New Head Unit

I'm confused. I am thinking of getting a new head unit for my '98 ES.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?inv...64&catky=207135

to be exact. if i just replace my head unit, will my stereo sound worse because of an inadequate amp? anyone know what the power specs are that narrows down what head units i can pick? i just want an mp3 player in my car really. right now i have my portable cd/mp3 player plugged into my cassette player via adapter. the wires going along the shift looks retarded to me right now, they run into my center console, hehe.

any help would be great including opinions on sony head units. my friends have an eclipse or pioneer head unit. but i like how that sony hu looks.

I have the Sony MP70 in my 97 ES300 - looks & sounds great, better than the stock headunit. It also plays mp3 cds - a big plus for me. There aren't any mounting plate kits available for the 97+ ES300 (trust me, ive been looking for years, but correct me if I'm wrong). I suggest getting one made - I had a custom plate made for mine and had it wrapped in matching tan vinyl - people have had nothing but good things to say about it - just looks great. But anyway, go with the sony headunit with a custom mount - its your best bet. Oh yea - when you install it, you're gonna have to bypass the amp (it's a big !Removed! to do so); the amp is located behind the glove box - so you're gonna have to take that off too...have fun!

post-7-1054684478.jpg

most car stereo shops dont even want to come near a 97-up ES300 because it's a !Removed! install a head unit. to this day, there is no kit available. don't be surprised if the first shop you go to does a crappy job as what happened to me. i could have gotten the custom plate done at another shop that would look just like hoebag's with the unit sinking in but i wasnt prepared to shell out $150 for some plate. just stop by home depot and buy 1/2in or less thick mdf board, a jigsaw, some glue, and vinyl from a fabric store. materials will cost you $40. the mount came with plastic frame.

sony xplod mp70

-JR

My friend is a car audio installer, he did everything for me for $400 (he provided the radio)...I was VERY happy with the results. But if you don't do it yourself, a shop will charge you an arm and a leg for a custom plate - & mine did sink in, I've fixed that since the pics were taken.

does not matter what deck you get it will over power the speakers and pop them if played loudly alot

as there was also a volume reducer cuicit in the stock deck like most oem's to reduce high and low frequencies to save speakers

the new deck will not have it

best bet is to change all the speakers and get an amp in the trunk and run new wires to the trunk from each speaker

jeez.. sounds like a lot of work for an mp3 player... and a lot of money...

i guess i'll just keep the stock stereo with my mp3 player plugged into the cassette deck until i win the lottery or something..hehe... thanks guys.

I think you made a wise decision because personally I haven't seen one aftermarket installation that looks as good as the factory unit! I'm not talking about the quality of sound though. :)

Alan

I guess i am one of the lucky ones to get a face plate

my suggestion is that if your changing the headunit then you might as well change the whole lot.

here is my face plate

headunit.jpg

HEy HoeBag,

Where is the AMP on our 97's?????? people say under the passanger seat, but i look under it and NADA-NOthing- just the electronics for moving the seat up and down etc... Or is it under the Back seat???

~ProZac~

well there are a lot of dash kits... i know...

but not many of them have the smooth feeling like some kits. most kits like metra kits have this weird texture to them that completely doesn't match the stock look. it's all bumpy.

i've been looking for one that matches the smooth plastic feel and look like stock.

• 8 years later...

I guess i am one of the lucky ones to get a face plate

my suggestion is that if your changing the headunit then you might as well change the whole lot.

here is my face plate

headunit.jpg

How in the world did you get that to fit so perfectly? mine is alllll screwed up. its like there is nooo room in there to fit all the wiring and the back of the head unit so the faceplate sticks out

0116121640a