then, but no towing. She will put around 10k miles per year on it. The car will receive regular, scheduled maintenance with the easy stuff being done by me and the harder stuff being done either by the dealer or my mechanic of 20 years. Our cars typically last at least 10 years and over 125k miles with no major issues.

I have done some searches, and have not found quite what I need. I am interested to know about :

- Any years better / worse than others? In this price range, it covers 1999 to 2002 or so.

- Thoughts on specific options (ex: 2wd vs. AWD), problem areas (ex: leaky sunroofs)

- Maintenence schedule, particularly major expenses like timing belt, etc. Is there a place on line I can look it up?

- Problem areas, particularly those that crop up after 70k miles or so.

- We have two small to medium sized dogs, and regularly take our son and his friends to baseball, etc., so interior durability is of interest.

Thanks to one and all for your assistance.

I have put off my wife for 3 years in buying another car, but I think I am going to have to give in soon! Her current car is a '94 Inifiniti J30 which is very nice (and paid for), but I can't see spending the $1,200 needed to replace the shocks on a $5,000 car. Plus, they only sold about 12 of the J30's, so parts other than engine are getting very expensive and / or hard to come by.

In any case, she is considering an RX300, probably in the $18k to $25k range. She will likely have the car for 8 to 10 years, and use it as an every day car, maybe a family trip now and then, but no towing. She will put around 10k miles per year on it. The car will receive regular, scheduled maintenance with the easy stuff being done by me and the harder stuff being done either by the dealer or my mechanic of 20 years. Our cars typically last at least 10 years and over 125k miles with no major issues.

I have done some searches, and have not found quite what I need. I am interested to know about :

- Any years better / worse than others?  In this price range, it covers 1999 to 2002 or so.

- Thoughts on specific options (ex: 2wd vs. AWD), problem areas (ex: leaky sunroofs)

- Maintenence schedule, particularly major expenses like timing belt, etc. Is there a place on line I can look it up?

- Problem areas, particularly those that crop up after 70k miles or so.

- We have two small to medium sized dogs, and regularly take our son and his friends to baseball, etc., so interior durability is of interest.

Thanks to one and all for your assistance.

Although Consumer Reports is fairly good at picking up major widespread car problems, it shows no sign of the transmission problems listed on this forum. Do a search with "Transmission problems" on this forum to locate these postings.

A few months ago I purchased a 2000 RX300 with 30,000 miles and after seeing these postings I have become a little squeemish about the RX300 transmission. I certainly hope Consumer Reports is correct in that these tramsmission problems have not shown up as a widespread issue in their readership surveys.

As far as 2WD vs AWD, My last car was 4WD so I'm really used to the idea of having a car with the additional stability and traction of four drive wheel as opposed to two. Do you really need it ?...maybe not, but all I can say is I had a huge smile on my face today, driving through the 8-10 inches of snow on unplowed streets this evening in New Jersey. I would not even have attempted it in a 2wd vehicle.

A full mainteance schedule is located in the RX300 Owner's Manual Supplement.

Best of Luck with your vehicle choice,

Tony

Please explain.
Out of context.......

Your J30 is worth wnat it will cost to replace it.

find a good used toyota 4runner limited with four wheel drive and enjoy the benefits of a reliable track record on transmissions. If your wife does any cross town cumutes in the summer your chances of failure are to be expected. If you choose a RX300 do not get a 1999. It has issues. It just has not been reported to consumers reports. The 4runner limited is just a luxurious and will give about the same fuel economy.

Putting several thousand dollars into the J30 to keep it running smoothly and reliably is a far, far less expensive proposition than buying a late model RX300, because DEPRECIATION is the true killer expense involved with owning an automobile.

The RX300 is not a good beater type car and too many Toyota / Lexus owners treat them as such by neglecting or extending the preventive maintenance service intervals. So unless you can find an RX300 that has been serviced frequently using the severe service frequency schedule, I would avoid buying one because engine or transmission trouble could be looming ahead.

Thank you all for your replies. So far, I have found:

- Transmissions are a potential trouble spot.

- 1999 is the more problematic year.

- Maintenance is key to longevity: I will certainly check maintenance history.

- A Toyota 4 Runner Limited offers many of the functional benefits but is a less expensive alternative with a better transmission.

I certainly understand the expense part of the equation. It is always much cheaper to repair and keep a current car on the road than buy another one, and certainly that is my preference. I can find a better use for the money. But we are talking about my WIFE's preference, not mine. Besides, a new (used) car every ten year years or so is not an unreasonable request. What allows us to be satisfied with a vehicle for 10 years is purchasing what meets not only our needs but our wants.

If we were primarily concerned about the expense side of the equation, none of us would be driving a Lexus. Instead, we would likely be driving a Toyota or Honda equivalents of Lexus and Acura. To many people, there is a value to be put on driving a vehicle you feel good about, and makes you feel good about yourself and your decision. That is what this near-luxury / premium segment of vehicles is all about, and it is something she looks for in a vehicle. It is the difference between satisfying your wants vs. simply settling for what meets your needs.

There are a few practical considerations. From a practical side, the J30 is not a good vehicle to take the dogs in. Cargo space is marginal for the size of car. It is absolutely abysmal in the snow / wet weather (this was pre-traction control). The quality of the interior leather is nothing to write home about - the drivers seat and front door panels have both been repaired twice for wear spots and cracking. Even my GMC truck had better quality leather, and it was abused.

In any case, I probably have three or so months before I have to actually make the purchase, so will continue my research. I have tried talking her into a wagon of some sort (I am partial to wagons, and the IS300 SportCross is very nice...), but have had no luck so far.

Any other thoughts or comments are welcome!

Putting several thousand dollars into the J30 to keep it running smoothly and reliably is a far, far less expensive proposition than buying a late model RX300, because DEPRECIATION is the true killer expense involved with owning an automobile.

The RX300 is not a good beater type car and too many Toyota / Lexus owners treat them as such by neglecting or extending the preventive maintenance service intervals.  So unless you can find an RX300 that has been serviced frequently using the severe service frequency schedule, I would avoid buying one because engine or transmission trouble could be looming ahead.

31rx,

If you can find a 'peach' of an RX early 2000's that has been religiously maintained with all warranty & service records available (includes oil changes with is vital naturally because of engine gelling but any other relevent fluid changes as well depending on the year & mileage). I would also suggest your find that 'peach' at a Lexus dealer as opposed to an off make lot & get it as a COP (certified pre-owned) & consider purchasing a 'Lexus' extended warranty. Considering where you live, I'd go with a AWD model as well. B) Keep us posted & good luck!

:cheers:

Ok, I think I'm with LexusFreak on this subject about getting a CPO vehicle,

with a maintainance/service history. I purchased a 2001 RX-300 back in

Oct 2003. I had looked at both dealers and private sales in the process. I didn't

find at good private sale vehicle, other than a 1999--which was older than I

wanted (and being a first yr vehcile--- I was skeptical).

As far as the 2WD v.s. AWD--I'm too in a snowy area of the country, and

had made my mind up for AWD. The vehicle when I decided on that one was

at 53K, so I had them do the 60K service first---put that into the contract.

They didn't any objections to that. And it's turned out to be a good move. It

runs great, I've kept up the maintainance, and hopefully I can get some years out

of it, before I trade.

Oh---as far as your dogs, most of the Rx-300's have leather. I've got a

Golden Retriever, but she hasn't been in it. She prefers my wife's Altima, where

she can play co-pilot!

Hope this helps somewhat,

PharmGuy

With the transmissions you have to look at the # of complaints vs the number of RX300s on the road. Lexus has sold about 100,000 RX's every year since it came out in 99 (well 98 really but it came out as a 99) how many people complain about transmission problems on this board? 10? probably not even that many. Thats hardly statistically significant. You've got to be careful when using the experiences of people on these boards as a reason to or not to buy. Usually people only make the effort to discuss these cars when they are really thrilled with them or seriously down on them. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle and the people in the middle just drive them, not post about them. That make sense? The thing to do is ask people you see, see a guy walking out to his RX? Ask him how he likes it, same at gas stations etc. That will give you a better picture.

I would look at a 2001+ model if you can afford it. They made a couple nice additions including new taillights and headlights/grille and the addition of a navigation option (even though its very rare) is nice. I think the small updates made to the 01 make it a much better looking vehicle. Plus there are some cool special editions like the Silversport and Coach models that are very sharp.

That said, its always cheaper to keep a car you have running but I'm not like that. I work hard, I like to drive something that makes me happy. Not EVERYTHING should be a penny counting endeavor ;) Sometimes you just want a new car, when you get to that point added expenses of repairs on a current car help push you over.

The RX is a nice vehicle, we seriously considered getting a 2002 model when we bought my fiance's Prius. She wanted the Prius though lol

SW03ES,

Thanks for your comments. I didn't mention it earlier, but I have a 2001 IS300 that I bought CPO. It is an excellent vehicle and the dealer has been top notch. I think the only way I would not go CPO is if I could get a vehicle that was significantly below book and / or where I knew the owner and his / her habits and the vehicle history.

Regarding information received on boards such as this, I also agree. There are many variables with how people treat their vehicles and the experiences they have. Lexus, as a brand, has a stellar reputation. However, even good cars can have issues if they are abused or not maintained. Similarly, even low end cars with bad reputations like Neon's, and Cavaliers can be good cars if they are reasonably maintained and driven with a degree of care.

I am a member of five other boards for different cars that I own, and have learned to take much of what I read with a grain of salt!

Given I haven't heard much negative, it sounds like a properly maintained RX300 is a good vehicle for the long haul. I have been through a lot of searches and so far have not uncovered anything that seems to be a consistent issue among the owner base.

By the way, we will probably keep this vehicle until it has at least 125k miles.

31rx7

deffinetly do not get the 1999 or the 2000 rx300. Too many problems with the transmission etc. By 2001 some of the minor squeeks etc were fixed but the transmission was still a problem. Only the 2 wheel drive model wont have this problem, but still dont get an rx300.

I would also suggest the toyota highlander which is the equivilant of the rx300. The 2004 or 2005 wont have the transmission problem.

good luck

the problem on the rx300's tranny's was that friction in a part of the rx300 was heating the transmission fluid causing it to burn. on the 2004-2005 highlander this was fixed. The 2001-2003 highlander yes will have the same problem as on the rx. This is why i suggested the 2004-2005 model...lol...

yes there are many different things that can be done to help prevent the transmission overheating problems in the rx300. You can do that, or also just change the transmission fluid every 10k miles or so. This is an option but it would be better to bypass all these probs nd get a new highlander.

With the transmissions you have to look at the # of complaints vs the number of RX300s on the road. Lexus has sold about 100,000 RX's every year since it came out in 99 (well 98 really but it came out as a 99) how many people complain about transmission problems on this board? 10? probably not even that many. Thats hardly statistically significant.

Agreed. I personally drive a '96 Explorer and there have been WAY more mechanical and other issues with that car then probably any Lexus and mine hasn't had any major problems at all (regular maintenance and goodyear tires ;) ). My mom has a '99 RX300 and loves it to death. We shopped around for a while to find the right one and haven't had a single problem with it since we got it. CPO is probably the way to go; I'd trust a Lexus mechanic before a private seller or non-CPO dealership. Have a 3rd party you trust take a look at the car (for us it was the goodyear service station in town - we have a longstanding relationship with them) and have the CPO seller take a final look if you feel so inclined. If you can get some kind of limited warrenty it might or might not be worth it.