Already Having Problems With My Lexus.

kmb4701

Hello All,

I bought a 96 ES300 in early Sept. I got my oil changed and the next day I noticed an oil leak. I took it back to the place where I had it changed and they told me that they had taken care of it. Well the car still leaked and even worse now. So I took it to a good mechanic who told me that it was my valve cover gaskets.

He said that it would be best to fix the ones in front and remove the manifold to get the ones in the rear.I was burning oil and could see it while sitting at stoplights. He quoted me a price of $287.00 . I took it back to the dealer since I had the car for such a short period of time. He apologized for the problem and had his mechanic fix the problem. He charged me $125.00 I think I made out OK. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

She isn't leaking anymore!

photo-12293.jpg

Thanx

K. Brown

Hello All,

I bought a 96 ES300 in early Sept. I got my oil changed and the next day I noticed an oil leak. I took it back to the place where I had it changed and they told me that they had taken care of it. Well the car still leaked and even worse now. So I took it to a good mechanic who told me that it  was my valve cover gaskets.

He said that it would be best to fix the ones in front and remove the manifold to get the ones in the rear.I was burning oil and could see it while sitting at stoplights. He quoted me a price of $287.00 . I took it back to the dealer since I had the car for such a short period of time. He apologized for the problem and had his mechanic fix the problem. He charged me $125.00 I think I made out OK. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

She isn't leaking anymore!

photo-12293.jpg

Thanx

K. Brown

That is a very good price! ;)

Nice car btw. :)

you did the right thing going back to the dealer that sold you the car. And they did right by you by fixing it.

This is a common problem on early ES's. Take a few minutes and read the ES FAQ (frequently asked questions). You might want to have a qualified mechanic check the rear main seal, too. These tend to we leaky too.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to LOC.

steviej

THe lady that owned my es before me got it done and the price was about 800 dollars on the reciept. I did it myself on my dad's 95 ES. I wish I took pics. Lots of people have that problem on high mileage es's. If anyone wants to know, please let me know and I will try to have a write up.

Hi ALL, my first post/reply but I have been reading the forums all month for suggestions & enlightenment. Just last week I had my f&r valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, fuel filter and spark plugs changed all at one time (mainly bc of the leaking gaskets). Cost me $330 total at an outside mechanic shop. While driving home the check engine light came on. Took the car back to them and they say it has an EGR air flow sensor prroblem (didn't ask for the code).. $180 to fix it. I called Lexus dealership and they say I don't have that sensor in my 95 ES300. ??? Took the car to Autozone and they say it's the P0401 EGR Insufficient flow code. Autozone suggested I try cleaning the EGR valve first before installing a new one. My question is, could the mechanic shop who worked on my gaskets caused the EGR valve problem or is it a common problem after changing VC gaskets? Thanks for your replies.

post-13460-1099092535_thumb.jpg

Hi ALL, my first post/reply but I have been reading the forums all month for suggestions & enlightenment.  Just last week I had my f&r valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, fuel filter and spark plugs changed all at one time (mainly bc of the leaking gaskets).  Cost me $330 total at an outside mechanic shop.  While driving home the check engine light came on.  Took the car back to them and they say it has an EGR air flow sensor prroblem (didn't ask for the code).. $180 to fix it.  I called Lexus dealership and they say I don't have that sensor in my 95 ES300.  ???  Took the car to Autozone and they say it's the P0401 EGR Insufficient flow code.  Autozone suggested I try cleaning the EGR valve first before installing a new one.  My question is, could the mechanic shop who worked on my gaskets caused the EGR valve problem or is it a common problem after changing VC gaskets?  Thanks for your replies.

I don't know the answer to your question, but i am sure someone will chime in.

These guys are great here! ;)

I just wanted to say welcome and your car is very nice! :)

Hi ALL, my first post/reply but I have been reading the forums all month for suggestions & enlightenment.  Just last week I had my f&r valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, fuel filter and spark plugs changed all at one time (mainly bc of the leaking gaskets).  Cost me $330 total at an outside mechanic shop.  While driving home the check engine light came on.  Took the car back to them and they say it has an EGR air flow sensor prroblem (didn't ask for the code).. $180 to fix it.  I called Lexus dealership and they say I don't have that sensor in my 95 ES300.  ???  Took the car to Autozone and they say it's the P0401 EGR Insufficient flow code.  Autozone suggested I try cleaning the EGR valve first before installing a new one.  My question is, could the mechanic shop who worked on my gaskets caused the EGR valve problem or is it a common problem after changing VC gaskets?  Thanks for your replies.

I don't know the answer to your question, but i am sure someone will chime in.

These guys are great here! ;)

I just wanted to say welcome and your car is very nice! :)

it is a common problem...IF the vaccum or EGR lines are not reinstalled correctly.

Hi again, can someone post the probable causes for the CEL P0401 EGR insufficient flow code? I have been reading posts for more information and similar problems wrt the EGR. The service shop who changed my VC gaskets seems confident that it is an EGR "air flow" (maybe a temperature) sensor that needs to be replaced. Anyways the part is on order and they will install it for me for free. They pointed out to me where it is and it seems easy to change. This will be done early next week and hopefully it will solve the P0401 problem. If not, I'm taking my bussiness elsewhere (maybe Toyota dealership). But in the meantime I want to check other possible areas.

Also, I just noticed that the someone have duck taped the accordian-looking black air flow tube that comes from the MAF into the intake manifold. If this tube was leaking again or cracked at a different location, could this cause the P0401 code? Is duck-taping this tube a recommended fix? I have read in one of last years thread that this was suggested by one of the gurus here to remedy a P0402 EGR excessive air flow problem.

Thanks, Khiem

Hi again, can someone post the probable causes for the CEL P0401 EGR insufficient flow code?  I have been reading posts for more information and similar problems wrt the EGR.  The service shop who changed my VC gaskets seems confident that it is an EGR "air flow" (maybe a temperature) sensor that needs to be replaced.  Anyways the part is on order and they will install it for me for free.  They pointed out to me where it is and it seems easy to change.  This will be done early next week and hopefully it will solve the P0401 problem. If not, I'm taking my bussiness elsewhere (maybe Toyota dealership).  But in the meantime I want to check other possible areas. 

Also, I just noticed that the someone have duck taped the accordian-looking black air flow tube that comes from the MAF into the intake manifold.  If this tube was leaking again or cracked at a different location, could this cause the P0401 code?  Is duck-taping this tube a recommended fix?  I have read in one of last years thread that this was suggested by one of the gurus here to remedy a P0402 EGR excessive air flow problem.

Thanks, Khiem

duct tape is a good temporary fix, but not good for long, i would lay $$$$ on the fact that thats where your problem is.

yes the leaking air hose will effect MAF sensor readings and car performance.

Start cheap, replace the hose yourself and see if it goes away. I'll bet the cost of the hose it does. These tubes are a consistent problem on many engines. They become brittle and crack due to the heat in the engine compartment. The cracks and holes allow more air than the MAF senosr called for into the throttle body. This creates incorrect readings from other sensors cause they don't jive with what the MAF sensor said it allowed for air into the throttle body initially.

The car should/would also be running rough at idle with the cracks and holes....is yours?

steviej

Who duct taped the hose

the shop who did the repair on the VC?

Common problem ????? army, what are you talking about ?

If the egr was removed when the intake was it may be a bad gasket that is covering the return pipe this will cause an insufficent flow.

Your car defintaly does have an egr .

A good throttle body cleaning would help. but if it started right after the work it is more than likely a mechanic caused issue as the egr is in the way and has to be removed from the car or intake to replace the rear VC.

The cel came on while I was driving the car home after picking it up from service. I checked the various small hoses around the intake and ERG to see and hear if any of them have gotten loose or leaking air. But they all seem normal. The tube that I mentioned that was duct taped is the actual intake tube. The accordian-looking rubber part nearest the intake manifold was the part that someone has duct taped. I do not know who has taped this but just saying I just now noticed it while checking the engine. <_< Last night with the engine idling in park I tried twisting, squeezing, pulling, pushing etc the intake tube to see if there is any effect on the idle or hear any leaks but none noticed. The idle is running fine and smooth. The car is definitely running better after the service (new spark plugs, fuel filter,&pcv vlave) but just this cel is annoying.

SK is right.. they must remove the intake manifold to replace the rear VC gasket. The ERG is bolted onto the manifold. For my information, how much does a new factory intake tube cost? Obviously it is craked since it is taped up. I will let them install that new sensor to see if it solves the problem but will ask what credit I will get if it doesn't. It's an $80 little sensor which they're going to install for free.

I believe what Army implied as a "common problem" is that if the mechanic didn't reinstall my hoses correctly the cel will come on. That's definitely an obvious problem. :angry:

A motorvac system cleanup is on my things-to-do list, next to changing light bulbs on the AC control unit and changing motor mounts.

start cheap. replace the first hose since you that is broken/not 100% efficient. Then see if the CEL goes out. If not, then go with the sensor.

from posting on two sites and just from experience, I can say that the accordian like intake hose becoming brittle and cracked IS a common problem.

steviej