97 Es300 Battery

The battery of my 97 ES300 is not original. I think it is under sized as it looks small and I see "45AH" marked on the battery.

I'm considering replacing the battery, but am not sure what the original specifications of the battery are. I searched the forum but could not find the required information. Should I look for a battery with the required Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA)? If so, what is the CCA of the 97 ES300 battery?

Does anybody has the information? Thanks in advance.

The battery of my 97 ES300 is not original. I think it is under sized as it looks small and I see "45AH" marked on the battery.

I'm considering replacing the battery, but am not sure what the original specifications of the battery are. I searched the forum but could not find the required information. Should I look for a battery with the required Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA)? If so, what is the CCA of the 97 ES300 battery?

Optima Yellow Top is the best battery. A lexus OEM batter is $100 I believe.

Just wondering why use a yellow top? Unless you have a HUGE "kicker" and need the voltage, the red top is the way to go.

I think the stock battery is around 500 to 600 CCA and the red top is 850 CCA.

Just wondering why use a yellow top? Unless you have a HUGE "kicker" and need the voltage, the red top is the way to go.

I think the stock battery is around 500 to 600 CCA and the red top is 850 CCA.

Thanks mburnickas for the CCA info. Is the 500 to 600 CCA the EN or DIN scale? Thanks again.

lol sk & steviej,  :lol:

Agreed Eric, usually get the battery with the higher CCA if cold weather is a concern where you live. 

:cheers:

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it.

In where I live, there are no red tops, yellows or diehards. Most of the brands I'm not familiar with. That's why I'm looking for the required specifications of the battery to make better match. Probably a more well known brand in where I live is the Varta. From Varta's website I did a search by vehicle model and year, the suggested battery has a CCA of 390 (EN). I think the EN refers to the EN standard as opposed to the DIN standard.

Lexusfreak, in where I live, the coldest temperature is about 50F in the winter. In that case, should I care about the CCA? Or just most of the batteries will do?

Thanks.

I was going to say "Diehard" also! :lol: Didn't notice Eric was in HK. I lived there from 1987 to 1990, but didn't have a car. Are you on HK or Kowloon? Can you order a battery and have it shipped in, or are you pretty much at the mercy of what they have at the local garages?

You know ,i read HK and i just keep thinking JDM dreams and lump asian into JAPAN.

My bad ,speaking of which saw the grudge based in Japan after a Japanese original movie, a very funny movie( if you like laughing at all the people jump up and down in the theater.

I was going to say "Diehard" also!  :lol:  Didn't notice Eric was in HK.  I lived there from 1987 to 1990, but didn't have a car.  Are you on HK or Kowloon?  Can you order a battery and have it shipped in, or are you pretty much at the mercy of what they have at the local garages?

Jack, I think I'm pretty much at the mercy of what the local stores have. Most tire shops in HK also sell batteries, though the variety is not great. As long as the battery is with the spec and of reasonable price, I'll be happy with it. Yesterday I saw one in a tire shop with 500 CCA at -18F. It is maintenance free type and was made in Malaysia.

Glad to hear you lived in HK for several years. I live in an area to the north of Kowloon called the New Territories. If you had taken the KCR train (not the subway), the area where I live in is near the terminus in the north end.

Rate the battery by spec's and then rate the brand. The Optima's have a certain design advantage, but is it really worth it (primary advantage is you can discharge and it doesn't damage the battery, normal battery loses 25% capacity everytime you discharge it). Assuming you don't have any unusual electrical loads like a 2,000 watt amp or a 300amp alternator!

A. Generally for cars you can tell by CCA or CA. Cold cranking amps or just cranking amps. THe bigger the better.

B. Reserve Capacity (RC)

The second most important consideration is the Reserve Capacity. [RC is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C) can be discharged at 25 amps until the voltage falls below 10.5 volts.] More RC is better in every case! In a hot climate, for example, if your car has a 360 OEM cranking amp requirement, then a 400 CCA rated battery with 120 minute RC with more electrolyte would be more desirable than one with 1000 CCA with 90 minutes of RC.

Not to be nit-picky, but....

Oh, what the heck, let's be nit-picky:

That's not really a Lexus OEM battery. It's an OEM replacement battery. 'OEM' means it comes from the original equipment manufacturer - or Lexus. So a Lexus battery is OEM and Optima is OEM replacement.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

Rate the battery by spec's and then rate the brand.  The Optima's have a certain design advantage, but is it really worth it (primary advantage is you can discharge and it doesn't damage the battery, normal battery loses 25% capacity everytime you discharge it).  Assuming you don't have any unusual electrical loads like a 2,000 watt amp or a 300amp alternator!

A.  Generally for cars you can tell by CCA or CA.  Cold cranking amps or just cranking amps.  THe bigger the better. 

B. Reserve Capacity (RC)

The second most important consideration is the Reserve Capacity. [RC is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C) can be discharged at 25 amps until the voltage falls below 10.5 volts.] More RC is better in every case! In a hot climate, for example, if your car has a 360 OEM cranking amp requirement, then a 400 CCA rated battery with 120 minute RC with more electrolyte would be more desirable than one with 1000 CCA with 90 minutes of RC.

Leroy, thanks a lot for the very useful advice. I'll bear that in mind. BTW, is the RC related to the AH number? My current under-sized battery is rated 45AH.

Rate the battery by spec's and then rate the brand.  The Optima's have a certain design advantage, but is it really worth it (primary advantage is you can discharge and it doesn't damage the battery, normal battery loses 25% capacity everytime you discharge it).  Assuming you don't have any unusual electrical loads like a 2,000 watt amp or a 300amp alternator!

A.  Generally for cars you can tell by CCA or CA.  Cold cranking amps or just cranking amps.  THe bigger the better. 

B. Reserve Capacity (RC)

Your points are all valid, but your example might be cutting it a bit close.

CCA requirements are rated for new cars. If your car has a 360 CCA OEM requirement, that's based on when it leaves the factory. After 8 years, it may well take more amps. So, 400 might be cutting it a little close.

But your point is correct. Just don't take it to extremes.