What Do These Lights Mean?

ArmyofOne

ok, there are 2 lights on my dash...that i have no idea what they do...

the first one looks like a car, and on the rear it has little marks...like illumination marks or something:

whatlight.jpg

and the other...is ECT (yes thats ECT, not ETC). its located in the center fo the tachometer (which comes in handy BTW)...there is a switch on the center console that turns this ECT light on, i have driven with it both on and off and i felt no difference in driving or performance:

whatlight2.jpg

can somebody PLZ tell me what these lights are for??? the one thats always on when im in any gear...it really bugs me...:geek:

The orange car with the marks behind it means that you have a burnt or almost burnt tail light(check 3rd brake light too). ECT PWR(stands for electronic controlled transmission power) is a much debated button as to whether it does anything or not. It is meant to give a sportier feel by holding the gears and upshifting more often. BTW, if you register at Lexus.com owners section, they'll send a brand new owner's manual your way free. ;)

:cheers:

i know, its already on its way...thanks man!!! whew...as long as thats all those lights mean...i thought there was something wrong with a sensor or something in the rear end...i was kind of worried...but if all i gotta do is change alightbulb...then i feel better...thanks. :lol:

EDIT: does your 94 ES have that ECT power thingy???

Yep, my '94 does have the ECT PWR switch; I think they did away with the switch in the '02+ ES. I never use the PWR mode though. I'm cheap, and I drive a lot of miles each year-about 20k, so I try and conserve as much fuel($$) as possible. I have used the PWR mode before, and I have noticed the gear holding...it's pretty neat. For a lot of fun, turn the PWR switch on and O/D off! lol

Also, if you change all of the bulbs and the malfunction light is still on, you might have a bulb that is on its way out, but it's not completely dead yet. I had one of those for about a month before I broke down and spent $35 at the dealer for all of the bulbs in the rear end of my LS. $35 for 8 bulbs is indeed insane, but I quickly found my sanity after that light went out in the dash! :D

:cheers:

My 97 ES300 does not have the ECT switch. I got it fully loaded...with the AVS, even. I think the 97~00 does not have the switch.

The light warning light will also come on if the sensor itself is malfunctioning. My friend has a 97 also, and all the lights are working, but the sensor is broken. A $400 fix!

My 97 ES300 does not have the ECT switch. I got it fully loaded...with the AVS, even. I think the 97~00 does not have the switch.

The light warning light will also come on if the sensor itself is malfunctioning. My friend has a 97 also, and all the lights are working, but the sensor is broken. A $400 fix!

NOT what i wanted to hear...for that price, i will live with the damned light.

i do have a left liscense plate lamp out, would that trigger it???

i cant believe my car has a light to tell me when i have a light out LOL.

it doesnt work for the front, i have a foglamp out (the yellow one on the drivers side) and it doesnt say anything about lights up front LOL.

cool, well since its cheap to replace the bulb, and it needs replaced anyway, i will start there LOL. if its the sensor, it will stay bad. im beginning to worry about what the price of parts is going to do (increase/decrease) as these cars get older and more rare...its getting to the point where the dealer doesnt even carry parts for certain cars (for instance, my friends 84 corolla) anymore.

on my 2002,

-if the little light comes on and stays on when the headlight switch is turned to the first or second clickstop, it means a taillight bulb is out.

-if the little light comes on when you step on the brake pedal, it means a brake light bulb is out.

steviej

my light is on, no matter if the lights are on or not.

i think i may just pull the intrument cluster out and remove the bulb from the socket.

it drives me nutzo...

before i do though, imay repace all of the bulbs in the rear of the car, just to be sure. they need it anyway, being 15 years old and all.

• 4 weeks later...
my light is on, no matter if the lights are on or not.

i think i may just pull the intrument cluster out and remove the bulb from the socket.

it drives me nutzo...

before i do though, imay repace all of the bulbs in the rear of the car, just to be sure. they need it anyway, being 15 years old and all.

You can use 1.99 bulbs from the hardware store for the 90-91 es250, i did, no difference in looks at all, after all the tail lights are just plain clear bulbs.

Dont know if you have installed these yet but i thought i would add my 2 cents.

Chris

Did you get your bulb replaced? I need to do the same with my ES250... I think the only bulb I have out is the one of the license plate lights...

The Liscense plate light is not whaty triggers it. rplace the light, but dont expect it will make the light go away.

i may go tomorrow and get the rest of the bulbs, i have a power steering belt to return.

all of the bulbs in the rear of the es250 are cheap, dont get suckered into buying from the dealer or anything. I replaced my license plate bulbs for under $1.00.

Once the lights are replaced, the dash light pertaining to burnt out lights will go out, or is supposed to, it might not if something electrical is messed up.