Help! I'm Buying A Ls 400 Tomorow...need Advice

Spalato

Hi...this is my first post

Im prolly buying a 1990 LS 400 tomorow...and I need some advice

Everything is fine with the car exept when the car is at a stop and the gear is in drive...a slight vibration occurs, once the car starts rolling the vibration stops...

The odometer states the mileage is 115k, but I dont no if it is the actual mileage...

Is this a common thing or should I worry about it...

Is it due to the automatic transmission fluid or will I need a tranny rebuild???

Please help me so I know what to do...

Thanks

If it does it while the car is stopped- I do not think it is the tranny. Perhaps the engine needs new plug wires? My 90 LS did this at idle, until the plug wires were replaced. Be sure to have the car checked by a reputable mechanic. These older LS 400s have their fair share of problems that can be costly to repair. I found out the hard way.

Good luck and welcome to LOC!

You should either bring it to a mechanic and have it checked out or just pass on the deal.

Agreed! If they won't let you take the car to have it inspected......RUN, don't walk away (& be patient for another car). B) See if you can obtain service records for the car & perhaps contact Lexus head office in the U.S. to see what warranty & service work they have on file to get a better idea of how the car has been cared for. Welcome to the club & Good Luck! ;)

:cheers:

i agree with Freak and everyone else, i wouldn't mess with it, it could be anything, there are some cherry LS's out there, that run the same way they did rolling off the showroom floor and with complete maintence documentation.

just be patient and look around, you'll find a sweet one don't worry ;)

:cheers: Welcome to the world of Lexus! I have a 1990 myself, with 89000 miles and have never stopped loving the car. The Lexus "Charm" will grab hold of you in short order!

Tranny? I never experienced what you are describing but don't like the sound of it. I really think you should spend a few dollars with a Lexus/Toyota mechanic (private) so get a professional opinion. Also, has the timing belt been replaced? That is a BIG item you should know about at those miles!!

Really, get yourself a diagnosis for $50 or so. Will be well worth it. This is a fine car but if it is being sold, does the owner know something you don't?? Hmm?

Best of Luck and have a nice Holiday

Ron Johnson

Thanks for the reply guys...

I test drove it and I think its a excelent car...I like it a lot! But you never now what can be wrong...and I found out that the owner just bought it 3 months ago...so why is he seeling it so fast???

There is plenty of other LS 400's for sale...so I think Ill pass on that particular LS...

I looked at a 1992 LS400 last week. It had 120K miles, was gold and had 16" five point wheels with quite good VR tires. Interior was brown or dark tan and lokked pretty good. Guy wanted $8500. A little high for what I saw.

Anyway, Spalato, you just bought a really cool car, welcome to LOC.

Denny

Oh man,

Guess I need glasses! When you buy one, you will love it. When you drive a nice LS it is so cool. They are so glassy smooth and powerful. Now that I put that K&N on there it is even more fun!

Thanks for the reply guys...

I test drove it and I think its a excelent car...I like it a lot! But you never now what can be wrong...and I found out that the owner just bought it 3 months ago...so why is he seeling it so fast???

There is plenty of other LS 400's for sale...so I think Ill pass on that particular LS...

Wise decision Spalato..... B)

Be patient and the right LS will come along in better condition with no major things wrong (or possibly wrong) to be of concern. Keep us posted! :)

:cheers:

...and I found out that the owner just bought it 3 months ago...so why is he seeling it so fast???

don't walk...... run :lol:

he probably realized it would cost a couple of grand to fix the car....LS's don't turn over like that. usually when someone buys one they fall in love, and don't even think about selling it.

its fishy, stay clear of this one........u'll find a cherry one, just need to be patient.

Well, I will be the first to say that the LS is a super car, but when the miles start to pile up, they can be costly to maintain. I did not realize how much I loved my LS until I sold it, but it needed costly repairs that I did not want to shell out the big $$$$ for. In a way, I regret selling it. I still have not replaced the car- I am still looking for another daily driver. I do not want to drive my older cars to work, so I have been consistantly driving my mothers car, because she hardly drives it. Going from a Lexus LS400 to an Oldsmobile Acheiva is not a pleasant change. I really like my old Pontiac, because it is comfortable, powerful (455 V8) and no one will pull out in front of me when I drive this tank. :) 0 not to mention- there are not many others like it on the roads these days.

My mother knows the lady that bought my old LS400, because she works at the Walgreens pharmacy where we shop. My mom asked her how the car was doing and she said "excellent" and that she loves it. I am glad it is doing well for her. Its only problems were actually annoyances- that probably would not bother most folks. I am just too particular I suppose. I would buy another in a flash, but I would check it out more closely, now that I know what to look for. I would also have to buy a lower mile example.

Good luck with your search.