New Sc400 Owner!

nailzer

I started looking at what was available in the area and found a 1997 SC400, pearl (white?) with a tan interior owned by a lady who kept it in way above average condition. Very clean inside and out The only "flaws" I could find was the cup holder in front of the console was broken. The tab that keeps the lid down was broken, and it has a parking light bulb burnt out. Is $13,500 about right for the year and condition?

It has 90,125. I ran a Carfax and it comes up totally clean.

Kelley Blue book will give you a pretty acurate value for it, but based on the mileage and year I'd say it's a really good buy. I'd do some deeper research than just CarFax though. My previous car (91 Integra) had been in one accident before I bought it in '94 plus another accident since I've had it, but CarFax reports that vin number as TOTALLY "CLEAN" also. So I'd only look at one of those reports as icing on the cake.

I just bought a '93 SC400 two months ago myself (89k mi). I'd advise calling your local Lexus dealer (service dept.) with the vin number and having them run a record on every repair performed by Lexus. They're databases run nationwide, so you don't have to bother calling the state the car's registered in. That'll at least let you know whther or not it's been maintained by Lexus qualified technicians.

good luck.

Just for comparison last November I purchased a tan SC400 wit 69K. One owner. all service records. Immaculate car. I paid 18K for it including shipping. I could not find one in our area for under 24K exept one that flunked carfax as a total. By the way it needed new tires, another grand. I would say your price price is in the ballpark.

13/5 isn't a bad price for this car. Don't know what the options are onboard, but it's something I might buy.

I would also recommend having the Local Lexus dealer conduct a Pre delivery inspection to make sure everything is fully functional before you put money down. You can use the report to bargain with the lady.

13/5 isn't a bad price for this car.  Don't know what the options are onboard, but it's something I might buy. 

I would also recommend having the Local Lexus dealer conduct a Pre delivery inspection to make sure everything is fully functional before you put money down.  You can use the report to bargain with the lady.

The car was leased and sold in Tampa, and the car has had regular service from the Tampa Lexus dealer up to the 90,000 mile service. That hasn't been done yet.

It kind of concerns from what I read on the forum about the cost, but it might also be good to bargain with.

I hope Lexus's service is better then their service reps. I talked to a lady in the service and asked if she could run the VIN. She said give her 5 minutes and she would call back. That was an hour ago. Anyway that dealership does services at 15, 30, and 60,000 miles, with the 60,000 mile service costing $800.00, and they don't change timing belts until 100,000 miles. I'd like to know what the 60,000 mile service consists of. I remember a thread that showed the most expensive service and it looked like it was almost all inspection.