Rx 300 Transmission Shift

bowtie3

We've had my wife's 2000 RX 300 about a year and a half now. [ 49,000 miles ] She bought it from the dealer, and with it came the Certified Warranty. I take it in every 4 months for the oil/filter change. Early on I asked the service advisor to have the 1st-2nd shift checked as it seemed slow to me. They told me it was fine. About a month ago I asked them about it again and after a road test I was told everything was OK. The technician told me that these vehicles shift " slow and smooth " because the customers would complain if they shifted " quick and harsh ". I've driven the neighbors' 2000 RX 300 and it was worse than ours. Is this the design of the transmission or is this a sign of future problems? I'm a retired GM tech and have owned many trucks with " shift kits " and " reprogrammers " and it seems to me that a transmission that shifts this slow is cause for concern. A transmission that shifts quicker usually lasts longer. Do any of you other owners share this concern or am I just a " worrier "?

I have a 99 rx300 and i had to have my transmission checked as well. Mine seems to almost stick when it is cold all the way through 3rd with 3rd being the hardest to change out of. They said it was just the cold weather and if it gets worse they will look at it again. I found this very odd...

Bowtie 3,

Spend some time researching the RX300 transmission problems that a number of us have posted on various threads contained within this forum over the past year or so. Based on our experiences with my wife's 2000 RX300, I believe that the transmission is the weakest component in this particular vehicle. Some owners believe that the transmission cooling system is poorly designed and insufficient to do the job, at least one moderator on this site has recommended the installation of external transmission coolers in an effort to resolve some of the problems. I haven't made the decision to go that route, but it may be an option that you want to consider if you decide to keep your vehicle for a significant period of time.

Our transmission was replaced under Lexus warranty in November 2003 at approximately 48,000 miles after I wrestled with our local dealership for about a month. Since then, I've changed the fluid myself using nothing but Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, and I'll do that as long as we keep this vehicle. Although our "new" transmission does not freeze up between gears as the original one intermittently did, it still does not shift as smoothly and effortlessly as I expect a transmission to in a vehicle that carried a sticker price of almost $40,000.

As you might surmise from our experiences, when it's time for a new vehicle for my wife, we won't be purchasing another RX.

• 3 weeks later...

:cries: I am 2nd owner of 99RX300. I experienced similar 1st thru 3rd sluggish gear shifting problems a year ago (Dec 2003) with 68k miles. Took it to independent garage thinking it was out of warranty. Garage is Lexus certified to repair but they couldn't duplicate problem and returned to me. Took it back in March'04 same problem but they still couldn't duplicate problem. They did change the tranny fluid. Summer went by with no noticeable problems. In Sept'04, RX with 75k miles refused to go in Reverse. I had to shift into Drive and then into Reverse for gear to engage. But afterwards when I put it back in Drive, it started shuddering violently so I had it towed to Lexus Dealership. Dealership could not duplicate problem and charged $289 for a tranny flush. They said no oil leaks although fluid was extremely low. Three weeks later returned RX back to Dealership because it would not engage in Reverse. Dealership still could not duplicate problem and returned to me. Charged me $58 but later reimbursed. Six weeks later the tranny completely dropped out of gear while in motion. This is scary thought if it would have happened on the freeway. I had it towed to Dealership again. This time they said I need new tranny because something broke. They found metal shavings on the dip stick. Quoted $4250 to replace with remanufacture with only 12k/12month warranty. I asked for goodwill warranty coverage since there are service bulletins regarding tranny problems and they only offered 25% discount based on age and mileage. RX was in their shop from 11/20th thru 12/07th before RX was ready and they would not give me a loaner. I sent letter to Lexus/Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance, Ca requesting reimbursement for the tranny and tranny flush. They refused to reimburse. I am now considering small claims. My advice is don't let warranty run out before you get tranny problem fix because it is much harder to get good Lexus service after that.

Any of you out there try small claims?

:ph34r: I have an RX300 and they corrected the problem to a degree. What I've seen and been told by service reps. is in the 99_> early 01 the vehicle would not shift into drive from low 2 until the fluid reached a certain temp. I believe it was around 260*. After it reached optimal temp it would resume a normal shifting pattern. The lousy feel of the transmision would become 10 fold worse if you happen to drive down hills alot before it reached this optimal temp. My 01 RX300 was not to bad, but I have driven numerious others that were downright annoying. I recieved numerous reasons from Lexus as to why it does such a thing, the last one being to keep the emissions down (whatever)! I see quite a few transmisions for older RX300's being replaced by factory remans. with relitivley low miles (under 120,000) these things are very peticular maitenence wise. Even with scheduled maitenence they go out ( in my mind and opinion ) fairly easy considering its a "Lexus". It scars me so much I do my trans. every 15,000 miles and I hope that helps. I recently picked up a RX330 to take over the brunt of the driving miles to preserve my baby alittle longer (currently has 38,000 miles on my 01 silversport) :ph34r: Nijna Lexus Guy!

• 4 weeks later...
:cries: I am 2nd owner of 99RX300. I experienced similar 1st thru 3rd sluggish gear shifting problems a year ago (Dec 2003) with 68k miles.  Took it to independent garage thinking it was out of warranty. Garage is Lexus certified to repair but they couldn't duplicate problem and returned to me. Took it back in March'04 same problem but they still couldn't duplicate problem.  They did change the tranny fluid. Summer went by with no noticeable problems.  In Sept'04, RX with 75k miles refused to go in Reverse. I had to shift into Drive and then into Reverse for gear to engage. But afterwards when I put it back in Drive, it started shuddering violently so I had it towed to Lexus Dealership. Dealership could not duplicate problem and charged $289 for a tranny flush.  They said no oil leaks although fluid was extremely low. Three weeks later returned RX back to Dealership because it would not engage in Reverse. Dealership still could not duplicate problem and returned to me. Charged me $58 but later reimbursed. Six weeks later the tranny completely dropped out of gear while in motion. This is scary thought if it would have happened on the freeway. I had it towed to Dealership again. This time they said I need new tranny because something broke. They found metal shavings on the dip stick. Quoted $4250 to replace with remanufacture with only 12k/12month warranty.  I asked for goodwill warranty coverage since there are service bulletins regarding tranny problems and they only offered 25% discount based on age and mileage. RX was in their shop from 11/20th thru 12/07th before RX was ready and they would not give me a loaner.  I sent letter to Lexus/Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance, Ca requesting reimbursement for the tranny and tranny flush.  They refused to reimburse.  I am now considering small claims.  My advice is don't let warranty run out before you get tranny problem fix because it is much harder to get good Lexus service after that.

HI, I have same problem as yours and my RX300's transmission broke down while on the freeway and it's very dangerous because it just didn't move but slow down. I called Lexus and it seems like they don't want to do anything because it's out of the warranty. My RX300 has 100 k but that's not the point. Lexus will call me within 2 days to advise what they are going to do but I doubt that they will do anything. I will have the shop to replace the transmission first and try to get reimburse. Please let me know what's your outcome and what are you going to do. Thanks.

:cries: I am 2nd owner of 99RX300. I experienced similar 1st thru 3rd sluggish gear shifting problems a year ago (Dec 2003) with 68k miles.  Took it to independent garage thinking it was out of warranty. Garage is Lexus certified to repair but they couldn't duplicate problem and returned to me. Took it back in March'04 same problem but they still couldn't duplicate problem.  They did change the tranny fluid. Summer went by with no noticeable problems.  In Sept'04, RX with 75k miles refused to go in Reverse. I had to shift into Drive and then into Reverse for gear to engage. But afterwards when I put it back in Drive, it started shuddering violently so I had it towed to Lexus Dealership. Dealership could not duplicate problem and charged $289 for a tranny flush.  They said no oil leaks although fluid was extremely low. Three weeks later returned RX back to Dealership because it would not engage in Reverse. Dealership still could not duplicate problem and returned to me. Charged me $58 but later reimbursed. Six weeks later the tranny completely dropped out of gear while in motion. This is scary thought if it would have happened on the freeway. I had it towed to Dealership again. This time they said I need new tranny because something broke. They found metal shavings on the dip stick. Quoted $4250 to replace with remanufacture with only 12k/12month warranty.  I asked for goodwill warranty coverage since there are service bulletins regarding tranny problems and they only offered 25% discount based on age and mileage. RX was in their shop from 11/20th thru 12/07th before RX was ready and they would not give me a loaner.  I sent letter to Lexus/Toyota Motor Sales in Torrance, Ca requesting reimbursement for the tranny and tranny flush.  They refused to reimburse.  I am now considering small claims.  My advice is don't let warranty run out before you get tranny problem fix because it is much harder to get good Lexus service after that.

HI, I have same problem as yours and my RX300's transmission broke down while on the freeway and it's very dangerous because it just didn't move but slow down. I called Lexus and it seems like they don't want to do anything because it's out of the warranty. My RX300 has 100 k but that's not the point. Lexus will call me within 2 days to advise what they are going to do but I doubt that they will do anything. I will have the shop to replace the transmission first and try to get reimburse. Please let me know what's your outcome and what are you going to do. Thanks.

Well joiin the club of dissatisfied Lexus RX300 tranny failures. Yes Lexus of Torrance will do nothing for you. They are worthless and don't care about the customers opinion. Punch in RX300 Transmission and see the real problem.