Maf Or O2

2000RX3

I own a 2000 RX300, the check engine light comes on every once in a while, I have had it checked at Lexus and they said it was the mass air sensor, but the mechanic told me to clean it with carburetor cleaner and that would fix it. Well the light is on again with less than 4,000 miles after cleaning. So could it be the MAF is in fact bad, or could it be a O2 sensor. The code reads "BANK ONE RUNNING LEAN" PLEASE HELP!! VERY FRUSTRIATING!!

:cries:

I own a 2000 RX300, the check engine light comes on every once in a while, I have had it checked at Lexus and they said it was the mass air sensor, but the mechanic told me to clean it with carburetor cleaner and that would fix it. Well the light is on again with less than 4,000 miles after cleaning. So could it be the MAF is in fact bad, or could it be a O2 sensor. The code reads "BANK ONE RUNNING LEAN" PLEASE HELP!! VERY FRUSTRIATING!!

:cries:

Bank running lean would be an O2 sensor.

The problem is with your Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (also called the Bank One Sensor). This particular sensor is located on the back side of your exhaust manifold, and you have to access it from underneath the vehicle.

You can order a new sensor through your local NAPA or AutoZone stores at prices considerably less than you'll have to pay your Lexus parts department. If I remember correctly, this particular sensor sells for about $200 at NAPA, and it may be a bit less expensive at AutoZone. Good luck.

The problem is with your Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (also called the Bank One Sensor).  This particular sensor is located on the back side of your exhaust manifold, and you have to access it from underneath the vehicle. 

You can order a new sensor through your local NAPA or AutoZone stores at prices considerably less than you'll have to pay your Lexus parts department.  If I remember correctly, this particular sensor sells for about $200 at NAPA, and it may be a bit less expensive at AutoZone.    Good luck.

Your 02 sensors and all related emission equipment is covered for 50,000! Im guessing you have less that that maybe? Anyway the dealer may still cover the sensor---dont hurt to ask

Good point. I convinced our local dealer to replace my wife's RX Bank One sensor this past summer when it failed at around 68,000 miles. All it cost us was a phone call to make the request and a day in the shop (they provided a loaner to my wife so it was really no hassle at all). So make that call and see if your local dealer will cooperate with you. Good luck.

Good point.  I convinced our local dealer to replace my wife's RX Bank One sensor this past summer when it failed at around 68,000 miles.  All it cost us was a phone call to make the request and a day in the shop (they provided a loaner to my wife so it was really no hassle at all).  So make that call and see if your local dealer will cooperate with you.  Good luck.

Thank you for the help, but what did you say to the Lexus dealer for them to replace it for free?? The one I have delt with wasnt willing to help very much at all.

thanks for the help.

To make a long story short, my wife's 2000 RX300 has been a lemon requiring transmission replacement, exhaust manifold replacement, and mass air flow sensor replacement all while the vehicle was still under warranty. Within the last three months we've also had to have the bank one sensor and rear oil seal replaced, both post-warranty. We've paid for none of this, primarily because of my research and documentation on these common problems that show up in the RX series. My local Lexus general manager and service manager are all too familiar with our extreme disappointment in this vehicle's inability to hold up over time, and they have been gracious enough to use what is known as the "goodwill warranty gesture" for the failures that have taken place after our warranty expired. These folks didn't just hand it to me, however - I had to ask for it. I've found that when you do your homework and document your problems as well as identical problems that other RX owners have suffered, your local Lexus management is much more sympathetic towards rectifying your particular situation. That's what I do, and I steadfastly refuse to accept no for an answer. During the past year my wife's RX has spent more than two weeks in the shop and had more than $8,000 worth of failure repairs done to it by our Lexus service department, and I've yet to pay them a dime. But there are probably only a handful of owners out there who are as focused, documented, and determined as I am, and Lexus realizes that very well....

The problem is with your Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor (also called the Bank One Sensor).  This particular sensor is located on the back side of your exhaust manifold, and you have to access it from underneath the vehicle. 

You can order a new sensor through your local NAPA or AutoZone stores at prices considerably less than you'll have to pay your Lexus parts department.  If I remember correctly, this particular sensor sells for about $200 at NAPA, and it may be a bit less expensive at AutoZone.    Good luck.

For what it's worth, I've checked the price of the Air/Fuel Sensor (Lexus Part Number 89467-48011) and the best price I've found is $253.64 at frautoparts.com (AutoZone's price is $433.99)

I bought a trouble code reader called Dyno-Scan (by Auterra) that allows me to read the Diagnostic Trouple Codes (DTC) with my Palm PDA. For several months, my RX300 has been runing just as well as usual, despite the fact that the check engine light comes on within minutes of my reseting it to off. Does anyone know if anything adverse will happen if I just continue to defer the replacement of the Air/Fuel Sensor until there's a noticable performance or fuel economy problem?

Since this car is in California, check if it is covered under the state emission warranty, which is longer than the Lexus's own warranty. Ask for the list.

I am just not sure if the parts we are discussing here are original equipments or emission related equipments. That is something I would ask the dealer for the definition in order to define which one is under warranty.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for all the input, I looked at my warranty info and found that my "Bank One Sensor" is covered for 8years/ 80,000 miles. So I have no problem getting the sensor replaced, but is there a way af getting around the 90.00$ fee for hooking is up to their diagnostic computer? :cheers:

It should be covered since they have to diagnoise it, they are nto supposed to charge you for warr work.Ask them in person to explain this one to you again. If it is some stupid answer call head office from the managers phone and ask him to explain it to both of you.

I bought a trouble code reader called Dyno-Scan (by Auterra) that allows me to read the Diagnostic Trouple Codes (DTC) with my Palm PDA. For several months, my RX300 has been runing just as well as usual, despite the fact that the check engine light comes on within minutes of my reseting it to off. Does anyone know if anything adverse will happen if I just continue to defer the replacement of the Air/Fuel Sensor until there's a noticable performance or fuel economy problem?

What magic words did you have to say to your dealer.. I just returned form the dealer and was told the O2 sensor was bad and was quoted $400+ to fix... They did replace the exhaust manifold 2 months ago and that was covered... but.. apparently, this isn't... any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

California has the toughest emissions control laws in the country, which may explain this oxygen sensor being covered to 80,000 miles there. Other states often require that manufactureres cover these sensors up to 70,000 miles. But you must insist to your Lexus service folks that your oxygen sensors are part of your emissions control system. Study your manuals thoroughly and be prepared to stand your ground.

I found the warranty on pg. 23 of my owners manual supplement, there are quite a few items covered including: throttle body, fuel pump,ECM, intake manifold, catalytic converter, ect. For what is worth my MPG has droped from 19.5 to 18.5 with the check light on. :cheers:

RX in NC has researched and knows what you are going thru I found this part on ebay cheaper email this guy with your part # and request.  PNuclo@aol.com  this is a good contact.

Geno, thanks for the info...who much did you spend for it and did you install it yourself, or have a mechanic install it?

For what it's worth, I've checked the price of the Air/Fuel Sensor (Lexus Part Number 89467-48011) and the best price I've found is $253.64 at frautoparts.com (AutoZone's price is $433.99)

Update:I've found the Air/Fuel Sensor at http://autopartspeople.com for $177.55. The cost of Shipping and handling is $17.76. They seem to offer the lowest prices I have found on the web. Can anybody confirm that I probably just need one to remedy the Bank One Sensor code? Also, I'd still like to know if anybody has insight on what would happen if I continued to drive the vehicle without replacing this sensor (It's been 3-4 months now and the only difference I can see is that the check engine light keeps coming on - other than that, it drives just the same as always). Thanks!

Just got back from Lexus, they hooked it up to the computer and said again that it was NOT the O2 sensor, but in fact the MAF was bad. I took it out to look at it again and to my surprise it was quite dirty, but not where I had cleaned it before. The two small filaments were filthy, the first time I actually saw those. So those hand held diagnostic tools are maybe to generic to tell the root of the problem.

well at least I had the chance to drive a RX330, very nice!

:blushing:

RX in NC has researched and knows what you are going thru I found this part on ebay cheaper email this guy with your part # and request.  PNuclo@aol.com  this is a good contact.

Geno, thanks for the info...who much did you spend for it and did you install it yourself, or have a mechanic install it?

I had a mechanic do it only because it was due an oil change. You can do it if you desire. but most general mechanics can do it in no time with little charge if you are having other services done.