Power Steering Issues

ghallam

I need some Help.........I just got my '92 LS 400 this year, and I'm a novice at working on them. Recently, the steering column started squeaking, especially when cold. Now just today, the steering became very tight, as if there was very little power steering available.

during lunch, i'm going to check out the fluid level. But what else should i check ? what are common failure items ?

any help would be appreciated !

thanks !!!!

I need some Help.........I just got my '92 LS 400 this year, and I'm a novice at working on them. Recently, the steering column started squeaking, especially when cold. Now just today, the steering became very tight, as if there was very little power steering available.

during lunch, i'm going to check out the fluid level. But what else should i check ? what are common failure items ?

any help would be appreciated !

thanks !!!!

I recently bought a LS400 and had a similar Power steering leakage problem. A mechanic recommended a Power steering treatment called Hapco which cured my problem. They have two Power Steering treatments and I purchased the one for fixing leaks. I believe that what it did was freed up the valve that becomes sticky and often needs replacement. MY problem has been solved for about 6 months. Good Luck.

check not only the fluid level... but in my opinion i would check the ground for some leaks... or look under the hood and see if there are any leaks or oil on hoses and stuff like that. You realli don't want the pump to be leaking cause it might leak on the Alternator... and then you'll have several problems on top of that.

It sounds like your power steering pump is about to go bad. I'd think about buying a remanufacturered one. You can also do a quick search for power steering pump in the LS Forum. This will give you an idea on how much you're going to need to spend, and there are some links to a tutorial on how to accomplish this.

If all else fails re-post and we can help you change the pump. If you want one from Lexus private message me and I'll help you get one below the retail cost.

good luck

what are common failure items ?

Your power steering problems will never end unless these filters in the system are cleaned and kept clean:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/pscreen.JPG

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/psclean.jpg

For profit motivated reasons, many shops and mechanics would rather sell you a new power steering pump or steering rack instead of simply cleaning these filters out with brake cleaner.

Search this forum using "power steering filter" and "solenoid filter" as your search words to get more detailed information.

what are common failure items ?

Your power steering problems will never end unless these filters in the system are cleaned and kept clean:

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/pscreen.JPG

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/psclean.jpg

For profit motivated reasons, many shops and mechanics would rather sell you a new power steering pump or steering rack instead of simply cleaning these filters out with brake cleaner.

Search this forum using "power steering filter" and "solenoid filter" as your search words to get more detailed information.

To MONARCH, how does one clean the filter inside the PS pump or is this even doable?

Monarch is referring to the

Solenoid Screen (on the Rack)........it is cleaned with brake cleaner

do a search and you'll find lots of info on this procedure.....

&

The screen within the PS Fluid Reservoir. I believe you remove the reservoir and flush with new Dex III and /or Brake cleaner......

Anyway, PS fluid should be flushed every 30K (in my book, every year) to keep the system clean.

Do the flush and solenoid screen clean. I just did mine. What a difference it made.

Hey monarch, I don't know if it's just me but your links don't work for me. I'm real interested in seeing your photos.