Got Faded Yellow Lens? Use This!

I just purchased a 95 gs300 and the outside lens were so faded, you could not see the bulbs inside! Years ago, I heard about people using Brasso, a metal cleaner you can find just about anywhere. They used this stuff to clean plastic faded lens, so I figured I'd give it a try. After 3 applications, they came out 95% clearer! I could see my 300's pretty eyes! ;) The previous owner had the rear painted and some overspray of clear coat got on the rear lens. This stuff disolved it and made it like new. Afterwards, I applied Mother's Gold Class on all the lenses to give it a layer of protectant. I really thought I was going to have to buy new headlight lens due to the drastic fadeness. I did this to the fog lights too. Just a tip for you all that really amazed me. I don't have before pics, but I will post some 'after' shots soon.

DISCLAIMER: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR VEHICLE. THIS METHOD WORKED FOR ME AND MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.

I just purchased a 95 gs300 and the outside lens were so faded, you could not see the bulbs inside!  Years ago, I heard about people using Brasso, a metal cleaner you can find just about anywhere.  They used this stuff to clean plastic faded lens, so I figured I'd give it a try.  After 3 applications, they came out 95% clearer!  I could see my 300's pretty eyes! ;)  The previous owner had the rear painted and some overspray of clear coat got on the rear lens.  This stuff disolved it and made it like new.  Afterwards, I applied Mother's Gold Class on all the lenses to give it a layer of protectant.  I really thought I was going to have to buy new headlight lens due to the drastic fadeness.  I did this to the fog lights too.  Just a tip for you all that really amazed me.  I don't have before pics, but I will post some 'after' shots soon.

DISCLAIMER:  I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR VEHICLE.  THIS METHOD WORKED FOR ME AND MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU.

Meguiars PlastiX will do the same, but maybe not to the same degree of effectiveness. thanks for the tip! :cheers:

• 5 months later...

I'm new to this so please bear with me. My baby is in good condition with just showing speckling of rust on the hood which don't really bother me. What bothers me is the yellowing of my headlight lens as you note. I just ordered some of that brasso stuff, since I'm not normally one to wash my veicle myself (my boyfriend used to do it every week for me) so I am questioning when you say "after 3 applications" can you clarify specifically? Do you mean, apply it, let it dry, buff it off and then reapply the same day or do you mean 3 spaced out applications, say for instance once a week over a period of 3 weeks, etc. I know this may sound like a numnut question but again this is all new for me (yes, you're spoon feeding a novice :blushing: . She has given me 10 years of excellent life and I think she deserves to see clearly out of bright eyes and paying for new ones is just hard for me to do....Any assistance/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I read the posts about using Brasso.I used it in the 60's but had never used it on plastic so I took a can with a polishing pad and a microfiber towel to the junk yard to test it first on junker yellow headlights before I tried it on my 93 sc300.It worked great.I put a little Brasso on the polishing pad,rubbed it on good then buffed it off good with the microfiber towel.I repeated this process 3 times then used Plexis after that to protect the lens.The owner of the junk yard and I couldn't believe what a great job that Brasso did.Do the test yourself there must be some old cars somewhere by you.Try it on them first and you'll see how good it works and they stay looking good also.It's a cheap,good and quick fix.

I read the posts about using Brasso.I used it in the 60's but had never used it on plastic so I took a can with a polishing pad and a microfiber towel to the junk yard to test it first on junker yellow headlights before I tried it on my 93 sc300.It worked great.I put a little Brasso on the polishing pad,rubbed it on good then buffed it off good with the microfiber towel.I repeated this process 3 times then used Plexis after that to protect the lens.The owner of the junk yard and I couldn't believe what a great job that Brasso did.Do the test yourself there must be some old cars somewhere by you.Try it on them first and you'll see how good it works and they stay looking good also.It's a cheap,good and quick fix.

Thanks...I need to go buy a polishing pad and a microfiber towel, I'm assuming I can get this at a car parts store like "Advance Auto Parts"...again, I said "spoon feeding" :P

• 1 month later...

Great idea using the Brasso. I have the same problem and would like to clarify the following. My occluded or cloudy headlamps are the two round ones on my 96' ES300 (total of four). They are so cloudy, I can barely see anything without using the brights and even then they are not that bright. If these are the same, can you (or anyone) explain how to dismantle the lens cover. Thanks from a newbie.

Great idea using the Brasso. Would anyone know how I would dismantle the lens cover from my 96' ES-300 and gain access to the four round cloudy lenses (total of four). I can barely see through them anymore. This Florida sun is murder. Help! :rolleyes:

95 -96 headlights are a different plastic and the lens actually yellows it is not just a surface buildup to be reomved.

Thanks for the heads-up. Would there be a way of replacing just the lens? Or is it necessary to purchase the entire light asssembly. And if not, would you recommend a brighter bulb. If so, then what kind? Thanks again for sharing your experience.