Ls400 - Are They As Good As I Hear They Are?

LS400~es

I posted a cry for help yesterday. A few people read it, but no one responded!

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and for some reason cars in general are rather "over priced" around here. I have looked at autotrader.com and cars.com et al and find many LS400s with good features at reasonable prices, but they don't seem to be in my vacinity.

I am new to Lexus, but the research I have done keeps pointing me back in that direction. I have talked to and read about peoples enthusiasm for their LS400s and have decided that I should have one for myself.

I am looking for the earlier model, 1991 through 1994. I find a few in my area, but most of them are either beyond my milage requirement or over my budget.

I would like to find an individual who purchased the car new, and is now ready to upgrade to a newer model. someone who has cared for and pampered their LS400, and would like to see it go to a nice HOME IN THE COUNTRY.

As I mentioned in my previous post:

Choosing An Ls400

Please Help me Choose / Find an LS400

I had a heart attack a few weeks back and it kind of got me thinking, that rather than waiting to be able to afford a newer model, I should JUST DO IT!

So if you have (or know someone who has) an LS400 with somewhere around 120K miles, with a few options:

Traction Control

Premium Sound

Perhaps a Gold Package

Please have them contact me. I am willing to travel to get the "right car" at the right price. I would like an LS400 with immaculate maintenance and service records. I will treat it well, and yes I will give it a home in the country!

Please respond to this post, or email me directly at:

ericred13@lycos.com

Thank you much!

I'm sure if anyone that read your posts had some info, they would pass it along. Give it a little time, do some networking, sometimes insuance agents and car finance people know about nice privately owned cars for sale.

Just what are your price requiremts? On a car that age, mileage, and condition are the primary factors.

Hello. Hopefully you will get a response. Is there any reason you have eliminated the 1990 model- which is identical to the 91-92 model, in appearance and reliability? :unsure:

Try the following sites: cars.com , autotrader.com , ebay.com (beware) - these in addition to your local classifieds may increase your chances of results. Finding a low mile 90-94 LS400 will be difficult, especially a 1-owner, low mile model. Beware of mileage inaccuracy as well. I have seen several "low mile" (less than 80K) LS400s in rather poor condition- is it a fluke that they were abused, or odometer fraud possible? :unsure:

Take your time and have the car checked out closely before you purchase, by a good, trusted mechanic, or maybe even two mechanics. <_<

They are super cars, but be aware, that they are costly to maintain. As expensive as a Mercedes in my opinion. They- like all cars break down. There are lots of things to go wrong on these cars, but overall- they are bulletproof, especially the drivetrains. Not to mention that they are silky smooth. Common problems have been mentioned here time and time again: LCD climate display, instrument clusters, A/C, radio, air suspension struts (if so equipped with this option), power steering leaks, front suspension bushings, as well as some other electrical glitches. Vibrations seem to be easily noticed, because the cars are so smooth otherwise. Possible causes are tires, brake rotors, suspension components, driveshaft, etc.

Most of these problems I mentioned are on higher mile cars, but I was considering another 91 LS400 recently with only 119K and it already had the "clunking" front suspension woes- which is something my car did not develop until about 215K. Also it already had the fading LCD, which is something my car did not develop until about 229K. Also try to buy a car from a warmer climate, as these seem to hold up a bit better.

Good luck. :)

If you don't have $7,500 - $12,500 to pay for a 1 owner, low mileage '90-'94 LS400 with extensive service records then you will could up with a $5,000, multiple owner, high mileage LS400 with sporadic service records that needs or will soon need $5,000 - $10,000 worth of repairs.

Why do you want the 91-94 model years..........?

That's a 11+ year old car and it will need service. I think someone just got a 93-95 model and put $5500 into it......now it is like new basically.

Like Bartkat says......give us your $$$budget and mileage......

I posted a cry for help yesterday.  A few people read it, but no one responded!

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and for some reason cars in general are rather "over priced" around here.  I have looked at autotrader.com and cars.com et al and find many LS400s with good features at reasonable prices, but they don't seem to be in my vacinity.

I am new to Lexus, but the research I have done keeps pointing me back in that direction.  I have talked to and read about peoples enthusiasm for their LS400s and have decided that I should have one for myself.

I am looking for the earlier model, 1991 through 1994.  I find a few in my area, but most of them are either beyond my milage requirement or over my budget.

I would like to find an individual who purchased the car new, and is now ready to upgrade to a newer model.  someone who has cared for and pampered their LS400, and would like to see it go to a nice HOME IN THE COUNTRY.

As I mentioned in my previous post:

Choosing An Ls400

Please Help me Choose / Find an LS400

I had a heart attack a few weeks back and it kind of got me thinking, that rather than waiting to be able to afford a newer model, I should JUST DO IT!

So if you have (or know someone who has) an LS400 with somewhere around 120K miles, with a few options:

Traction Control

Premium Sound

Perhaps a Gold Package

Please have them contact me.  I am willing to travel to get the "right car" at the right price.  I would like an LS400 with immaculate maintenance and service records.  I will treat it well, and yes I will give it a home in the country!

Please respond to this post, or email me directly at:

ericred13@lycos.com

Thank you much!

I'm sure if anyone that read your posts had some info, they would pass it along.  Give it a little time, do some networking, sometimes insuance agents and car finance people know about nice privately owned cars for sale. 

Just what are your price requiremts?  On a car that age, mileage, and condition are the primary factors.

Why do you want the 91-94 model years..........?

That's a 11+  year old car and it will need service.  I think someone just got a 93-95 model and put $5500 into it......now it is like new basically.

Like Bartkat says......give us your $$$budget and mileage......

I don't have a lot of money that I want to put into a car right now, but would like something with some STYLE - an older LS400 is that!

I know I will have to put some money into maintenance, but if I get a well cared for car, hopefully it will be little by little.

Eric Stewart

Hello.  Hopefully you will get a response.  Is there any reason you have eliminated the 1990 model- which is identical to the 91-92 model, in appearance and reliability?  :unsure:

Try the following sites:  cars.com , autotrader.com , ebay.com (beware) -  these in addition to your local classifieds may increase your chances of results.  Finding a low mile 90-94 LS400 will be difficult, especially a 1-owner, low mile model.  Beware of mileage inaccuracy as well.  I have seen several "low mile" (less than 80K) LS400s in rather poor condition- is it a fluke that they were abused, or odometer fraud possible?  :unsure: 

Take your time and have the car checked out closely before you purchase, by a good, trusted mechanic, or maybe even two mechanics.  <_< 

They are super cars, but be aware, that they are costly to maintain.  As expensive as a Mercedes in my opinion.  They- like all cars break down.  There are lots of things to go wrong on these cars, but overall- they are bulletproof, especially the drivetrains.  Not to mention that they are silky smooth.  Common problems have been mentioned here time and time again:  LCD climate display, instrument clusters, A/C, radio, air suspension struts (if so equipped with this option), power steering leaks, front suspension bushings, as well as some other electrical glitches.  Vibrations seem to be easily noticed, because the cars are so smooth otherwise.  Possible causes are tires, brake rotors, suspension components, driveshaft, etc. 

Most of these problems I mentioned are on higher mile cars, but I was considering another 91 LS400 recently with only 119K and it already had the "clunking" front suspension woes- which is something my car did not develop until about 215K.  Also it already had the fading LCD, which is something my car did not develop until about 229K.  Also try to buy a car from a warmer climate, as these seem to hold up a bit better.           

Good luck.    :)

The main reason I lean towards a 91 and up, is that Lexus improved the brakes by increasing the rotor size, so there is less likelyhood of warping the rotors.

I appreciate your input on the odometer fraud issue, from what I hear, it is best to have lexus review the history of a car prior to purchasing it.

I agree about have a GOOD, trusted mechanic or two look it over.

I have heard about the LCD climate display and the power steering leaks. I am not sure what to think about the air suspension, it sounds good until it needs to be repaired.

I guess I hope to be lucky and get a good car, that is why I am still looking instead of just jumping for the first one I can afford. ~ es

If you don't have $7,500 - $12,500 to pay for a 1 owner, low mileage '90-'94 LS400 with extensive service records then you will could up with a $5,000, multiple owner, high mileage LS400 with sporadic service records that needs or will soon need $5,000 - $10,000 worth of repairs.

I fully agree with that ! ! ! ~ es

I'm sure if anyone that read your posts had some info, they would pass it along.  Give it a little time, do some networking, sometimes insuance agents and car finance people know about nice privately owned cars for sale. 

Just what are your price requiremts?  On a car that age, mileage, and condition are the primary factors.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I have received some feedback.

I am looking for an anomaly, a vihicle that has been well cared for. ~ es

Hi, and welcome

You still haven't really mentioned how much you are willing to spend. I understand and i know you have stated you don't want to spend much, but that still doesn't put a price range in our minds.

Your definition can be anywhere from $1,000 - 12,000 or even more. For me when i was searching for my g/f's ES300 that price range was no more than $4,000 and that wasn't easy. But for around $8,000 and up... like what monarch said, you can find a beautiful car and probably well maintained for that price... but it will all come down to whether it's readily available in your region.

It will be hard to find a car in a specific region. Depends how common that type of vehicle is in that region. For example, if i want to buy a Lexus in Plattsburgh, to some it's in the middle of nowhere... and i'm the only LS400 in the whole small city. But @ home in NYC... i have a whole bunch of them for me to pick and choose. The two cities are about 330miles apart.

It depends on how far your willing to travel to pick it up. It would definitely be easier if it's closer to home to have a mechanic you trust @ home to help check it up and build up a better relationship for future business. If there aren't any in your area, perhaps you can ask family members or friends that live in other areas to help with the search. Perhaps when friends or family goes to a grocery store or reads a local newspaper, they have car ads.

I drive the particular year LS400 that you state. It's a great car. I have nothing bad to say. I love it :lol: . But like i said in another post, any car you buy whether if it's a Kia or Lexus especially if it's over a good age, your looking for repairs. My lexi has done very good for minimum repairs and maintainence and still running on stock factory items... almost everything for that matter. I believe the only thing is Alternator and Power Steering pump that was the only thing changed. Mind you it's at 176k. My LCD hasn't blacked yet. I guess i'm pretty lucky. I plan to do a tune up soon. This will be the first time this car has ever been tuned up. I will probably feel a big surge of power when that happens.

If you do search for a car... like what 90LS400Lexus said... it's better to find a car in a warmer region. Less extreme elemental factors to worry about. Plus ROAD SALT is a big no no. But we need it, though we can resort to other less corrosive chemicals <_< ... however they cost a lot of $$$$ :angry: .

Sorry to hear about the Heart Attack. I hope you are recovering well. You definitely should rest and enjoy life in you LS400 :lol:

After reading this whole thread, I think you're looking for the impossible --- or at least highly improbable. You want something that's a real cream puff, yet has all the features you desire, is within travel range so you can check it out, and is still underpriced. You also want to be SURE that you won't have to do expensive maintenance. And it sounds like you don't want to risk buying on Ebay.

My guess is you don't want to spend the $8K-$10K necessary to get a very clean, one owner 93 or 94, since you can also get good Gen II 95s in that range. The fact is, you must go into this budgeting at least $1000-$2000 for repairs. Of course you could get lucky but it's foolish to assume otherwise. If you buy something under $5000, the odds of repairs go up substantially.

You either have to know someone who knows someone who just has to get rid of their car quickly or you have to take risks with classifieds or Ebay. I believe that I lucked out buying off Ebay, but I did my homework and budgeted for mistakes. I also think that Lexi are a bit cheaper and slower to move in the Midwest. I think there are more Lexi on the coasts, but demand is also higher and unless you know someone who must sell, there are likely to be fewer bargains.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. It's meant to be helpful. But you have to bite the bullet and decide which tradeoffs are most important. Otherwise you're just praying that something falls into your lap, and even then you won't really know for sure.

Good luck.

After reading this whole thread, I think you're looking for the impossible --- or at least highly improbable.  You want something that's a real cream puff, yet has all the features you desire, is within travel range so you can check it out, and is still underpriced.  You also want to be SURE that you won't have to do expensive maintenance.  And it sounds like you don't want to risk buying on Ebay.

My guess is you don't want to spend the $8K-$10K necessary to get a very clean, one owner 93 or 94, since you can also get good Gen II 95s in that range.  The fact is, you must go into this budgeting at least $1000-$2000 for repairs.  Of course you could get lucky but it's foolish to assume otherwise.  If you buy something under $5000, the odds of repairs go up substantially.

You either have to know someone who knows someone who just has to get rid of their car quickly or you have to take risks with classifieds or Ebay.  I believe that I lucked out buying off Ebay, but I did my homework and budgeted for mistakes.  I also think that Lexi are a bit cheaper and slower to move in the Midwest.  I think there are more Lexi on the coasts, but demand is also higher and unless you know someone who must sell, there are likely to be fewer bargains.

Sorry if this sounds harsh.  It's meant to be helpful.  But you have to bite the bullet and decide which tradeoffs are most important.  Otherwise you're just praying that something falls into your lap, and even then you won't really know for sure.

Good luck.

I agree! I am not expecting an easy search, nor am I cutting myself off from a variety of sources. I am looking locally as well as other areas of the country.

I will have to be pretty darn lucky to come up with what I am looking for!

I've got to try. I am patient. I figure, if I can get one in nice condition at Blue Book, it will serve me well. ~es

Hi, and welcome

You still haven't really mentioned how much you are willing to spend.  I understand and i know you have stated you don't want to spend much, but that still doesn't put a price range in our minds.

Your definition can be anywhere from $1,000 - 12,000 or even more.  For me when i was searching for my g/f's ES300 that price range was no more than $4,000 and that wasn't easy.  But for around $8,000 and up... like what monarch said, you can find a beautiful car and probably well maintained for that price... but it will all come down to whether it's readily available in your region.

It will be hard to find a car in a specific region.  Depends how common that type of vehicle is in that region.  For example, if i want to buy a Lexus in Plattsburgh, to some it's in the middle of nowhere... and i'm the only LS400 in the whole small city.  But @ home in NYC... i have a whole bunch of them for me to pick and choose.  The two cities are about 330miles apart.

It depends on how far your willing to travel to pick it up.  It would definitely be easier if it's closer to home to have a mechanic you trust @ home to help check it up and build up a better relationship for future business.  If there aren't any in your area, perhaps you can ask family members or friends that live in other areas to help with the search.  Perhaps when friends or family goes to a grocery store or reads a local newspaper, they have car ads.

I drive the particular year LS400 that you state.  It's a great car.  I have nothing bad to say.  I love it :lol: .  But like i said in another post, any car you buy whether if it's a Kia or Lexus especially if it's over a good age, your looking for repairs.  My lexi has done very good for minimum repairs and maintainence and still running on stock factory items... almost everything for that matter.  I believe the only thing is Alternator and Power Steering pump that was the only thing changed.  Mind you it's at 176k.  My LCD hasn't blacked yet.  I guess i'm pretty lucky.  I plan to do a tune up soon.  This will be the first time this car has ever been tuned up.  I will probably feel a big surge of power when that happens.

If you do search for a car... like what 90LS400Lexus said... it's better to find a car in a warmer region.  Less extreme elemental factors to worry about.  Plus ROAD SALT is a big no no.  But we need it, though we can resort to other less corrosive chemicals  <_< ... however they cost a lot of $$$$  :angry: .

Sorry to hear about the Heart Attack.  I hope you are recovering well.  You definitely should rest and enjoy life in you LS400 :lol:

I am hoping to get a GOOD one, somewhere in the Kelly Blue Book range.

I know it will not be simple, I have already done quite a bit of searching. I am willing to wait for the RIGHT LS400 to come along! I do have my relatives on the lookout for me. I check trader, cars.com and ebay. I also keep my eye on Craig's list and various newpapers.

I just called on one a few minutes ago that was a 92 with 125K for $5450. They had just sold it! I was very close on that one. ~es

P.S. I am feeling quite well as far as my heart is concerned. But, I have had a terrible back ache (lying still on a gurney for 22 hours, just isn't was a body likes!)

I do feel a lot better now than a few weeks ago.

whereabouts in the Pacific Northwest are you from? I search ebay quite often... if i do run by a certain car, perhaps i will send you a link and you can take a look and figure out if you like it or not.

But glad that your feeling better. Yea, be patient for now. I think you might have to wait till spring time before you can find more cars for sale.

But i'll keep an eye out for ya. Take care... bye

Tom

whereabouts in the Pacific Northwest are you from?  I search ebay quite often... if i do run by a certain car, perhaps i will send you a link and you can take a look and figure out if you like it or not.

But glad that your feeling better.  Yea, be patient for now.  I think you might have to wait till spring time before you can find more cars for sale.

But i'll keep an eye out for ya.  Take care... bye

Tom

Tom,

I bounce over the Columbia River WA and OR.

I appreciate your willingness to keep an eye out for me.

I just called on one accross the country, that sounded pretty darn good. The original owner bought a new ls430 and sold his ls400 to a guy he knew (just a few weeks ago). The new owner just bought it to resell. He says he has all the records for service. It is about 2000 miles away, but it might be worth it?

It did not have traction control (which I think is pretty important in snowy weather.

I will follow up on it further. ~es

Yea, i do know what you mean about having a good traction control car. It's a shame that my car didn't have the option when i got it. But then again, i got it from my dad... so i can't complain. It does slide if your not careful driving in the snow. It's pretty scary going uphill or downhill and when you need to brake. You just need to drive smart with the car since it is heavy and will slide down a hill even with the brakes on... b sure to pump the brakes.

If you do like the car, i believe they can ship cars from the east coast to the west coast for about $800 or up. So if you do spot a car you like, and you can't wait anymore... then i guess you can find a shipping company. I don't remember which company my friend went with, but i know he paid $800.

Yea, i do know what you mean about having a good traction control car.  It's a shame that my car didn't have the option when i got it.  But then again, i got it from my dad... so i can't complain.  It does slide if your not careful driving in the snow.  It's pretty scary going uphill or downhill and when you need to brake.  You just need to drive smart with the car since it is heavy and will slide down a hill even with the brakes on... b sure to pump the brakes.

If you do like the car, i believe they can ship cars from the east coast to the west coast for about $800 or up.  So if you do spot a car you like, and you can't wait anymore... then i guess you can find a shipping company.  I don't remember which company my friend went with, but i know he paid $800.

Thanx for the input! I was thinking I could go and get the car (air fare and gas would be less than $800, plus it would give me a change to see before I BUY).

I would just like to find somebody I felt like I could really trust and know that they had cared well for "their baby." Then I could feel like with good maintenance, it would treat me right. ~es

Finding the right car is sometimes just plain good luck. I wasn't even in the market for a Lexus (or a car) when I ran into a freind who had bought the 1990 new. Synthetic oil always, garaged, well maintanined. He bought a 99 LS400 . I asked him what he was going to do with the 90 and he hemmed and hawed and said he might keep it. Then he called me and said he might sell it. I asked how much, he said 6 grand. It went home with me. It had 120,000 at the time.

Look on autotrader.com best place with out ebay

I dont know where you are in the Pac NW, I am in Portland and find some good deals in the classifieds at The Oregonian, see link below to LS400's. Check out the website, as it has many with photos, etc. Also, in addition to Autotrader.com and Craigslist, you can try automart.com, which is a more local site, I believe. I sold my 92 LS400 last year, unfortunately, but I can tell you that they sell quickly if priced right. I have seen many while I have been looking for a new Lex for myself. If you come acrossed any SC's w/ low miles please let me know. - travis

http://www.oregonlive.com/autos/used/index...in/transrch.cgi

Finding the right car is sometimes just plain good luck.  I wasn't even in the market for a Lexus (or a car) when I ran into a freind who had bought the 1990 new.  Synthetic oil always, garaged, well maintanined.  He bought a 99 LS400 . I asked him what he was going to do with the 90 and he hemmed and hawed and said he might keep it.  Then he called me and said he might sell it.  I asked how much, he said 6 grand.  It went home with me. It had 120,000 at the time. 

Look on autotrader.com  best place with out ebay

That is exactly the type of dumb luck I am looking to fall into! That would be perfect.

~ ~ es