Brittle Windshield- Es300

I have had 3 instances in 3 weeks of small stones cracking the windshield of my 2003 ES 300. Its got the rain detector. Never had so many so soon. I have already had to buy entire new windshield. Fortunately 2 other times was repairable. Any similiar stories???

try putting a little more distance between you and the car in front of you.

I got an 02, got small nicks from tiny rocks on the front bumper and the very front of the hood, but nothing on the windshield.

steviej

Generally glass coverage is part of your Auto Insurance Policy. I don't think a dealer would replace the windshield out of the goodness of his heart. :)

Alan

I get small stones hitting my 92 windshield a lot in SD, lots of tiny pits. Kinda annoying but no cracks. There are places that come to your car to replace them. My friend got the windshield replaced for a 96 Camry for about $200.

well i know they dont cover broken windsheilds but i thought maybe chips like that might be covered becuase maybe he has a defective windsheild but till this day i really never heard of a defective windsheild but hey who says it cant be?

Naa Lexus won't replace the windshield. They will sometimes do touchup work for free on a brand new car.

I dont know where you live, but here auto insurance companies MUST replace as many windshields as you want and waive the deductible because its a safety item. I just make an appointment, specify OEM glass (which they wont want to do, and they'll try and talk you out of because its much more expensive, but insurance companies cannot force you to use any aftermarket part) take it in, wait 30 minutes and its done, new windshield for free.

I know this isn't the case everywhere though.

nope i just called and asked my insurence company and they said its not covered so that sucks.thats cool though that your covered for it because that saves alot of money if your window breaks.

Too bad! I should have said in the above post that "Full Glass Coverage" is offered as an option in most Auto Insurance Policies.......but you have to pay the additional premium. :(

Alan

Yes, I definately reccomend full glass coverage, its very inexpensive and WELL worth it. An OEM windshield for the Lexus is..............very............expensive.

• 1 month later...

My ES300 is only 3 months old and a rock cracked the windshield. It sounds like there are always rock hitting the windshield. Maybe it has to do with the aerodynamics of the car. The rock hit the black portion of the window and produced a crack that was 14 inches long. Really thankful for comprehensive coverage... the windshield & labor was $1060.

not sure if you guys are aware

so here is todays random thought

when having a windsheild replaced

leave the car to sit as long as possible after atleast 48 hours

if it has to be driven home then turn very easily

as the windsheild is a major part of the cars structural integraity

if it is shifted before the ureathance sets it will cause budges and pressur points on the winsheild

that is the reason most windows crack with long spider lines

as the car is releasing it pressure from the window

just a thought

i have 3 real hard chips on my es and no cracks

i guess when they made mine they didn't move it around much

or atleast the seas were very calm to not rock the boat

:geek:

I haven't had any problems with mine, and I drive the Beltway a lot. Probably just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I believe that you were in the wrong place at the wrong time too.

I don't know what it is, but everytime I buy a car, I get 1-2 rock chips in the window w/in the first month of owning it, then nothing until I sell it a year or two later. It's crazy.

I bought my wife a 1995 civic and I thought the window was paper thin.

We were test driving it, and I got a chip, then the next night, we drove it to the movies, got another chip! I was like WTF??? I figured by the end of the month, it would look like we were in a hail storm, but we haven't gotten any for 2 years since.

...weird. Oh, and I'm going to put glass coverage on if possible. That's a great idea!

FYI ... I have an aftermarket window in my car right now and it blows. Very wavy and distorted. Especially on the passenger side. My wife complains that it makes her sick feeling. I will go w/ a Lexus stock window next if have to replace.

i never had this problem before on my other car, which was a jeep grand cherokee, but i got my front windshield chipped!!!! :chairshot: argh, itz so annoying, but itz just a chip, no cracking as of yet. i heard from a friend that if your windshield starts cracking, just take a razor blade and make a small x at the end of the crack, and the window will stop cracking. is there a cheap way to repair a chip in your windshield?

there are ways to fix chips not cracks

they basically use perssur through a plunger to evacuate the air int eh cracka nd fill it with acrylic

the professionals use a machine with a vacum compressor to remove even more air and then force the acrylic in

then it wipes away and no more chip

but cracks cannot be stopped once sarted

maybe the x thing works but i have not used it