Digital Key & No Second key fob

DWD

August 2023 to possession of brand new Lexus RX350 with executive package. After signing the deal, told no second key fob for a period of time maybe up to 3-4 months. Digital Key was available but was unreliable (sales person) stop gap measure. Went ahead with Digital Key set up & yes sales person was very accurate in description of Digital Key; that system is so unreliable, to be completely useless & non useable. Extremely disappointed that Lexus would market such a useless feature on supposedly a quality luxury vehicle. The 2023 I am told is completely new make over for this model, I am finding this vehicle features very sporadic malfunctions, one day this or that feature works but occasionally a feature malfunctions. This is not quality car, that is expected from Lexus brand. This is my third Lexus, previous 2 cars, everything functioned as expected, this car not so. Bottom line disappointed !!

20 hours ago, DWD said:

August 2023 to possession of brand new Lexus RX350 with executive package. After signing the deal, told no second key fob for a period of time maybe up to 3-4 months. Digital Key was available but was unreliable (sales person) stop gap measure. Went ahead with Digital Key set up & yes sales person was very accurate in description of Digital Key; that system is so unreliable, to be completely useless & non useable. Extremely disappointed that Lexus would market such a useless feature on supposedly a quality luxury vehicle. The 2023 I am told is completely new make over for this model, I am finding this vehicle features very sporadic malfunctions, one day this or that feature works but occasionally a feature malfunctions. This is not quality car, that is expected from Lexus brand. This is my third Lexus, previous 2 cars, everything functioned as expected, this car not so. Bottom line disappointed !!

I believe that Toyota will concentrate on having one brand name as preferred for obvious reasons. Luxury cars are in a niche market and clients are not as much as in old days staying with same brand.

Another thing is that whenever a brand-new model or a model that has been very much changed so it no longer is a facelift is introduced, first model issues are rather normal and will be ironed out with first or next facelift. The CT 2010 - 2011 were no way perfect, but after 2 facelifts they now seems bullet-proofed. We had a Supra 3L Targa with new engine and a lot of other things and it was a disaster. Take off the top (roof) and it could not keep driving a straight line and whenever speed was above 150 km/h (not that fast for this kind of car) yellow engine light told us to go to nearest Toyota. Unfortunately, the car was so new that Toyota had not yet manuals for the model in the 3 Toyota garages we visited (one in Spain, one in Germany and one in Denmark) and could not help with the engine problem. If / when Toyota had the engine problem solved. I do not know as we went back to Nissan ZX that were 10 times better. Have had both a 280 ZX and a 300 ZX.

The CT 2017 is doing just what it should and only need normal service to be driving just like when new. First facelift and second facelift have made the car reliable.

6 hours ago, Done with Lexus said:

We purchased a new 2023 NX350 in February, 2023 seven months ago and Lexus still has not delivered the second key. Our third and FINAL Lexus.

Same here with my RX350h purchased in March 2023.  Insult to injury, the paid for optional Digital Key is so unreliable as to be useless.  Purchased and added a "Tile" tracker to my only key fob as I can't afford to misplace this one!  No communication at all from Lexus as to any potential ETA for a second key.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2023 at 1:50 PM, winpakbob said:

Same here with my RX350h purchased in March 2023.  Insult to injury, the paid for optional Digital Key is so unreliable as to be useless.  Purchased and added a "Tile" tracker to my only key fob as I can't afford to misplace this one!  No communication at all from Lexus as to any potential ETA for a second key.

Same here.....it is so frustrating that they will not provide the second key fob, but they will sell them and charge for programming!

On 9/20/2023 at 7:44 AM, Done with Lexus said:

We purchased a new 2023 NX350 in February, 2023 seven months ago and Lexus still has not delivered the second key. Our third and FINAL Lexus.

My first and final Lexus..... purchased in April and still no 2nd key fob. The software app is a poor excuse for convenience. It runs super slow!

• 2 months later...

I purchased my RX350 in June 2023 and took delivery four weeks later.  After paperwork was final, I learned there was only one key fob and the second would be delivered by Lexus after two months.  I am a very patient person, so I complied and waited.  We called the dealer in October and was told the key fob would come from Lexus; it was out of their hands.  We received a letter from Lexus in later in October saying the dealer would have the second key fob in November. It is now December and was time for my first oil change service, so I called the dealer, made an appointment for the oil change and explained the letter received from Lexus saying my second key was ready to be picked up.  The dealer said they did not have the second key and needed to order it; it would take about 4 to 5 days.  I made the appointment one week out thinking that is enough time for them to get the key. I took my car to the dealer today to have the maintenance done.  Afterwards, the service technician said the second key had not been delivered. He checked on the delivery date saying it would be two more weeks, and that they would call me when it comes in. If it is not here by end of January, I will outright purchase a second key fob and write a scathing review of Lexus and the dealer by name.  We have been told multiple contradicting stories between Lexus and the dealer.  You know… when you tell lies, it is hard to keep the story the same from one telling to the next.  I have not heard the same story yet.

Lexus, you have two more weeks to do the right thing.

• 1 month later...

I am now at 7 months Lexus has promised the key multiple times and like everyone else have seen nothing not even any Communications. When I bought the car I was told it would be about 1 month then 2 months now they don't even talk about it

Edited by TedO
misspelled

19 hours ago, TedO said:

I am now at 7 months Lexus has promised the key multiple times and like everyone else have seen nothing not even any Communications. When I bought the car I was told it would be about 1 month then 2 months now they don't even talk about it

Too bad Lexus cannot find out how to keep customers happy. And such a tiny thing as a remote.

There are reasons to drive Lexus and reasons for staying with the company for next car as there are reasons against the same.

The way service in the US is described here in the forum is mostly against the company.

Where I live (Spain) driving a hybrid car is for some reasons very positive, no road tax for cars registered before 2017 is saving 2 – 5 hundred Euros yearly, and the extended warranty for hybrid batteries, if having the car serviced with Lexus sounds great even if servicing with Lexus cost more than going to independent workshops, but that way oil and filters are kept original and that is positive. Reading what is written a bit more hidden makes is a good part less positive as only the battery is warranted and all the other components when changing it are not; and when is a hybrid battery no longer up to standard? When no longer helping keep fuel consume down, or when only having more weight in the car (battery and components to it are extra weight) which cause consumption of more fuel?

Do not remember how much fuel our little CT was using when bought it, but now instead of the 3.8L/100km promised from factory, we use more than 6.5L/100km, and Lexus with yearly battery check inform that battery is in excellent condition.

One good reason not to sue Lexus is that they have lawyers already working for them and if we buyers of the cars should get same quality lawyers it could be so expensive that Lexus know it is not going to happen.

And where we read Lexus – the company read Toyota with unlimited funds to win whatever is being thrown at them.

The CT is a fine little car, comfortable and is now after 7 years and 3 months still driving well with no other expenses as regular service, but the fuel consumption seems to grow and is now above fuel consumption of the VW Golf DSG we had before where the Golf had considerably more power but nowhere as good sounding audio as the ML in the CT.

Our car has more than 7 years to go with hybrid battery warranty and as long as nothing goes wrong we have no reason to change car and the stupid governments, in the so called civilized parts of the globe, want us to get battery driven cars that we charge with fossil fuel-generated-electricity is so stupid that only politicians are stupid enough to try to convince voters this is the way to save the planet, when it is not.

Here we have huge solar cell areas making electricity and while that does not pollute, the cells are being changed to new cell types that generate more electricity on same area, before the old have even generated as much power as was used making the cells.

That is how we save the planet.

The old politicians should all be thrown out and punished for misleading voters. And where you are 2 old fools are what you have the choice to elect next time. Here we have younger politicians, but unfortunately they seems to listen to the old, so not much better here.

image.thumb.png.d267ceaa1e719fbda2f377ca55594c5d.png

• 3 months later...

Since Lexus has made it's customer service form so cumbersome, I have reported the key fob issue to NHTSA.

On the Lexus app, the 2nd Key Program Campaign is not even listed (23LJ01). The dealership cannot provide a clear answer on  when this will be fixed.

For my wife and me, both 70 years young (I am a disabled Army veteran), this is a potential safety and security concern.

• Like 1