Newbie With Q's

JaguarS4R

Hi I am new here and my dad just got a 94 LS400 with 95k on it for a great price and wants to see how it is and will be getting an LS430 soon but in the meantime I have a few Qs for this car. Me driving nothing but German cars, I dont know much about these cars, here are the Qs:

1. When should the Timing belt be changed

2. The Changer door(flap) is missing so the CD wont play b/c the door is not closed. I dont want/need to buy the whole expensive cd changer, is there a way I can by pass that little door so the computer thinks the door is closed?

3. When you open the drivers door, the dome light and the little car with open door picture in the instrument cluster doesnt go off. It sometimes lights and sometimes doesnt, could there be a bad connection somewhere?

4. What is that little light next to the VIN # for? When does it light up?

5. For some reason, when I put the tape(cassestte) in the radio, antenna goes down, but then the radio ejects the tape and antenna goes back up, why doesnt the radio accept the tapes?

6. Another radio Q: Everytime I turn the car off, a big "BOOM" comes from speakers, even if the radio is completely off.

7. When I put the headlights on AUTO, they do turn on when it senses dark but after I shut the car off, it still stays on forever

8. What kind of ALL-SEASON tires are recommened for this car?

Thats all I can think of now, Thanks guys

For 3 and 7, you probably have a bad drivers door courtesy light switch.  It has the rubber boot over the switch, you can clean the switch and it will probably correct those problems.

What switch do I clean? The one on the door covered by the rubber boot?

#4.  It's a light sensor.  Make sure it's clean.

Thats the sensor that senses whether its dark or light outside? doesnt it also light up? If so, when does it light up?

No it doesn't light up. No need for it to. It just senses light and gives a signal to the the headlight controller.

First off, welcome! ;)

1) This varies. Lexus recommends something silly like 60k or 80k miles. 120k is a common interval. It's really easy to inspect the belt...just remove the cover that has 32v 4 cam blah, blah, blah on it, and you can see the timing belt.

2) Pioneersbuy might be able to help you with this.

3) See others

4) I know on my '95 it adjusts the reaction time of the sensor for the auto headlights(I forget what direction speeds up the reaction and vise versa). I'm sure it's the same thing on your car.

5 & 6) Dunno

7) They go off when you open your driver's door, no?

8) Check the tire section. Many recommend Michelins, Yokamahs, Toyo's, etc.

:cheers:

First off, welcome! ;)

1) This varies. Lexus recommends something silly like 60k or 80k miles. 120k is a common interval. It's really easy to inspect the belt...just remove the cover that has 32v 4 cam blah, blah, blah on it, and you can see the timing belt.

2) Pioneersbuy might be able to help you with this.

4) I know on my '95 it adjusts the reaction time of the sensor for the auto headlights(I forget what direction speeds up the reaction and vise versa). I'm sure it's the same thing on your car.

7) They go off when you open your driver's door, no?

Thanks

1) when I remove it, how exactly can I check the condition of the belt?

2) Whos "pioneersbuy"?

4/7) No they dont, They only sense dark properly but DO NOT go off, what can be at fault?

When you look at the belt, it's not going to be a certain thing, but you can get a feel for its condition. Make sure it's not dry rotten, cracked, the ribed parts are sticking out, etc.

Pioneersbuy is a LOC member with tons and tons of Lexus OEM audio equipment for sale.

I'm guessing your headlights that don't go off and dome lights that don't come on are all related to your door switch. I had this delima on my ES, and fixed it in about 1 min with a couple of squirts of WD40 and playing with the switch.

Pioneersbuy is a LOC member with tons and tons of Lexus OEM audio equipment for sale.

and fixed it in about 1 min with a couple of squirts of WD40 and playing with the switch.

How do I get a hold of Pioneersbuy?

Where is this switch that I should clean? On the door itself or on the B pillar? and what exactly do I clean? Sorry for all these Qs

Sorry for all these Qs

Don't be! That's what this site is for! ;) Here is a pic of the boot, covering on the door switch on B pillar-courtesy of www.lexls.com. I just peeled it back, inserted the WD40 extension nozzle in there..spray, and pressed/released the switch until it worked properly. Super easy!

I think you can email Pioneer. PM might be out the question since you are still new. Here's his user info page: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1629

courtesy2.jpg

Sorry for all these Qs

Don't be! That's what this site is for! ;) Here is a pic of the boot, covering on the door switch on B pillar-courtesy of www.lexls.com. I just peeled it back, inserted the WD40 extension nozzle in there..spray, and pressed/released the switch until it worked properly. Super easy!

But once I lubricate that and the dome lights start working, the AUTO feature on the headlight still will not work correctly, correct?

Out of curiosity, do your headlights still remain on even after you shut off the car and OPEN THE DOOR? Cause i know they are suppose to shut off once the door is open.

Out of curiosity, do your headlights still remain on even after you shut off the car and OPEN THE DOOR?  Cause i know they are suppose to shut off once the door is open.

yes, I can do whatever, Turn the car off, lock it, open/close the door....whatever, it will still always be on untill I manually turn the knob to OFF

But once I lubricate that and the dome lights start working, the AUTO feature on the headlight still will not work correctly, correct?

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. I'm saying that the auto headlights are controlled by the door switch, and since your dome lights don't work properly, the switch is likely causing the headlights to stay on since thay turn off when the door opens. If you get the dome lights working, I think your lights will work properly. Just try oiling that switch, I kid you not it takes all of a minute. ;)

Oooo... hmmmm... sorry... i'm no electrician. Thanks for answering my question. I'd like to find out the answer to this too in case this happens to my dad's car one day. My 92 LS4 n g/f's 92ES3 don't have the AUTO option.

Hopefully someone here will have a good idea on what to check.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted if anything new develops.

pioneerboy will usually answer your audio questions if you ask them in the audio forum.......he knows a lot he is our audio guru around here...

as for the lights your little door sensor as well as the boot is worn out, Lexls has a thread on his website for that fix, its very simple

www.lexls.com......they automatically go off on my car when i open the door, if you want them to stay on with the door open you need to open the door turn the switch off and then back on and they will come on

about the TB condition.....to check it do as blake said and if you look at the underside of the belt and you see any cracking or fraying of the belt, you are driving on borrowed time, change it out.......but those things last a long time well over the manufacters reccomendation. although it is always good to follow there spec.

i might have just dittoed everyone elses suggestions but maybe i ofered some additional help.

good luck....