Bad Breaks

marathiboy

Greetings,

Last week I got my car bnck from the dealer after replacing sunroof. The next I did was to take it state inspection. Guess what, it failed due to both rear breaks are really bad. Brand new es300 with less than 11k miles, and less than a year old :cries:

So took it back to the dealer, they confirmed that rear breaks are bad, and rotor, calipar and pads needs to be replaced and warranty will cover that.

What makes brakes go bad like that? On all my previous cars, they lasted atleast 45k+ miles, one even went 70k miles (stick shift). My driving didn't change, I didn't move to more congested area..

Am I doing something wrong? What I need to do in future to make sure it doesn't happen? Should I ask dealer to replace anything else? What about front brakes, should ask them to do them too? :unsure:

Never thought breaks would be a problem on a brand new lexus

Appreciate any response.

Thanks,

SL

i don't think it's suppose to either.

Perhaps just bad luck, or maybe someone accidentally switched the new brakes with old ones.

I can't think of anything else except that you got a lemon since rotors, calipers, etc. were bad.

Sorry to hear the news. :(

Thanks all for the inputs,

I never felt that I had bad brakes, I never saw brake light on, and last time i checked the parking brakes, it was just before driving it to the dealer, the parking brakes were working correctly, meaning with breaks on, light was on, and car was not moving in drive. So it is very puzzling. No one, neither inspection guy nor dealer gave me any convincing reason why it happened.

I must say that, guy at the dealership was shocked to see the brakes.

I bought this car nov 2004, but car is 2002 model, and it had 8 miles when I bought it. I was told that it was just sitting at some place. I don't know if this has anything to do....My first few weeks it was riding rough but it got better later. I bought it since it was brand new and dealer gave me great price compare to pre-owned.

I need to find out, if anything else is wrong with the car? and how to figure it out? Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but if I need to change brakes every 11 months/11k miles, I need to learn how to change it myself or sell the car :cries:

Appreciate your responses.

SL

Thanks all for the inputs,

I never felt that I had bad brakes, I never saw brake light on, and last time i checked the parking brakes, it was just before driving it to the dealer, the parking brakes were working correctly, meaning with breaks on, light was on, and car was not moving in drive. So it is very puzzling. No one, neither inspection guy nor dealer gave me any convincing reason why it happened.

I must say that, guy at the dealership was shocked to see the brakes.

I bought this car nov 2004, but car is 2002 model, and it had 8 miles when I bought it. I was told that it was just sitting at some place. I don't know if this has anything to do....My first few weeks it was riding rough but it got better later. I bought it since it was brand new and dealer gave me great price compare to pre-owned.

I need to find out, if anything else is wrong with the car? and how to figure it out?  Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but if I need to change brakes every 11 months/11k miles, I need to learn how to change it myself or sell the car  :cries:

Appreciate your responses.

SL

one of the worst things you can do for a car is just let it sit. the dealer should be able to give you a reason for your rear brake falure.

if they are going to fix your brakes... i seriously doubt that it will happen again. But to make sure, since you said its under warranty... make sure you get your butt covered again. Before you leave, ask them again, it's not suppose to happen, and that it should be fine, but if it breaks around 11 months again, would they be able to fix it again. Like i said... if they replaced the part, it shouldn't happen again. Try to get it in writing with a person's name and of course date n signature. But of course... this is my own opinion.

Even i'm shocked that it happened.

Well if you want to learn to install brakes yourself, thats fine too. I would suggest to get it @ www.irontoad.com They r genuine lexus OEM parts store. The pads are ceramic pads just in case your wondering. They are going to be $45 for a set of front and $45 for a set of rear.

If you want, you can check out lexls's DIYer.

www.lexls.com

But just lettting you know it is for the LS400. Even though it's a different car, i believe the same concept applies to the ES300.

Well good luck n enjoy ur ES

I guessing the rear calipers were stuck, stiff or slightly dragging. Reason=lack of use.

They are being replaced, when you get it back it will be smooth as silk.

There is a TSB for front brake rotor and pad replacement on the 2002 model. Had mine done at 24k miles cause it had to be done. When you get it back complain the fronts are pulsating if they haven't already been done. I can tell easily by a picture of you rotor if it had been done. The Lexus computer will tell you also.

Bottom line: your front brake job is going to be a freebie. Play it right. Ask for the TSB while the car is still under warranty. Don't do it until you feel the pulsation in the front.....maximize your warranty if you know what I mean.

steviej

Thanks steviej,

Appreciate every ones input.

Well got my car back today, after new brake pads, and caliper, and resurfaced rotors. I was told rotors were great so just resurfaced. I was told that calipers were the most likely to be blamed.

I also asked about front brakes tsb. I was told that i didn't complain so they will not do it till I complain. :chairshot: I guess that is fair enough.

Where I will find info on the tsb which are there on 02 es? Is there a web site I need to look. I mean I would not have known about the front brakes tsb untill someone tells me :-(

SL