Transmisson Fluid

daffy

Hi,

I flushed out my tranny about 3-4 years ago and installed Amsoil synthetic transmisson oil. Reason being that it flows better in the winter time (here in Canada), and doesn't break down as easily. Now I read that you should only use toyota transmisson oil. It seems to be working fine. I want only the best for this car. What should I do now? Thanks, Daffy :blink:

I didn't know Toyota Type IV had synthetic additives either. :blink: Good to know I guess......how low does it flow in the cold? :unsure: It's MUCH colder for a longer period in Alberta than say the Toronto area right daffy? :) What year is your LS? I changed the tranny fluid in my Maxima to Mobil 1 synthetic & never had a problem sk......I wouldn't do it in the Lexus mind you. ;)

:cheers:

Toyota Type IV is a synthetic ATF, and is the best for your transmission.  Case closed.

Toyota Type T-IV can't be a synthetic ATF because it sells for only 50 cents more per quart here in the USA than Toyota's Dexron III fluid. Type T-IV may have a bit of synthetic additive, however.

Amsoil is approved to meet & exceed the Toyota T-IV fluid ....so it's okay.

Actually Amsoil is approved only by Amsoil for use in Toyota automatics requiring Type T-IV fluid. But no Amsoil product is specifically tested and approved by Toyota for use in it's automatics. And it's not chemically identical. Therefore owners who use the Amsoil are potentially taking an unnecessary and avoidable risk.

Same situation in regards to Valvoline's synthetic ATF. But at least the Valvoline Company it upfront in admitting that it's product is not specifically Toyota tested and approved.

Proprietary yes (one can't give out all their secrets) :whistles: .......however 'IF' someone uses the Amsoil synthetic atf instead the 'recommended' Toyota type IV fluid & one has a major repair (not necessarily caused by the tranny fluid as it's 'suppose to meet or exceed Toyota Type IV & is approved as such) but would Lexus back say a warranty claim if they find out that something other the fluid recommended (IE: Toyota Type IV)? Hence my suggestion for contacting Toyota head office. ;)

Toyota Type T-IV can't be a synthetic ATF because it sells for only 50 cents more per quart here in the USA than Toyota's Dexron III fluid.  Type T-IV may have a bit of synthetic additive, however.

It does have synthetic additives, but is not a totally syn. product.

AMSOIL Automatic Transmission Fluid Now Recommended for Toyota and Honda Applications

AMSOIL is pleased to announce that extensive research has determined that AMSOIL ATF meets the requirements for use in applications calling for Toyota Type T and Type T-IV fluids, and for those applications requiring Honda Z-1 transmission fluids. AMSOIL Universal ATF offers superior high and low-temperature performance. It cools and protects hot-running transmissions towing heavy loads far better than conventional fluids. For cold weather applications, it remains fluid down to -72º F to improve sub-zero performance and fuel economy. It can also improve shifting by keeping transitions between gears smooth. And by acting as an excellent heat dispersal system, AMSOIL ATF can actually deliver up to three times the service life of petroleum fluids.

AMSOIL Universal ATF has been blended to meet or exceed performance specifications in any of the following automatic transmission fluid applications:

GM; Dexron II, Dexron III, GM 6297M, GM 6417M

Ford; Mercon, Mercon V, M2C 163-A2, M2C 202B

Chrysler; ATF+ thru ATF+4, MS 7176E, MS 9602D

Toyota Type T and Type T-IV

Allison; C-3, C-4

Caterpillar; TO-2, TO-3

Voith Commercial

Opel and GM Strasbourg

Power Steering Recommending ATF

Multiple Industrial Hydraulics

Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III

Hyundai

Before changing to AMSOIL ATF, consult an owner’s manual to determine which fluids are acceptable.

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/au...oyota_Honda.htm

I didn't know Toyota Type IV had synthetic additives either.  :blink:  Good to know I guess......how low does it flow in the cold?  :unsure:  It's MUCH colder for a longer period in Alberta than say the Toronto area right daffy?    :)  What year is your LS?    I changed the tranny fluid in my Maxima to Mobil 1 synthetic & never had a problem sk......I wouldn't do it in the Lexus mind you.  ;)

Hi Lexusfreak,

It's a 1991 ls400 with 395000kms so far. I would only use Amsoil as they were one of the first to come out with synthetics. So far 200,000kms with Amsoil. Seems to work well. It gets to 40 degrees below here in Edmonton at times.

Daffy :)

Hi everyone,

I have decided to keep using Amsoil in my tranny. I am at about 200,000 kms now and will change it out in the very near future. That's how much trust I have in Amsoil. I also use it in my engine with a bypass filter and good success. At 390,000 kms I have compression of 190psi on 6 cylinders, 200 on another and 210 on the last cylinder. Manual says anything over 178psi is good. The lowest allowed is 142psi. So I feel that Amsoil probably contribute to these good compression readings. And that was with two different "Mac" compression guages! Again, I will keep using Amsoil. Great forum! Thanks for all the input.

Daffy :D

btw

synthetic oil is a synthetic way of filtering the sluid it is not an additive but synthetic oils usually get better quality additives.

Synthetic oil is basically a process to remove waxes and other build ups that are not wanted or needed in the oil basically a higher level of filtration,

so i have no clue what a synthetic additive that is in the toyota fluid could be as they have synthtic blends which is a waste of time

I'm sure the Amsoil products have helped out lot daffy considering how cold in get's out west. I wonder if I should consider using the Amsoil synthetic ATF in my 01 ES next time (since it's apparently compatable with the Toyota type IV ATF) I need to do a tranny flush? :unsure: Only problem is I like doing a complete 100% fluid change as opposed to just a 'drain & fill' :huh: The Amsoil synthetic will probably run me $10+ per litre!! :blink: :o & you need a couple bottles to 'flush out the old stuff' which comes to about 18 or so litres!! :( :cries: