Shocks Replacements

Hello all, i am new to this forum ,, anyway

i have lexus es 300 96, with almost 105K miles, i think i have to replaced shocks,

and i have a few questions:

1. where should i replace ( i live in boston area) the lexus dealer want 2,000 and toyota delaer about 1400, i don't want to spend this money the car cost about $6k

2. what brand should i use for my shocks

3. what people normally pay for shocks, and for 105K service again i live in Boston area

THanks a lot

For Lexus, the cost of replacing the struts is about right. My dealer told me from $1800-2000 for it. I believe an independent repair shop could probably do it for about $1,000 (make sure they're trustworthy!!!).

Oh ya by the way I believe your car has the standard struts (non-AVS), and I think they are KYB struts. AVS wasn't available until '97 or so.

try http://www.tirerack.com, you may consider to replace the struct mount and struct together.

KYB struct mount : $45 rear -$47 front

KYB struct : $57 rear - $72 front

the labor is around $150 at Firestone (Dallas Tx) for each side.

Also, you might need to find out if your 96 model have a insulator which is the part sit between the struct 4" diameter plate and the coil spring, that one is about $20/piece at Toyota dealer. it should under $1k for four of them.

good luck.

micheal,

first, where are you in the bay state?

I know a good independent mechanic in Marshfield right off of route 3.

Have you gotten an estimate from Midas or Meineke or the like? Just for giggles, I am curious as to what they would charge you.

KYB are the stock struts. You can get them online. See if any independent in your area will allow you to provide the parts and they do the work. This will cut your costs.

steviej

micheal,

Have you gotten an estimate from Midas or Meineke or the like?  Just for giggles, I am curious as to what they would charge you. 

KYB are the stock struts.  You can get them online.  See if any independent in your area will allow you to provide the parts and they do the work.  This will cut your costs.

steviej

Thanks for reply, i live in Boston area (Newton) and Marshfield would probably be little far, I still collect information and I haven't call Midas or Meineke yet, i will do this week, Thanks again for reply

micheal,

Have you gotten an estimate from Midas or Meineke or the like?  Just for giggles, I am curious as to what they would charge you. 

KYB are the stock struts.  You can get them online.  See if any independent in your area will allow you to provide the parts and they do the work.  This will cut your costs.

steviej

Thanks for reply, i live in Boston area (Newton) and Marshfield would probably be little far, I still collect information and I haven't call Midas or Meineke yet, i will do this week, Thanks again for reply

Michael, let me know how it went or if you find a dependable & reasonable independant shop near Boston. I inquired at my local NTB and they will put your parts in charging the labor.

micheal,

steviej

Michael, let me know how it went or if you find a dependable & reasonable independant shop near Boston. I inquired at my local NTB and they will put your parts in charging the labor.

i don't think, NTB is a good place to put shocks, they don't even don't know how to put tires right, at least one NTB in Allston Ma on Cambridge Street

Thanks for reply and concerns

Mike

Did you call midas or meineke yet? I'm personally going to have my struts replaced by the dealer, but luckily I know the tech, so he's going to knock the price down for me. It's funny, he told me the struts are worn out and need to be replaced, but besides the clunk sound I hear, the ride is pretty satisfactory and it's not bouncing all over the place. I forgot which member said this, but it is true that a worn Lexus suspension still rides better than other cars out there. I'll probably get it replaced in late January or February along with the tires.

Did you call midas or meineke yet?  I'm personally going to have my struts replaced by the dealer, but luckily I know the tech, so he's going to knock the price down for me.  It's funny, he told me the struts are worn out and need to be replaced, but besides the clunk sound I hear, the ride is pretty satisfactory and it's not bouncing all over the place.  I forgot which member said this, but it is true that a worn Lexus suspension still rides better than other cars out there.  I'll probably get it replaced in late January or February along with the tires.

are you planning to change the springs and strut mounts too? i'm planning a suspension upgrade myself mainly bc i'm still riding on the original and also i'm hearing the clunking sound in the rears (more noticeable in this colder weather). my ride is alittle rough over bumps but i'm not bouncing around. i agree, a worn Lexus suspension still rides rather decent on my 95.

I think when I replace the struts I'm going to replace them with tokico blue's from ebay..they're like $350 shipped I think, and then just take them to any performance shop..like SK said it'd be around $200. I have replaced shocks and springs and lowered cars before but not a lexus..I don't trust myself for that :)

mine are kinda creaky and they squeak too... I think they need to be replaced. but the ride is still way smooth

are you planning to change the springs and strut mounts too?  i'm planning a suspension upgrade myself mainly bc i'm still riding on the original and also i'm hearing the clunking sound in the rears (more noticeable in this colder weather).  my ride is alittle rough over bumps but i'm not bouncing around. i agree, a worn Lexus suspension still rides rather decent on my 95.

Ya I'm changing the strut mounts and any other suspension related mounts/bushings there too because the technician said they are deteriorating (at least the top strut mounts are). As far as the springs go, he didn't say anything was wrong with them. I'm just going to replace the suspension with OEM struts and mounts. I want to keep the standard smooth Lexus ride.