Tire Change Required?

Hi All,

I am considering whether to change the MXV4 stock tires that came with my 1999 Lexus ES300 this season this end season. It still has roughly around 60% tread left but it is around 5 years old now with 41k driven on it. It is also driven in winter for the past 5 years.

I have been noticing the car is a little bit harder to stop during the past year and seems more slippery on wet services. I'm a little jiffy about this upcoming winter season because of the snow and ice we get here in T.O. and know that 60% tread left is not recommended for winter driving

Please Advise,

Thanks,

Al

I agree with SW03ES, its time to change them out. If not for the tire itself, for your piece of mind. I had the same dilemna last fall but didn't and all winter I obssessed about it but didn't act on it. I wasted alot of time just worrying whether or not I would make it without incident in the next snow storm.

To answer your next unasked question......look into the Toyo Proxes TPT as your next tire if you want to avoid the exorbitant price of the Mickeys.

steviej

I bought the Toyo Proxes TPT since I got them at a good price. So far after a little over 2K miles they are louder them my dunlaps. Then handle great and treadwear is still too eary, but so far the tire noise is still there. I still like them big time and maybe it will go away in some miles 1,000 or less

I bought the Toyo Proxes TPT since I got them at a good price. So far after a little over 2K miles they are louder them my dunlaps.

Thats really strange, my tires are totally silent. The Dunlop SP Sport 4000 and 5000 are quiet tires but the TPT is at least just as quiet.

What PSI are they aired to?

Try increasing them. I think my TPTs are smoother and ride better somewhere around 30.5. Airing them down makes them "smoother" but it also increases noise. To me 30.5 offers that right Lexus ride, smooth like glass but not floaty and totally silent. I tried a whole bunch of pressures before I found this one.

Thanks I will try that. I like the tires but hate the "tire on road noise". First time I heard it, I thought I had mudders on the ES..so to speak!

Try increasing them. I think my TPTs are smoother and ride better somewhere around 30.5. Airing them down makes them "smoother" but it also increases noise. To me 30.5 offers that right Lexus ride, smooth like glass but not floaty and totally silent. I tried a whole bunch of pressures before I found this one.

Yeah thats definately not right...

If it persists you might want to see if Toyo will swap them out for another set...

The tires just make more noise then my Dunlap 4000 sports. Is it bad, no but even the wife said it is loader in the car.

For the price I paid, I can deal with the little road noise.

I agree with SW03ES, its time to change them out.  If not for the tire itself, for your piece of mind.  I had the same dilemna last fall but didn't and all winter I obssessed about it but didn't act on it.  I wasted alot of time just worrying whether or not I would make it without incident in the next snow storm.

To answer your next unasked question......look into the Toyo Proxes TPT as your next tire if you want to avoid the exorbitant price of the Mickeys.

steviej

As a new IS300 2004 owner, I am considering the Blizzak LM-22 or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. They look to be better rated by customers than the Toyo Proxes TPT.

I would appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Larry

I agree with SW03ES, its time to change them out.  If not for the tire itself, for your piece of mind.  I had the same dilemna last fall but didn't and all winter I obssessed about it but didn't act on it.  I wasted alot of time just worrying whether or not I would make it without incident in the next snow storm.

steviej

As a new IS300 2004 owner, I am considering the Blizzak LM-22 or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2. They look to be better rated by customers than the Toyo Proxes TPT.

I would appreciate all comments.

Thanks.

Larry

Blizzaks and Alpins are dedicated winter snow tires and will be counter productive in the spring, summer and fall. However, if you are looking for a dedicated snow/winter tire then you got two of the best.

The Toyo TPT are a superior ALL-season radial.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

i'm actually going to be the market for tires too and all your comments on Toyo are starting to make me consider them, but how do all of you feel about the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V tires? I am seriously considering those tires as well because of the reviews and ratings I've seen on tirerack. Maybe even the Continental ContiExtremeContact. Thanks in advance for your input!

-Andrew