Turbo Charge With 140k Miles?

My SC300 has 140k. Originally I was planning on having www.powerhouseracing.com do the swap for me, but after reading a little into it, I think I would save some money and have more fun with it doing the na->t conversion myself. I am wondering though if it would be a bad idea to bother messing with an older engine even if it is in great shape.

the engine you have may be similar but not the same so many part should be upgraded to able to widthstand more power

an older engine will need a full rebuild before turboing

or you will be just looking to throw all that money away within a few months

Read a lot of books - internet forums are not the best place to get this info because of ill advice. Maximum Boost by Cory Bell is the best book I've ever read. Also - hit the link in the faq - the last post and read it. At 140,000 miles a good ge motor is just getting broken in. Do a compression test on it and make sure the compression is in an acceptable range according to the manual. If it is, then there is nothing wrong with using that motor for turbo.

I have a 2jz-ge with STOCK internals dynoed 353 at the rear wheels. www.turboforums.com has one with STOCK internals running 500+ horsepower. What does that tell you?

sorry i guess it is a matter of perspective

i prefer to do things the right way and once

not that anything is wrong with using stock internals

but even the NA and turbo version of the same supra engine are different

in strok bore and reinforcemnts for the internals

even ford does this

so if going to spend the money on a turbo

take the engine apart reinforce it and then go fromm there

someone even has a tubo on a 1mz-fe engine( camry, same as a es 300)

it works but

in definition of design it is stupid as it is only running of one bank of exhaust runners

when it should be both for a turbo

as it will create an unbalance internally causing crank walk and bearing seizer in the long run

but like i said anything can work

just how long

The stroke and bore are the same. The compression is lower. And the intake manifold is different and there is a turbo manifold and the head is designed for pressurized flow but these are minimal matters as NA motors handle boost and FI motors don't run well without boost. "Do it right the first time" - come on, :rolleyes: do you know how many na-t GE's there are out there - this is not a loose toleranced, head warping, sloppy built ford 6 pal. The GE is merely the NA counterpart of arguably one of the strongest motors ever built form overdesigned conception to bulletproof production reality.

Look:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...=3&t=996&st=15&

I'm getting tired of this discussion so I'm not going to bring it up again. The motors are interchangeable. The heads can be swapped, the blocks can be swapped, the rods are the same forged piece, the pistons are both forged/resin coated, two piece oil sump, crank, 7 four bolt mains, etc. Compression is deifferent (there is your difference in pistons and squish), head ports are different due to the pressure/density of FI. A NA head does just fine under pressure. A FI head don't do so hot without pressure.

Meddle - Angel's site is down - turboforum.net. You can catch him at supraforums as well as several other turboed GE motors. Sure, after so much boost you are going to want to do something about compression but you can check out Scott's site - http://www.datapathusa.com/scott/scott.html

Yes, all three of those. Dished pistons, thicker head gasket and slightly different combustion chamber in the head.

That is how the GE guys drop the compression. GTE(or gte spec aftermarket) pistons and gte spec head gasket. Or one or the other for varied CR's.