Would You Change Your Mind?

Husker4theSpurs

I know the transmission is a big topic on here and I'm wondering about getting the RX myself b/c of a lot of what I've read on here.

I guess my question is ... for those of you who have the RX and have noticed a hesitation in the transmission ... would you make the same decision to buy after experiencing it first hand over a longer period of time? Too wordy I know.

Is it something you've gotten used to? Something that just bugs you still? Something you find dangerous?

Thanks.

IMHO, I think the transmission hesitation is way overstated. I did notice a slight hesitation during the first couple of months but nothing that I would call dangerous and it didn't occur all the time. Now I don't really notice it. My wife is the primary driver and she has never complained about a hesitation. Whether the tranny learned my driving habits or I've adjusted to the tranny, I can't really say. I don't think my driving style has changed (much to the disappointment of my wife!).

I do know that the ride in our RX330 is incredible! It is luxurious, quiet, smooth and very comfortable. It also has plenty of power, especially for passing or merging into traffic. We get compliments from many of our passengers on how quiet and smooth the ride is. We have no regrets about choosing the RX and think its worth every penny we spent.

FYI, 90,000 RX330's were sold last year, the best selling mid-size SUV. If there was a signficant problem with the tranny, I think we'd see many more complaints than the number we currently see.

I recommend that you take a test drive. Drive it like you would any other day and if the tranny doesn't perform to your liking, then buy a different SUV. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

My opinion is well-known on this forum. Based on our experiences with the transmission in my wife's 2000 RX300, we'll never buy another one. This has been the most disappointing vehicle we've owned during the past 25 years. She'll probably go back to the upscale model of the Jeep Grand Cherokee when she's done with her RX. It's faster, has more cargo room, has much better 4x4 capabilities, and it just isn't susceptible to the transmission, exhaust manifold, and oxygen sensor problems that seem to plague the RX series. We've had three of them and should have gotten another one rather than her Lexus.

If your mind is made up for a small Japanese "luxury" SUV, I think the best bang-for-the-buck right now is the Infiniti FX series. This vehicle will run circles around the RX, and I believe it's engineered better. Check it out for yourself.

One thing to remember when using on line forums is that you tend to find people with problems gathered together, this sometimes gives the impression that all of the cars are crap. You need to talk to some mechanics in your area and see how many of these problems they see in the real world. Get the sales figures for the car you're looking at I'm sure that the percentage will be very low. This being said you still need to decide if you are willing to take a chance that you will not be in the unlucky group that gets one of these very low percentages of bad cars. Do you feel lucky?

I went for it and just bought my 2000 Rx with 17500 miles. Some people say wow that is great with such low miles and others will say there must be something wrong with it if it has such low miles (lemon). I checked Car Fax, I called Lexus dealer with Vin and they checked the service records with all Lexus dealers, they are all linked together and will do it for free. I found only the free 5000 mile change, so worst case mine didn't have the oil changed for 12k miles. I am ok with that.

Good luck Jeff

This is my third RX (previously '99 & '01) and I still love it. I did experience some annoying hesitation at first, but after the "ECM Calibration Shifting Enhancement," it's much better! But then again, I have the Performance Package which may have made a difference in its handling.

I've compared the RX to just about all the competitions out there and still found it to be much better in both design and quality -- especially in its value. I have NOT regretted a bit about getting my third RX. In fact, if Lexus keeps it up, they may have a customer for life here!

I spent a good 4 months researching all SUVs in the same category including the X5, tourag and FX. I've test driven almost all SUVs in this category... and chose the RX330 coz of the awesome smooth ride, luxurious features and the best interiors in the whole category.

I've put around 4000 miles on my RX and have no complaints whatsoever. Never felt the "Lag" or any other tranny "issues". I would buy it all over again.

Like the others I would emphasize that the complaints that you see on the board are probably a small percentage of the total number of RX owners ... especially compared to the owners who are happy with their purchase.

I have had my RX330 for over a year now (since 7/03) and do feel the slight "hesitation" in the response time between stepping on the gas pedal and the car accelerating. I did get the ECM update when it first came out last year and the performance improved right away but unfortunately seemed to have reverted back to its orginal behavior. Having said that, I enjoy the vehicle for its ride quality (very quiet), ergonomics, and looks. And I really think it is just a matter of getting used to the behavior of the transmission. At least it is consistent and predictable.

For anyone looking to buy this vehicle, don't read too much into all these opininons and just go test drive it yourself. Your own feedback is all that counts.

I have had my RX330 for over a year now (since 7/03) and do feel the slight "hesitation" in the response time between stepping on the gas pedal and the car accelerating.

Oh! That's the hesitation you guys are talking about. Hmmm. I've driven in the past easily one of the quickest street-driven automatic tranny cars most people could even imagine. It would barely move until the 600 horse engine hit 3,500 rpm. Talk about your poor fuel milage! Most of the hesitation you are talking about has to do with torque converter stall speed. There is no direct mechanical link between the engine and trans in an automatic equipped vehicle (lock up converters being the exception and then only at cruise). The converter must come up to higher RPM before it applies enough force to spin the opposing stator at the proper ratio. If you want this thing to move rapidly off the line hold your foot on the brake give it the gas and then release the brake. I believe Toyota has somehow compromised the initial application of engine torque with a converter not properly calibrated for lower engine speed. I do find it an annoying aspect of the car but every car has some compromises.

The transmissions are fine, the issue is because of the "Fly by wire" and the ~2 seconds it takes for the computer to calculate and move the throttle after you push the gas pedal. It IS very dangerous, but nevertheless a very nice car otherwise. I'm learning to adjust and know that I cant count on getting out of someones way fast (pulling out into traffic, etc), so I don't take any chances.

To demonstrate, go up to about 20mph... let go of the gas and coast for a few seconds... then try to accelerate. There will be a ~2 second delay before the car responds.

Other than this potentially dangerous issue and a poor service experience at a new dealer in the Worcester, MA area, I love everything else about the vehicle. Two friends have bought them after trying mine.

Mike L

One thing to remember when using on line forums is that you tend to find people with problems gathered together, this sometimes gives the impression that all of the cars are crap.

This is VERY true, and I've argued this time and time again on here. I'm not saying some people don't have problems, but some people keep on looking for problems too. No offense to RX in NC (and I mean that, please don't start another argument this is only an example) but his first posts on here were about his wife wanting an RX300 and him being so unhappy with it, well before his transmission problems started. He's also said several things about telling his wife regardless of how she likes the RX they will not get another one. He's hated that vehicle since day 1 making him hardly impartial.

Keep in mind that you're coming from an Explorer, one of the most notorious vehicles for transmission failure on the road. 85% of the A4LD transmissions in the Explorer fail before 75,000 miles.

I do agree with RX in NC about the FX however, although not because of engineering issues (Infiniti has had many problems with the FX, recalls about poor seat materials and interior parts, recalls about the steering rack and gear, drivability problems with the big 20in wheels) but simply because its a much cooler vehicle in a much sportier package. If you don't have a family to haul around, go for the FX.

I know the transmission is a big topic on here and I'm wondering about getting the RX myself b/c of a lot of what I've read on here.

I guess my question is ... for those of you who have the RX and have noticed a hesitation in the transmission ... would you make the same decision to buy after experiencing it first hand over a longer period of time? Too wordy I know.

Is it something you've gotten used to? Something that just bugs you still? Something you find dangerous?

I really think this transmission "problem" is BS.

I had a 1990 Mustang GT Conv. (auto trans.) If you punched the go pedal, the friggin wheels would spin into 3 gear! What exactly is the difference between instant responce (wheel spin) or lag (hesitation) If you now the car, You know what its going to do, and when its going to do it!

I loved that Mustang for everything it was supposed to be: A semi-muscle car that went fast in a straight line. Anyone who thinks it did anything more than that is kidding themselves.

I Bought my RX330 in March of 2004. I've found it to be exactly what I thought it would be A HIGH RIDING CAR!!!!!

If I wanted the pickup and handling I would of bought a corvette.

If i wanted the 4x4 bounce and handling of a peterbuilt I would have bought a Durango.

I find this "car" to be a nice blend between the two. What do people really expect, a Corvette that can climb mountains in 10 feet of snow???

Needless to say, I just got my RX back from her 5000 service. I had them change the oil with MY oil (not even a question asked) My "creaky" drivers seat was not only fixed, but they found a creak in the sunrood clip that i didn't even hear!

Not to mention they found a screw in the back tire that I forgot to tell them about.

Of course I got a nice es330 to drive for the day as a Free Loaner (which turned out to be overnight because I didn't feel like driving down at rush hour to pick up my car!)

Whew! didn't mean to vent but when I think back on all the cars I've had. I would never go back to my Ford or GM dealer and have anywhere the satisfaction i feel now.

J>

I didn't really get to drive until I returned from Iraq. As the months went on, the transmission experience/issue prompted us to sell or trade the RX. But, we really haven't found anything that comes close, so looks like the RX will be with us for quite a while. The RX330 has way more room in the rear seating and many features other brands don't offer for the price we paid.

One way of dealing with the shifting issue is I just manually shift between 3rd through 5th and don't change to the next higher gear until the engine is at 3000rpms or higher. That technique makes driving tollerable and the engine seems to like it. I still have to ease into the throttle from a stop or rolling stop as the engine RPMs will climb due to the slow engagement of the transmission.

I would really like to be able to reprogram the upshifting and downshifting of the transmission. It seems to run better with higher engine RPM than with the programmed lazy, gas saving shifts.

I guess my question is ... for those of you who have the RX and have noticed a hesitation in the transmission ... would you make the same decision to buy after experiencing it first hand over a longer period of time?  Too wordy I know.

Is it something you've gotten used to?  Something that just bugs you still?  Something you find dangerous?

Thanks.

I haven't gotten used to it. It is something that bugs me and is dangerous. This is too much money to pay and Toyota makes too much off this vehicle for this to have been addressed like it has. Dealer service is poor. Have been to 3 Lexus dealerships so far and have yet to have the "Lexus" experience. They don't want to step up to the plate and fix the tranny problem. I suggest you look at alternative vehicles, especially the Volvo XC 90 with 300 h.p. v-8 coming soon for 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had my 330 for 18 months. I took it to the dealer 4 times before finally gettting them to address the xmission issue. Their standard response was - 'works as designed' Finally, I found on this forum the secret code to give the dealer, to show that their was indeed a known issue. They then reloaded the ECM, and it fixed most of the wierd shifting issues. It did not fix the upshift delay being discussed here. I filed a complaint on that issue with the TSA. I dont jump in front of traffic, knowing that I will have the delay. I would buy the car again, though. It is the nicest car I have ever driven, espcially an 'SUV'.

Been thinking..............AGAIN!

My 01 AWD RX300's transmission fluid has a burned look and odor at just 38k miles. This on a vehicle that has no tow hitch but with the tow package (extra transmission fluid cooler in front of right front wheelwell) and no designated fluid/replenish maintainance schedule.

I have sent at least three missives to customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com and what I get back each time is that I should check with the dealer about why my RX has burned fluid. Apparently something they do not wish to put in writing.

Up until just this week I have been assuming that the designers underestimated the heating contributed by the VC.

But then I keep hearing/reading about these hesitation problems and that got me to thinking on another thread.

I am absolutely sure that my 01's transmission shifts into another gear, or maybe even neutral, during coastdown.

Some have described it as a "slingshot" effect or as if being bumped from behind just before coming to a full stop. I have attributed this effect to a desire to increase fuel economy and/or reduce the instances of loss of control on a slippery surface as the result of engine braking to the front, drive, wheels.

But suppose for a moment that I'm correct and the vehicle is being shifted into neutral in these instances.

My 01 DOES NOT have an e-throttle so the instant I depress the footfeed the engine will react and apply high output......while the transmission is still in neutral or an inappropreately higher gear??

Now THAT would result in premature BURNING of the transmission fluid!

But now with e-throttle the later models might have a firmware fix that delays the onset of engine torque until the transmission can be shifted into the correct gear and allow time for the clutches or bands to be full seated before excessive torque is applied.

Obviously just guessing, but....

Thanks for sharing. This is certainly "food for thought".

Keep us posted as you dig further into your particular situation with Lexus. You may want to consider battling for a new transmission as I did. It doesn't fix the inherent design flaws, but a new transmission allows you to "restart the clock" on the life of your vehicle. My wife has put about 26,000 miles on her new (rebuilt) transmission since it was installed last November. In a word, her satisfaction with the vehicle since then has been better but still not what she thinks it should be. I would agree with that summation.

Try this......

As you slow to a stop, at just about the time you would release the clutch for a manual transmission, slip the gear level into first.

I suspect that in this case the transmission will actually shift into first and now you will be able to accelerate away for a full stop rapidly.

Not saying the design feature is justified, just something to try for those of you so very frustrated about this.

And of course more information to take to the complaint department.