Thanks... Now New Problem, Need Advice Asap

palacie

Hi again, gang,

Firstly, thanks for all your answers regarding my just done timing belt, water pump, etc., job on my '93 ES300 with 73,000 miles. Well, here's my new problem which causes me concern because I'm supposed to be driving the freeway tomorrow (about 30 miles one way) to go to my son's for Thanksgiving dinner.

After leaving the mechanic's, the car was running fine. I stopped at the gas station to fill up and, then, the market. When I got home, I noticed a burning smell when I got out of the car, coming from under the hood. Supposedly, all the belts and hoses were checked and just recently I had an oil change; I have no oil leaks in the driveway and never have had any. Is this something to be concerned about? I have noticed a 'faint' smell a couple of times in the past but, this time, it was noticeably stronger. So, now, this grandma is scared and wondering if it's even safe to make that drive tomorrow. Obviously, the mechanic was closed when I noticed it, so I couldn't ask him.

Please, somebody, answer this asap because now, I just don't what to do! I sure don't want to break down on the freeway on a holiday. Please HELP!....

Shirley

Maybe some oil spilled on the exhaust or somewhere? Are you sure it's coming from under the hood. Does it smell like sulfur or rotten eggs? Can you describe the smell in more detail?

No, it's not like sulfur or rotten eggs. Rubber, oil....? Definitely coming from the front so I assume it's from under the hood. As I said, in the past I noticed a faint smell but, this time, it's much stronger. Do you think it's safe to drive tomorrow?

Maybe some oil spilled on the exhaust or somewhere?  Are you sure it's coming from under the hood.  Does it smell like sulfur or rotten eggs?  Can you describe the smell in more detail?

No, it's not like sulfur or rotten eggs. Rubber, oil....? Definitely coming from the front so I assume it's from under the hood. As I said, in the past I noticed a faint smell but, this time, it's much stronger. Do you think it's safe to drive tomorrow?

Maybe it's some gasket sealer or something they used to put on the water pump. Can you check the coolant level? You could try running the engine for awhile, then open the hood and see if there is any smoke or whatever and where it might be coming from. Also check the temperature gauge and see if that's normal.

I couldn't really say from here, whether it's ok to drive. Can your sone come and pick you up, just in case?

Agreed.....check all your fluids before you go out. You mentioned the smell you notice is stronger......do you see any kind of smoke coming from under the hood area when your car is warmed up to operating temperature? :unsure:

:cheers:

Maybe it's some gasket sealer or something they used to put on the water pump. Can you check the coolant level? You could try running the engine for awhile, then open the hood and see if there is any smoke or whatever and where it might be coming from. Also check the temperature gauge and see if that's normal.

They told me they filled up the coolant. The temp guage was fine driving home; I'm always checking that. I'll try running the engine and then lift the hood.

I just had another thought.... If you read my earlier posts, the mechanic said that I also needed a front axle replacement as the bearings were dry. He said that I could wait a few months to do that job. Is it possible that the smell is from the dry bearings? Obviously, I'm just grasping at straws here.

Shirley

Maybe it's some gasket sealer or something they used to put on the water pump. Can you check the coolant level?  You could try running the engine for awhile, then open the hood and see if there is any smoke or whatever and where it might be coming from. Also check the temperature gauge and see if that's normal.

They told me they filled up the coolant. The temp guage was fine driving home; I'm always checking that. I'll try running the engine and then lift the hood.

I just had another thought.... If you read my earlier posts, the mechanic said that I also needed a front axle replacement as the bearings were dry. He said that I could wait a few months to do that job. Is it possible that the smell is from the dry bearings? Obviously, I'm just grasping at straws here.

Shirley

Please double check the coolant level before you warm up the engine.

If the axle bearings were gone, I think you would hear a noise.

Agreed.....I don't think you would be getting any kind of odor from the bearings being dry......just some noise. You can check to see the coolant tank level even before starting the car (it has marking for both hot & cold levels). You should be fine if it's at the "full cold" level.....I'm just wondering with the work you had done if the shop spilled a little something on the engine & it's just burning off when the engine is hot which is te cause of the smell. As an example, I just had my car rust-proofed again & the detail shop also washed the engine.....when I was driving home after picking the car up, I had a slight smell & steam because of the residue from the soap & some overspray of the rust proofing from under the hood. It went away after a couple days.......my point is perhaps the shop sprayed some kind of lubricant on the pullies when they installed the new timing belt & the residue is the cause of the smell.

Agreed.....I don't think you would be getting any kind of odor from the bearings being dry......just some noise. You can check to see the coolant tank level even before starting the car (it has marking for both hot & cold levels). You should be fine if it's at the "full cold" level.....

I ran the car for about 5 minutes and then lifted the hood. No smoke, no smell, so you might be right. I couldn't see the coolant tank level because it was too dark outside even with my outside lights on. The mechanic did tell me that all fluids had been checked. Of course, it might be something that occurs only after actually driving it. Right?

Anyway, all I can do is hope and pray that it's nothing serious, and take a 'big' chance on driving to my son's tomorrow for the holiday dinner. He can't pick me up as his wife just had another baby and they have their hands full now with two so he is needed to help with the dinner.

I'll be a nervous wreck, but I am going to chance driving tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Shirley

Double check everything in the morning with daylight......check for leaks under the car as well. Why not take a 10 - 15 min drive in your neighborhood so your still close to home.....park the car back in your driveway & pop the hood......from what your describing I think you should be fine if everything checks out at that time. :)

Use flashlight to peek into the collant tank.  :lol:

Give us a holler when you get back and let us know how it worked out.  :cheers:  :cheers:

I'll take a 'test drive' as suggested tomorrow before I take the freeway. I'll check the coolant, etc. And, yes, 'if' (haha) I get back in one piece, after the actual trip, I'll give y'all a holler and and let you know how it went.

Thanks a million for all your help and advice; say a prayer for me, please.

Shirley

palacie,

Don't take the cap off the radiator when you get back from your little drive.

Just look at the overflow jug.

If it were coolant burning, then I would expect a sweet maple syrup smell.

If it is a rubber smell then I would expect petroleum product of some kind. I am sure something has dripped onto the rear exhuast manifold or leaked and pooled next to it from the timing belt operation.

The ride around the neighborhood is an awesome idea. You may be able to see trails of smoke that will indicate where it is eminating from.

Now, you just go and have yourself a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

By the time you read this you will be full of turkey and stuffing. Enjoy and don't be worried.

If you temp is normal and not lights come on, and not drops in the driveway....go have a good time.

steviej

palacie,

Don't take the cap off the radiator when you get back from your little drive.

Just look at the overflow jug.

If it were coolant burning, then I would expect a sweet maple syrup smell.

If it is a rubber smell then I would expect petroleum product of some kind. I am sure something has dripped onto the rear exhuast manifold or leaked and pooled next to it from the timing belt operation.

The ride around the neighborhood is an awesome idea. You may be able to see trails of smoke that will indicate where it is eminating from.

Okay, all you wonderful people, here is my update on my Thanksgiving. First, I did take the suggested test drive all around the neighborhood and when I came back home, sure enough, there was the burning smell again. I lifted the hood and nothing looked strange, except the smell was still evident. I couldn't see the fill line on the coolant reservoir. There was no smoke as I was driving, and no oil was on the driveway. I thought the smell would have been gone by the next day.

But, and this is a big 'BUT', something happened again that I forgot to mention in my last posts because I thought nothing of it at the time. When I drove my car away from the mechanic's, it hesitated for a second and, then, gave a big lurch as it shifted into 2nd gear. Always, my automatic transmission has been as smooth as glass. So, I drove a couple of blocks, thinking that I should maybe drive it right back to the mechanic's. But, it didn't do it again and proceeded to shift smoothly from traffic light to traffic light along a busy main street. So, I thought it was a weird one-shot deal and proceeded on to the gas station and market. But, on Thanksgiving morning, when I went out for my 'test drive', as I was driving out of my driveway, it did it again, hesitated and shifted very roughly into 2nd gear. Then, as I was going along our street, when I tried to accelerate, the car wouldn't respond and chugged along slowly. All of a sudden, it began to respond and picked up speed, shifting smoothly, and feeling like it had before I had the work done. Now, this happened twice, both times when the car was apparently cold.

So, after the problem of the burning smell still occurring, AND the strange response to my attempt to accelerate normally, I was a nervous wreck! I talked it over with my 95 year old mother, who was going to go with me to my son's for dinner, and she definitely vetoed our trip. Long story (not so) short.... we were afraid to make the trip..... and didn't. We ended up going to our friendly Coco's Restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner and, of course, they had run out of turkey and we ended up having a chicken dish.... delicious, by the way. But, it was a very disappointing day, mainly because we didn't get to see our precious grandbabies.

Anyway, now I'm asking all you great guys, do any of you have any idea of what could be causing this 'other' problem, the lurching into 2nd and not responding to the gas pedal? Did that mechanic do something wrong? Do cars behave strangely at first when a timing belt and water pump are changed? Could it be a break-in period? This garage is closed until Monday and I sure would like some facts to confront them with when I call them then.

In the meantime, I am perplexed and worried and nervous....

Shirley

Hey Shirley

First off, no biggie about posting twice......it happens....so no worries :) Very sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving plans getting canceled because of this.....nothing more important than family. :(

One of the other 'more seasoned' members will probably have more specific info to give you than me.....but I will give it a shot. I have only about 53,000 miles on my 01 ES so I have not done the timing belt, nor water pump...and obviously it's not needed yet for a fair bit of time. Having said that, I'm not 100% sure the problems are related (not to say they are not mind you), but I guess the question I have is have you serviced the transmission regularly (fluid changes at the proper intervals, clean filter mesh & the like)? The tranny might be telling you something here....& it just might be possible because of the timing of the first problem that one would suspect the two are related, when in fact it's a coincidence. Your transmission could just be in need of a 'tune up' which involves what I have mentioned above.....many ES transmissions have 'delayed' upshifts (1st gear to second gear & so forth) when their cold.....it was one of my first concerns & first postings I asked fellow members when I took bought my 01 ES back in January. I performed a complete tranny flush (which involves getting 100% of the old fluid out as opposed to just a 'drain & fill' method which only changes about 25 - 35% of the fluid.....I'll just say it made a world of difference in the shift quality (although the first to second shift is delayed still when cold & that's by design to warm the engine up quicker) but it is smoother than it was.

I would contact the mechanic that performed the work first thing Monday morning to explain this to him & if you feel unsafe driving (or he is a way's drive to get to him), I would suggest to get him to send a tow truck to you (on HIS dime) first off, this will also prevent any possible 'incidents'. I assume you have the bill for all the work performed & have him go over everything with a 'fine tooth comb' again to be sure nothing was missed, no mistakes were made & everything checks out OK. I hope you can wait till then.......& I wish you the best of luck & please keep us posted on the situation. I hope it's nothing serious. :unsure:

Anybody else have more 'in depth' suggestions for Shirley? :huh:

Nobody has any additional suggestions or advice for Shirley?  :blink:  :huh:

I think we are all just getting back from vacation and travels.

The only thought that I have concerning the smell is a concurrent valve cover gasket leak (common problem with older ES's.)

Shirley, was the smell there before the timing belt was done? If so, you may have a very small leak around one of the valve covers. If the smell came with the return of the car after the timing belt, then maybe a seal that is involved with the timing belt may be suspect.

As for the hesitation in the tranny, when was the last time that the tranny fluid was flushed? If this problem manifested itself with the advent of the timing belt repair then maybe a vacumm hose or sensor is disconnected and needs to be hooked up. It is easy to bump a hose or a wire out of place.

In any event, I would take it back to the mechanic that did the timing belt and see what he says. He shouldn't charge you if all these go back to the timing belts repair.

If they are not agreeable then take it to another shop for a second opininon.

steviej

I think we are all just getting back from vacation and travels.

The only thought that I have concerning the smell is a concurrent valve cover gasket leak (common problem with older ES's.)

Shirley, was the smell there before the timing belt was done? If so, you may have a very small leak around one of the valve covers. If the smell came with the return of the car after the timing belt, then maybe a seal that is involved with the timing belt may be suspect.

As for the hesitation in the tranny, when was the last time that the tranny fluid was flushed? If this problem manifested itself with the advent of the timing belt repair then maybe a vacumm hose or sensor is disconnected and needs to be hooked up. It is easy to bump a hose or a wire out of place.

In any event, I would take it back to the mechanic that did the timing belt and see what he says. He shouldn't charge you if all these go back to the timing belts repair.

steviej

Hi guys,

To answer your questions, I believe that the valve gasket covers were replaced about a month ago when I had the problem of mice eating away some wiring. I do recall a faint burning odor awhile back but it disappeared after the last job.

Regarding the transmission, the last mechanic (who did the timing belt job) said I should have it flushed within the next few months, that it was okay for now.

This is an itemization of what he did do: timing belt, replace water pump, coolant, timing belt idler pulley (#1 idler pulley and #2 idler pulley), tensioner, alternator drive belt, a/c compressor drive belt, thermostat, thermostat cover housing. All this, with labor, came to $898.82 (Southern California prices, I guess)....

So, does it sound as if any of the stuff that was just done could be related to the smell and/or the difference in my once smooth transmission? Maybe that vacuum hose or sensor you mentioned....? It seems so odd that I took in a beautifully running car for preventive maintenance, and ended up with these problems. I was planning to check my transmission fluid yesterday but it was raining here...maybe tomorrow if the weather is better.

Any more suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated. You're all great.

Shirley

take it back to the mechanic that did the timing belt and explain what has happened since he did the work. I'm guessing that a vaccum line is loose, cracked or disconnected possible due to the major engine work recently done.

The valve cover replacement is new information and I am guessing the smell is traceable back to this.

steviej

I have seen the rear main seal leak oil and it drip a very small amount onto the exhaust. The smell of burning oil would come in via the vents. You would never find a leak under the car because it would leak only when hot and not very much then. VA prices $500 to replace rear seal.

Crawl up under ES and look at the exhaust in the area near the engine. If you see oil discoloration there, you have found your problem.

Notice, I have SEEN this in a 99 ES with 80K. It took me 2 months to find it.

I agree with steviej's advice Shirley......phone your mechanic that performed this work first thing in the morning to get the ball rolling.  How far is your mechanic from where you live roughly?  :unsure:

Yes, I will be calling the mechanic tomorrow. Today, I drove it a bit and I would say, the more I think about it, that the smell is more like burning rubber. The mechanic is roughly five miles or so away.

Shirley