Replacing Rear Shock Absorbers

gav_logan

Hey all, I know it's been ages since I've been in. Hope you've all been well. And I hope having a trouble free lexus and being a little too busy for the net won't deter you from giving me some of that awesome advice you're all so good at :P

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 93 ES. I called the mechanic, but he quoted $460 AUD (fitted) worst case scenario, and after speaking to my friend, I'm almost convinced to do it myself.

Could anyone with a bit of knowledge let me know how to do this, or pass over a link if you have one?

Cheers

- Gav

Are the rear shock absorbers what make the sqeaky sound when I drive? (94 es 300) or is that the struts?

Roll tide!! hehe you'll have to be more specific where and when that squeaky sound is coming from. if you're talking about a squeaky/clunking/quishing sound coming from the rear whenever you go over speed bumps, road/driveway dips, etc, it could be your struts bump stops, strut mounts, struts, sway bars endlinks/bushings. i still have that annoying sound after changing out suspensions on all four corners (struts, strut mounts, & springs). they were overdue for a changeout anyways. bottom of my car was scraping whenever i go over speed bumps with passengers in the back. my next step is try lubricating the sway bar endlinks/bushings (bushings look ok), else change them out too.

do a search on struts and read what other people have tried. good luck.

I need to replace the rear shocks on my 93 ES.  I called the mechanic, but he quoted $460 AUD (fitted) worst case scenario, and after speaking to my friend, I'm almost convinced to do it myself.

I replaced the rears on my '95 last year. I bought OEM KYBs online and had my local indie do the job (I didn't want to mess w/ compressing the springs). P&L came out to @ $400 US or so if I remember correctly.

Not knowing what the conversion rate is now that the dollar is weak, that may be a good deal if parts are included.

• 2 years later...
Just sent you a PM... I have a tutorial which I can send you. I can't "see" the link though to post here. Fairly EZ job...

Bob

Hey there Lexus400, I guess I'm too new to this forum for it to let me PM you, so I hope you see this & send me that rear shock tutorial!

Thanx

PS--this forum is a @#$%ing God-send!