Gs300 Vs. Bmw 530i (or Neither In Snow)

Hello -

looking into options for replacing my wife's faithful, but aging, '92 ES300. Considering a '99-'01 GS300 or BMW 530i. From what I have read, the GS wins on reliability, and the BMW gremlin list is a bit scary...but I am really wondering if either of these RWD cars are a good choice for Minnesota winters, even with snow tires. any input appreciated

- thanks

Hello -

looking into options for replacing my wife's faithful, but aging, '92 ES300.  Considering a  '99-'01 GS300 or BMW 530i.  From what I have read, the GS wins on reliability, and the BMW gremlin list is a bit scary...but I am really wondering if either of these RWD cars are a good choice for Minnesota winters, even with snow tires.  any input appreciated

- thanks

If you're looking for a winter car, I wouldn't buy either one of those. When I first got my GS in March, I drove it around and it's not worth the risk of getting into an accident. You won't be able to go up any hills. But the gs would be a better choice between the two cause it's a Lexus. Not sure about the 530i,but my brother in law has a M3 and he will never drive it during winter.

I wouldn;t drive an M3 in snow either ,it is a semi collector car as well as light and powerful which makes no sense for an M3.

A 5 series is good as is a GS but you need to try their traction control yourself in wet weather to decide.

Personally neither are made for it.

Get a 325ix if you want a bmw and winter.

or an ES which is front wheel drive. and still reliable.

Having had a '93 325i no traction control, a '98 325i traction control, and a '98 GS300, I can safely say that no german RWD car was engineered for driving in the winter sans a rear engine Porsche perhaps. The Lexus on the other hand isn't too hot either, but it will go a little. If only ANY of these cars had a limited slip differential, I feel that the snow performance would be greatly enhanced. With the Lexus, the traction control actually impeedes moving on the slippery white stuff.

Lexus for example: You pull out, left rear wheel slips. VSC applies brake to left rear wheel, power transfers to right rear wheel. Right wheel slips, VSC applies brake to right rear wheel. You stop moving.

If the system had a limited slip differential, you could disable the VSC and both rear wheels would turn. You would most likely move in one direction or another. Alternatively, if the VSC system were to be reprogrammed to allow a bit of slip of both wheels but keep them turning, that would work just about as well. If I had the facilities at my disposal, I'd love to experiment with this.

I think that the Lexus's trac. control is being underestimated.I have a 98 gs4 and do not drive in the snow any longer but when I first got it I did and it worked well.I live in northern Indiana and we have some pretty bad snow sometimes and my Gs never let me down.I think the Lexus has a superior trac control to a BMW or Benz.With my snow tires and trac. cont. Ive never had any probs with mine regardless of the weather.(snow or ice)You may have to slow down a little in this kind of weather but who doesnt?I had an incident where I had to drive my gs4 off into a cornfield to avoid an accident and there was prob.4-6 inches of snow in the field I flipped the switch to snow and drove her right out.Of course the Lexus is not the ideal vehicle for snow but I dont think it is getting the credit it deserves and if someone truely likes the car I think the trac. control system would make them like it even more.Good Luck with your purchase.

Thats the snow tires more than its the VSC. I agree that the VSC wasn't designed with snow driving in mind.

If you do get the GS or the 5 DEFINATELY put snow tires on it.

Well, if Hakkapeliittas or Blizzaks are not "good enough," I can't imagine what winter tire would be.

Of course the tires you choose will make a huge impact on winter driving but when I look at me center console there is a button that says snow and when you push it it really works.So maybe the VSC alone may not do it I do belive they had winter driving in mind when they designed this option.

Which combined with the trac control makes a petty good system.I live in the midwest and drive a Gs4 although I no longer drive it in the winter I used to and it was amazing I never had a prob.It handled better than most front wheel drives w/o trac. cont.I drove mine in the winter for 3 yrs. and never had an accident or got stuck.

Are you sure this is all the snow mode does?Because when im driving down the road and maintaining a speed and push the button I lose alot of power and if say im running 60 in snow mode and push the gas it has alot less power than usual so surely it does more than just start in second.Does anybody know more about this system?

Are you sure this is all the snow mode does?Because when im driving down the road and maintaining a speed and push the button I lose alot of power and if say im running 60 in snow mode and push the gas it has alot less power than usual so surely it does more than just start in second.Does anybody know more about this system?

The "Snow Mode" has two functions, both related to the transmission. First, as mentioned, the car will pull out in 2nd. gear. Additionally, throttle control will be less abrupt, also noted as you have to put the pedal down furthur. Presumably, this is to decrease the chance of spinning when you hit the pedal.

Guy I agree totally.SKperformance it absolutely changes the throttle response I dont know about all make but my Gs4 it does.If im runnin down the road in fifth w/the snow mode on and stomp it it has half the power it usually would and thats in 5th or 4th or any gear for that matter.

If you go along at any speed, say 40mph, very slightly accelerating in snow mode and you put it back in normal you can feel it start to accelerate more without changing down a gear. If you connect up an OBD-II device you can also see the throttle angle open up more.

Throttle response is much less in snow mode. I often use it in very heavy stop start traffic makes it much smoother.

If you go along at any speed, say 40mph, very slightly accelerating in snow mode and you put it back in normal you can feel it start to accelerate more without changing down a gear. If you connect up an OBD-II device you can also see the throttle angle open up more.

Throttle response is much less in snow mode. I often use it in very heavy stop start traffic makes it much smoother.

Nice work. I was going to make that point as well. How did we all get here from the original topic of this thread? :D

Hey - thanks for the insight on GS300/400 winter driving experiences. We'll be checking out a GS and a 528i in the next week, it sounds like rwd can work with traction control and some decent snow tires. Most of our driving is in the city, and with decent plowing there have been only a half dozen or so really bad snow driving days in recent years - so the rwd may be no big deal....