Thanks... Now New Problem, Need Advice Asap

palacie

Any luck with the ES Shirley?  :unsure:

:cheers:

Hi,.... Thanks for asking. I came down with a cold and cough and since the weather is so terribly cold here (yes, it's southern California), even going down to 26 degrees(!) on our patio last night, I was afraid to go anywhere. If I feel better tomorrow, I'm planning to take the car back to the mechanic then.

Thanks again for your kindness and concern,

Shirley

Get well soon Shirlrey & let us know how you made out.  I hope all your concerns are resolved quick.  :)

Hi alll,

Well, here's my update, such as it is.... I took the car back to the mechanic today and after checking it over, he said that the problems had nothing to do with the work they did. (No surprise there; of course, it wouldn't be anything 'they' did wrong). He said the one problem, the hesitating and slowing down when it was cold was a transmission problem... just 'coincidental' that it drove perfectly before I drove it into his shop. He suggested that I take it to a transmission shop even though the last time I was at his place, he told me that within a few months he should do a transmission flush.

Re: the burning smell, he said it was oil leaking onto the exhaust from the valve cover gaskets and they needed replacing. When I told him that just about a month ago, when mice had eaten away some of my wiring, that I thought the valve cover gaskets were replaced, he looked surprised and said I should take it back to that garage. So, that was that with him.

I called the place that had replaced the wiring, along with much else, and they said to bring it in tomorrow and they would check the valve cover gaskets. The owner was about to leave and couldn't recall if they had, in fact, done the cover gaskets. So, that's where it stands for now.

What I am wondering now is, if the valve cover gaskets were 'not' replaced, do any of you have any ideas about a ball park figure for doing that? As I've said, this is southern California, where they charge high prices for everything. Good lord, I hope that this latest isn't another job involving hundreds of $'s.

As always, your advice will be greatly appreciated. Please answer right away as I am taking it in tomorrow and want to be semi-prepared at least.

Thanks again,

Shirley

Get well soon Shirlrey & let us know how you made out.   I hope all your concerns are resolved quick.  :)

Hi alll,

Well, here's my update, such as it is.... I took the car back to the mechanic today and after checking it over, he said that the problems had nothing to do with the work they did. (No surprise there; of course, it wouldn't be anything 'they' did wrong). He said the one problem, the hesitating and slowing down when it was cold was a transmission problem... just 'coincidental' that it drove perfectly before I drove it into his shop. He suggested that I take it to a transmission shop even though the last time I was at his place, he told me that within a few months he should do a transmission flush.

Re: the burning smell, he said it was oil leaking onto the exhaust from the valve cover gaskets and they needed replacing. When I told him that just about a month ago, when mice had eaten away some of my wiring, that I thought the valve cover gaskets were replaced, he looked surprised and said I should take it back to that garage. So, that was that with him.

I called the place that had replaced the wiring, along with much else, and they said to bring it in tomorrow and they would check the valve cover gaskets. The owner was about to leave and couldn't recall if they had, in fact, done the cover gaskets. So, that's where it stands for now.

What I am wondering now is, if the valve cover gaskets were 'not' replaced, do any of you have any ideas about a ball park figure for doing that? As I've said, this is southern California, where they charge high prices for everything. Good lord, I hope that this latest isn't another job involving hundreds of $'s.

As always, your advice will be greatly appreciated. Please answer right away as I am taking it in tomorrow and want to be semi-prepared at least.

Thanks again,

Shirley

1 valve cover:

front: #100-$175 Labor

Rear: $175-$200 Labor

both valve covers: $250-$400 depending, and thats parts and labor on that one. :D

if your tranny is slippig, i woudl not flush it.

check the fluid level and see if its where it should be. if the fluid is going bad, it may have beurned away hence the level dropping. im not sure if its possibel for that to happen, but i suppose it is. so check it. if you dont knwo how to do that, post and we can tell you :)