Power Window Problem

Chazro

My ES300 driver's side window switches are getting

flaky. Each local window switch works fine for up and down.

However, on the driver's window switches I can't roll the

right rear window *up* or the right front window *down*.

Again ...each door's window switch works fine.....the problem

is with the driver's window switches that control the front

and back passenger windows.

What gives? Is there a way to remove the d/s switch without

tearing up the panel? Any hints/help appreciated.

-CT

:wacko:

Chazro,

Your driver's door switches sound like they are at fault.

Tape a flat bladed screwdriver (so it won't mar the panels) and pry up the power window woodtrim panel in the door. The entire panel, switches included, should all come out at the same time. There should be enough slack in the wiring to allow you to turn the entire unit upside down,and disconnect the wiring connectors. You have 3 courses to choose now. Take a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and spray all the seams of the offending switches to get the liquid inside. Immediately cycle the switch on and on and off to try and clean the switch contacts. You may have to do this twice. Reconnect the switch AFTER YOU'RE CERTAIN THAT THE LIQUID HAS EVAPORATED and try its operation. If that doesn't do it, it is possible to take the individual switches apart and clean their contacts. Its fiddley, using thin bladed screwdrivers or knives, and you must be careful of losing any of the tiny springs and copper pieces inside. Barring that, a trip to an auto recycler will find the switches you need. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar problem, but only with driver's side window. It will alwayas go down, but will not go up reliably. If it "rests" for a while, it will go up partially. Several such cycles gets it to the top. No corrolation with engine off or on, car moving, other window or lock activity, door open or closed. Would like help on how to remove paney correctly. Thanks

My ES300 driver's side window switches are getting

flaky.  Each local window switch works fine for up and down.

However, on the driver's window switches I can't roll the

right rear window *up* or the right front window *down*.

Again ...each door's window switch works fine.....the problem

is with the driver's window switches that control the front

and back passenger windows. 

What gives?  Is there a way to remove the d/s switch without

tearing up the panel?  Any hints/help appreciated.

-CT

:wacko:

I have a similar problem. On my driver side window the auto down will work find but the auto up will go all the way up then down half way and stop. I took it to a friend who is a mechanic and he called his buddy and ran some kind of test to test each circuity under the wood panel. The plug looks a lot like the main power plug from a power supply that goes into a computer motherboard. One of the small hole things was bad only way to fix they said is to replace with a new one. It's around $300 or more just for the part. I'd just stick with it. I'm annoyed by the auto up but it is better than blowing 300.

Hope that helps

• 2 months later...
Chazro,

Your driver's door switches sound like they are at fault.

Tape a flat bladed screwdriver (so it won't mar the panels) and pry up the power window woodtrim panel in the door. The entire panel, switches included, should all come out at the same time. There should be enough slack in the wiring to allow you to turn the entire unit upside down,and disconnect the wiring connectors. You have 3 courses to choose now. Take a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and spray all the seams of the offending switches to get the liquid inside. Immediately cycle the switch on and on and off to try and clean the switch contacts. You may have to do this twice. Reconnect the switch AFTER YOU'RE CERTAIN THAT THE LIQUID HAS EVAPORATED and try its operation. If that doesn't do it, it is possible to take the individual switches apart and clean their contacts. Its fiddley, using thin bladed screwdrivers or knives, and you must be careful of losing any of the tiny springs and copper pieces inside. Barring that, a trip to an auto recycler will find the switches you need. Good luck.

My 97 ES300 has similar problem. Auto up of drivers window has ceased working. Have to hold the switch in order to close the drivers window.

I tried prying the the woodtrim panel in the door, but was unable to take it out. I used quite a bit of force and was afraid that I was going to break it. Shall I use more force? Or is there a technique in doing that, like prying from the long side or short side first? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.