Tune Up Question

cowwboys

Hello all,

I am the new guy on the block. I just purchased a '91 LS 400 w/ 97000 mile on it for $6200. I don't have a clear vehicle history, but I've already had to replace the timing belt and water pump ($1200 at the Lexus dealership). I would like to take some preventative steps to avoid such large lump sum deposits. I am a do-it-yourselfer who enjoys working on cars though it isn't my occupation.

I've already changed the motor oil. However, the first maintenance that I would like to undertake is a tune-up. What should I include in this tune-up? And pardon my ignorance, but where in the hell are the spark plugs located.

Cowwboys

P.S. I will never drive any other vehicle besides a lexus. I love this car :D .

Tune-ups went the way of the do-do bird.

At 97k, even changing the spark plugs might be a waste of time.

Check the specific gravity and Ph of the antifreeze and the transmission fluid for a burned odor or look.

Tune-ups on modern cars do not involve adjustments of the fuel and ignition systems, but are still needed. The spark plugs remain as a wear point, and are replaced at fairly long intervals, being platinum type from the factory. If yours have not been done, they will need doing.

Ignition wires and the distributor caps and rotors are also checked and replaced as needed. The air filter is another routine replacement item.

Most of these items are really replaced and checked on a routine basis, and as such are a bit different from what we used to consider as a "tune-up".

Toyota coolant is a long life type and is changed at about four year intervals.

The spark plugs reside under the plastic covers that go down the center of the heads between the camshafts. Quite a few covers have to be removed to gain access to them, but it is just time consuming and not difficult. The collective opinion is to stick with the Nippon Denso factory plug, or NGK.

Well if you want to DIY... i suggest to check out several sites since they are written by people who have Done It Themselves and wrote a DIY page.

First off.... congrats on the car, wow... 97k only! Good luck and enjoy the lex. Next... save some of these links, cause it will come in handy in the future, and it has come in handy for me.

Here are some sites for DIYers:

http://www.lexls.com

this is a direct link to your Tune Up question, it's still under lexls.com's site

http://www.lexls.com/tuneup.html

Also check out the tutorial section of the LOC (Lexus Owners Club) main page. It's under Tutorials... but here's a direct link:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

it's written by many people, such as 92Lex and VBdenny and a few others... (sorry for not mentioning you guys.) :unsure:

You can also check out this website:

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos.htm

The next few websites are just in case you want to purchase Genuine Lexus Parts

http://www.irontoad.com

http://www.americanlexusparts.com

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

If you need info on trouble codes... here is a website for the codes:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Lexus/

If your looking for some used parts... check out:

http://www.taprecycling.com/ They only deal with Toyota and Lexus Cars.

If you want to download the repair manual you can check out this website and download it with a fee:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

Well i hope i can help in some way. Good luck on your car. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. People here are very friendly. Also if you have some questions, check the search engine to see if your question has been discussed before. :lol:

Parts I would replace as a 'preventitive maintenance' (also known as a major tune up & other fluid changes) measure would be:

- Spark plugs (check your owners manual for the type your 91 LS requires & you may also be able to upgrade to say Iridium plugs & make sure they are gapped correctly).

- Spark Plug wires (if so equipped)

- Fuel Filter

- PCV valve

- Air filter (consider getting a reusable K & N air filter)

- Consider doing a transmission tune up which involves either a drain & fill (only about 30% of the fluid is drained this way) OR you can find a shop that has the flushing machine that can change 100% of your fluid......check with your owners manual or Lexus dealer & make sure you use the correct type of tranny fluid.

- Throttle body cleaning

- power steering fluid flush (many Japanese cars use automatic transmission fluid for the power steering fluid......my 01 ES calls for ATF so again, look at your manual).

- Brake fluid flush

- Engine coolant flush (Toyota / Lexus has a new 'pink' super long life coolant now so find out if it's compatable with your LS). B)

Good Luck!

:cheers:

Thank all of you for your assistance. I apologize for the use of such archaic terms as "tune-up" and "record player” . I guess I've dated myself. This is an excellent sight. I am glad that I've found it. I'll put your information to good use.

Thanks again

Cowwboys

A friend of mine who is an avid DIY'r has a 92 with almost 150 k miles. He swears he has never done anything but change the oil and filters and recently pulled a spark plug to check and decided that the one was in such good shape that he put it back in and didn't follow through with the others.

He had just spent ~$1200 on the timing belt and water pump, at 150k miles!

My experience has been much the same, four of our company 92 to 95 LS400s are at or exceeding 100k, all have the original transmission fluid, PS fluid, and all but one has the factory anti-freeze. One of the four had the RMS replaced but I firmly believe that to be the result of a dealer's gofer overfilling the crankcase with oil during routine maintainance.

Tune-ups went the way of the do-do bird.

At 97k, even changing the spark plugs might be a waste of time.

Check the specific gravity and Ph of the antifreeze and the transmission fluid for a burned odor or look.

Are you saying that I should change the spark plugs?

I would change the spark plugs every several years.....it's important to follow what Lexus suggests in the Maintenance schedule. I don't think you will see "Tune up's went the way of the Dodo bird" anywhere in the schedule :chairshot: ......they will have to be replaced eventually as hey! Nothing last's forever, especially important parts like spark plugs. B)

let me tell u... i know many of u might have read this before... but my car is still stock with every fluid it came with n just about every stock items.

My car is @ 176k, still on stock plugs & wires. I just recently got the Transmission fluid changed and coolant changed for the first time. Still the same brake fluid too. Though i heard it's not a good idea. So i'll probably change the fluid soon. It's also on stock T-belt n water pump too.

The only thing under the hood i changed was my p/s pump n hose, n headlights n air filter n oil. Hahaha.

I wouldn't suggest u to do what i'm doing. But it does last longer than most car... or so it seems. Do change it... cause i'm sure u'll feel a world of difference between my car and yours. Not to mention your car is younger.

Remember to change your brake fluids ok... it's extremely corrosive.

kc, why not change the spark plugs with the mileage that's on your car? t would be worth it for the improved engine smoothness & idle......plus much better gas mileage. :blink: The only thing I am wondering is......are the plugs siezed now they have been in so long? :unsure:

let me tell u... i know many of u might have read this before... but my car is still stock with every fluid it came with n just about every stock items.

My car is @ 176k, still on stock plugs & wires.  I just recently got the Transmission fluid changed and coolant changed for the first time.  Still the same brake fluid too.  Though i heard it's not a good idea.  So i'll probably change the fluid soon.  It's also on stock T-belt n water pump too.

The only thing under the hood i changed was my p/s pump n hose, n headlights n air filter n oil.  Hahaha.

I wouldn't suggest u to do what i'm doing.  But it does last longer than most car... or so it seems.  Do change it... cause i'm sure u'll feel a world of difference between my car and yours.  Not to mention your car is younger.

Remember to change your brake fluids ok... it's extremely corrosive.

With no coolant changes, it's surprising your water pump and radiator are still functional.

As for changing the coolant and tranny fluids and all... i'm kinda a car idiot. I always thought they would be fine. I thought if the levels got low... then just fill them up. It never dawned upon me that they should require filling.

The only thing i knew to change was the oil n filter... n air filter... n tires... n whatever needs replacing... but with the fluids... i didn't really know better. I have no mechanic skills or concept or at least not until now.

I started to learn more about cars in general when i found LOC. So that's y i changed the fluid back in either Sept or Oct n found out that my tranny fluid was black as hell.

I plan to get a tune up... as soon as i have money to buy Iridium plugs and wires. I plan to do it myself. I started my first DIY back in Aug of this year when i decided to do it on my motorcycle to save money. As i learned more and found this site really resourceful, i became more daring with fixing my car and my g/f's car, sisters, and sis's b/f's car. There are still stuff i wouldn't dare touch. But in due time... hopefully i will get there.

Perhaps ask friends, co-workers & family if they know of a good independent mechanic that can work on your Lexi.......to perform the other maintenance & repairs that you don't want to DIY.....but I think those plugs (for example) need to go soon. :huh:

i personally change my plugs every year as well as all my fluids, ie....coolant flush.....ect..........its definately overkill, but it surely doesn't hurt, to have fresh parts and fluids in the car at all times..... but i'm a car nut, and i love working on my car, thats what i do for fun in my spare time, so its not a problem for me.......

you probably don't need to change anything.....like someone mentioned above i've heard of just changing the oil and air filter for the cars whole life and it being fine....(i wouldn't reccomend doing that though)

its a lot easier to maintane your car when you love doing it..........just my 2 cents

i'm sure you'll figure out your own method that works, good luck

i personally change my plugs every year as well as all my fluids, ie....coolant flush.....ect..........its definately overkill, but it surely doesn't hurt, to have fresh parts and fluids in the car at all times..... but i'm a car nut, and i love working on my car, thats what i do for fun in my spare time, so its not a problem for me.......

you probably don't need to change anything.....like someone mentioned above i've heard of just changing the oil and air filter for the cars whole life and it being fine....(i wouldn't reccomend doing that though)

its a lot easier to maintane your car when you love doing it..........just my 2 cents

i'm sure you'll figure out your own method that works, good luck

Aside from changing my oil on a regular basis (4 times a year with regular mileage), I usual do all my other major fluids (engine coolant, transmission, power steering & brake fluid) every 2 years.........I've done that for 11 years I have owned cars & never had a breakdown to this day......some might call it overkill.......I call it 'preventitive maintenance' B) & I feel I've saved in the long run by spending the money to keep every car I've had in peak condition. B) Also demands a bit more when selling the car & you produce the records to prove. :D :whistles:

Just remember when doing coolant service that regular anti-freeze in NOT usually compatible with long-life coolant. Mixing the two can cause big problems because of the reaction between the two.

Make sure you perform a 100% coolant flush then.......consider using the pink 'super long life coolant' from Toyota instead of the red 'long life'.........the pink stuff is suppose to be good for 5 years & is already pre-mixed with distilled water in a 55% / 45% mixture . B)