My New Car Is Sputtering And Hesitating Badly?

I am in a straight betwixt two...........I JUST bought my 95 SC400 with 124k and all of a sudden it is sputering and hesitating and running like trash!!! Anyone know the problem? It started about 10-15 miles after putting 15 bucks of gas in (93 oct). That could be related, not sure. Dealer hiding something possibly also. I just filled the gas tank and also put in some Heet (takes out water in gas lines/tank) and also some fuel injector cleaner. Another posibility (i hope it is this), for the first time it is below freezing and the tank was empty during the chilly weather outside all night. could have froze the line somewhere, maybe. Anyone know?

I am in a straight betwixt two...........I JUST bought my 95 SC400 with 124k and all of a sudden it is sputering and hesitating and running like trash!!!  Anyone know the problem?  It started about 10-15 miles after putting 15 bucks of gas in (93 oct).  That could be related, not sure.  Dealer  hiding something possibly also.  I just filled the gas tank and also put in some Heet (takes out water in gas lines/tank) and also some fuel injector cleaner.  Another posibility (i hope it is this), for the first time it is below freezing and the tank was empty during the chilly weather outside all night.  could have froze the line somewhere, maybe.  Anyone know?

If the fuel line is frozen, the car wouldn't run at all. If it's just water, it's going to take some time to run that out. Don't know if you can, but storing in a warm garage somewhere for a while and then trying it should tell you.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up changing the fuel filter (lucky me) and it fixed it. Story is, i drove the car back from the dealership with little to no gas in it. That means i sucked up all the sediments on the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter. i'm running fuel cleaner and fuel injector cleaner through it now to help fix it more. Whhheeewww that scared me.

I thought about lookin inside till i realized how strong it was. i don't care enough to bust a saw blade i guess, haha, i just know it was the problem most likely. I'm so glad to see and hear her runnin like a just purchased SC400 should run.

Showing it off with no passenger door opening is a pain though! very unlike Lexus to use a plastic trash clip for the rod inside the latch assembly. if only i could find that part before i run out of inspection time!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the help guys.  I ended up changing the fuel filter (lucky me) and it fixed it.  Story is, i drove the car back from the dealership with little to no gas in it.  That means i sucked up all the sediments on the bottom of the tank and clogged the filter.  i'm running fuel cleaner and fuel injector cleaner through it now to help fix it more.  Whhheeewww that scared me.

Interesting - you are the first person to report a problem being fixed after replacing the fuel filter. This is encouraging since the fuel filter is supposed to be a life time item.

I am having a similar problem on my LS400 and now I am willing to give this thing a first try. Will report back if it fixes my hesitation problem as well.

I had a similar issue resolved by a new fuel filter. Who would have believed it.

Same here. Shortly after I bought my 92 SC400 I started having the same problem. I gave the car a complete tune up and it was still present. Then I replaced the fuel filter and the problem went away. THOSE DAMN FUEL FILTERS!!! They SUCK to change!

Some filters are a pain to get to definatly

I have a question for all those who have changed their filters because of a problem with it

where do you buy gas

in a big city or rural areas?

do you go tot hte bottom of the tank before refilling?

premium or regular gas

thanks jsut takign a non scientific poll