Foul Smell

RobsES330

I bet this topic was covered, but has anyone have a rotten egg smell coming from the exhust?? I think its coming from exhust. Also is it a good idea to let the engine run for a few minutes after a cold start. I notice the rpm is about 2000-2500 when i start the car. After a few minutes the rpm gets lower.

Hey Robs... i'm from Queens too!! :lol: But not there right now... i'm @ school.:cries: I'm from the Flushing area... kinda @ the border line between Flushing n Bayside.

Ok... well its always a good idea to warm up ur car whether if it is a Kia or a Lexus. When it's cold... most cars as u know are going to b a bit sluggish. The oil takes longer to circulate and the engine takes longer to reach operating temperatures. If ur not careful, some parts in the engine can be left unprotected. If u need to get an oil change soon... i forgot if its a lighter oil in the winter or thicker. U might want to ask a mechanic. I think its lighter oil for the winter.

As for that rotten egg smell... its Sulfur. I believe it's a signal that your catalytic converter or emission control system may have a problem. Not 100% sure cause i'm not a mechanic. Hopefully this might help for now. I'm sure the others can give u a more exact idea n better details than me. Take care. :D

O ur car is new. U might b able to bring it to Manhattan Lexus or the one in Long Island since it may be under warranty to have them check it out. Call and let them know that u smell this n find out if they will charge u for a check. I usually bring it to a Toyota to have it checked since Lex is expensive.

there is a TSB on almost every Toyota/Lexus model about exhaust odor. It is also a factor of the amount of sulfur that is in the gas you buy.

before condeming the car as malfunctioning, try several tanks of different brands of gas to see if the smell goes away.

Also, if you used the SEARCH function, you would easily find all the posts about the foul exhaust smells and the solutions each member has found. All the threads that I can remember had similar resolves........different brands of gas.

5w-30 oil will be sufficient for winter use. I live just outside of Boston, MA and the last few winters have had some prolonged stretches of some severely cold weather (3 weeks straight of less than 10°F). I use synthetic oil specifically for that reason. Synthetic oil will flow much easier than conventional oil at those prolonged frigid temperatures.

steviej

thanks guys. i stand corrected about rpm at start. i stated it was 2000-2500 rpms. it is actually 1500 rpms. the car is a 2005 so i think steviej is correct. i will try a different brand of gas. once again thanks guys.

The sulfer smell has been a problem on all Lexus' since they went to ULEV status. I've found that low sulfer gas like BP and Shell keep the smell from happening while Exxon seems to be the worst.

i didn't know the gas companies can attribute to the Sulfur smell. I guess i learn something everyday. Is it due to the amount of additives each company puts in the gas?

So Mobil should also contribute to some of the Sulfur smell too rite? Cause Exxon n mobil r the same company. Do u know anything about Stewarts? We have tons of them here... n they seem cheaper in gas than Mobil, Sunoco, and Exxon

Since using 87 octane fuel from any manufactuerr, my exhaust smells like roses. Do you think that I could change that to the aroma of lilacs.  :D

a catalytic converter malfunction will yeild that smell, but not usually unless the car has been reved above 5K in the last minute. ill bet its just your gas.

In the new Lexuses the smell isn't caused by the catalytic converter.

B) im sure they dont, especially not cause they are new...or at least...they shouldnt. but every car manufacturer canm make mistakes, even toyota. so please allow me to rephrase the statement i made above... :wacko:

if the catalyitic converter is clogged... ANY car will make that smell. the lexus's are no different, except for the fact that the cats dont go bad that often.

sorry for the confusion. :D

This is kinda funny. I had been running Chevron and then Raceway gas for abour a year in my 02 IS300 and never had that smell. Then I switched to Shell and still didn't have it. Last couple of tank fulls though on Shell I DO have the smell after pulling into the garage. Maybe this sulfur content thing isn't consistent within the same brands, or maybe there was a change in the gas for seasonal reasons. Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I get parked and out of the garage quickly. :)

This is kinda funny.  I had been running Chevron and then Raceway gas for abour a year in my 02 IS300 and never had that smell.  Then I switched to Shell and still didn't have it.  Last couple of tank fulls though on Shell I DO have the smell after pulling into the garage.  Maybe this sulfur content thing isn't consistent within the same brands, or maybe there was a change in the gas for seasonal reasons.  Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I get parked and out of the garage quickly.    :)

I also believe that the smell is caused by the fuel. The sulfur content seems to change even though you get it from the same supplier. I get the smell occasionally, but I learned to live with it. Also, I never had this odor problems years ago, before they used catalytic convertors.

This is kinda funny.  I had been running Chevron and then Raceway gas for abour a year in my 02 IS300 and never had that smell.  Then I switched to Shell and still didn't have it.  Last couple of tank fulls though on Shell I DO have the smell after pulling into the garage.  Maybe this sulfur content thing isn't consistent within the same brands, or maybe there was a change in the gas for seasonal reasons.  Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I get parked and out of the garage quickly.    :)

I also believe that the smell is caused by the fuel. The sulfur content seems to change even though you get it from the same supplier. I get the smell occasionally, but I learned to live with it. Also, I never had this odor problems years ago, before they used catalytic convertors.

Back when we had 400 plus cubic inch engines and high compression and leaded gas, and carbs that you could adjust, and distributors you could play with and all those thiings you could easiily do to make a car run really good. Those were the days. :cheers:

Yeah thats a big problem, the quality isn't consistent in the brands like you and Alan were talking about. Even if you always fill up at the same station you may get a smell sometimes and sometimes not. Shell on the whole always works pretty good, but its not as consistent as BP. I usually use Shell out of convenience.

I've also found its worse in the winter.

This is kinda funny.   I had been running Chevron and then Raceway gas for abour a year in my 02 IS300 and never had that smell.  Then I switched to Shell and still didn't have it.  Last couple of tank fulls though on Shell I DO have the smell after pulling into the garage.  Maybe this sulfur content thing isn't consistent within the same brands, or maybe there was a change in the gas for seasonal reasons.  Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I get parked and out of the garage quickly.    :)

Back when we had 400 plus cubic inch engines and high compression and leaded gas, and carbs that you could adjust, and distributors you could play with and all those thiings you could easiily do to make a car run really good. Those were the days.:cheers:

yeah, but those old muscle cars didnt usually use leaded gas, my dads charger has "Unleaded Fuel Only" written right on the gauge, in the owners manual (he still has it) and inside the fuel filler door. so lead wasnt really a factor, even in 1968. (The car is a 1968 Charger R/T.)

Back when we had 400 plus cubic inch engines and high compression and leaded gas, and carbs that you could adjust, and distributors you could play with and all those thiings you could easiily do to make a car run really good. Those were the days.:cheers:

yeah, but those old muscle cars didnt usually use leaded gas, my dads charger has "Unleaded Fuel Only" written right on the gauge, in the owners manual (he still has it) and inside the fuel filler door. so lead wasnt really a factor, even in 1968. (The car is a 1968 Charger R/T.)

Oh well, I'm going back further than that, but leaded gas was still available, at least where I lived into the early 70's. The big inch cars I had experience with were mid 60's cars, such as 429 and 406 Fords, big Chrysler and Chevy engines, as well.

BTW: The first unleaded cars hat had EGR and stuff for lower pollution ran like crap and got very poor gas mileage. This was before catalytic converters came along. I had a 72 Maverick 302 that ran like a bat out of hell at WOT, but ran poorly otherwise, and only got 16 MPG. You couldn't legally adjust the carbs or remove the pollution control stuff either. Those pre-converter unleaded gas cars would also knock and ping on hills and in heavy traffic. During a 2 or 3 year period there, cars just would not run like the cars from the unleaded gas days.

This is kinda funny.   I had been running Chevron and then Raceway gas for abour a year in my 02 IS300 and never had that smell.  Then I switched to Shell and still didn't have it.  Last couple of tank fulls though on Shell I DO have the smell after pulling into the garage.  Maybe this sulfur content thing isn't consistent within the same brands, or maybe there was a change in the gas for seasonal reasons.  Anyway, it doesn't bother me that much, as long as I get parked and out of the garage quickly.    :)

Oh well, I'm going back further than that, but leaded gas was still available, at least where I lived into the early 70's. The big inch cars I had experience with were mid 60's cars, such as 429 and 406 Fords, big Chrysler and Chevy engines, as well.

BTW: The first unleaded cars hat had EGR and stuff for lower pollution ran like crap and got very poor gas mileage. This was before catalytic converters came along. I had a 72 Maverick 302 that ran like a bat out of hell at WOT, but ran poorly otherwise, and only got 16 MPG. You couldn't legally adjust the carbs or remove the pollution control stuff either. Those pre-converter unleaded gas cars would also knock and ping on hills and in heavy traffic. During a 2 or 3 year period there, cars just would not run like the cars from the unleaded gas days.

ahh those were the days. i dunno man that #'s matching 440 can haul some !Removed!, but the other 44o we have is even better :). the "other" 440 has 426 HEMI heads set on it...among many other thinsg (including a custom S/C). but you are thinking of the 429 fords of old, the mid 50's right?

ahh those were the days. i dunno man that #'s matching 440 can haul some !Removed!, but the other 44o we have is even better :). the "other" 440 has 426 HEMI heads set on it...among many other thinsg (including a custom S/C). but you are thinking of the 429 fords of old, the mid 50's right?

Cars that ran relly good stock from the factory in the late 50's early 60's during the factory horespower race days. 57 Chevy's with close ratio 4 speed dominated until the Mopar typewriter shift automatic hemis's came along. I drove a '59 Mercury with a 429 that was really fast considering it's weight. These cars ran great, right from the factory, with few tweeks, no idle problems and were real streetable as well !Removed! just plain fast.

Later on came the GTO's, Road Runners, Chargers, etc, etc.

I bet this topic was covered, but has anyone have a rotten egg smell coming from the exhust?? I think its coming from exhust. Also is it a good idea to let the engine run for a few minutes after a cold start. I notice the rpm is about 2000-2500 when i start the car. After a few minutes the rpm gets lower.

i have a foul smell too, but its my rear :censored: gasket im in the process of replacing.