When to check fluids?

Michael D 75

Hello all, I can't seem to get a good reading. My question is,  when should I check my oil and transmission fluids, when it's hot or cold? I have done both and on different days and have gotten different readings,  which one do I go by? Any and all help is appreciated thx

Some dipsticks tend to have (or used to have) "check when cold" or even different gradients on both sides depending on whether you are checking when hot or cold

Rule of thumb should be as long as it is near to within the min/max range in both hot and cold and if nearer maximum then better than the other way

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies, i appreciate it. Im glad i found and joined, because i have read more about my rx300 and feel more informed then any other vehicle ive owned. It says I'm way over when it's warm/hot and when it's cold it say hot. So I'm assuming that there is to much fluid and I need to remove some? Would I just unscrew the drain plug alittle so I get a dribble and check it every so often so I don't remove to much? I read when doing this I might need to replace the drain plug do to it being smashed?  I might as well do a transmission oil change, is it possible to change the fluids to much? Is amazon a good place to get my products from? Thanks again for the replies/help.

• Like 1

I follow my owner's manual when it comes to transmission fluid level checking. For engine oil level checking, I check it when the engine is cold or 5 minutes after shutting it off.

Who changed your oil, last? "Way over" could be a problem. I'm assuming you have a way to raise your vehicle so that it remains level?  It will need to be if you are going to go back and forth between draining some oil and rechecking the dipstick. Many vehicles have "crush washers" that need to be replaced whenever you loosen or remove the plug. You can pick one up at the dealership if you don't know the size and material. You may want to pick up a plug as well so you can have it and the washer ready when you remove the existing pair. It still may be messy, but do not initially tighten the plug between level checks. Tighten it only after the level is correct.

• Thanks 1

I changed my oil but haven't changed the transmission oil yet. Haven't had any issues with it till recently. I have owned it for a few months now and it just started to act up by not wanting to shift into fourth gear. So it's been parked for the past week. i have just started reading so much on this vehicle that I'm excited then worried then relieved as I continue to learn more and more. I never had any issue so I would chalk it up to I must not know how to read the dip stick or did I understand it. I am so glad I found this group, the fact that I get replys with their past experiences or some what of a direction that helps. I'm waiting on a mass air flow sensor and new coils already did the plugs. Then with I forgot how many videos I must have watched, but I swear it took me longer to change out 2 of the back plugs then it's takin me on any other vehicle to do plugs, oil and filter for both engine and transmission. They make it so that you have to take your vehicle in to a dealer. 

• Like 2