Towing Weight Question

carrieN3chicks

We just picked up a Certified Used '00 LX470. Doing some research all US Lexus info states it can tow 6500 lbs. I found an Austrialian spec that states "With brakes towing capacity - 3500KG" (abt 7100lbs). We will be adding a trailer braking device. Any thoughts on what we realistically can pull? One trailer we have is under the 6600 weight with cargo but we are looking at another rv/toyhauler that could weigh more. We'd use load leveling devices.

Thanks in Advance.

I had a 94 Toyota Land Cruiser and blew the front axle seals out ($650.00) by pulling a 6,000lbs camper. I too had the electric brakes, but the killer was the “weight distribution hitch”. The function of this hitch is to put 35% of the load on the front axle of the vehicle. After talking with the Toyota dealer and Toyota Customer service, they do not recommend the weight distribution hitch for any "fulltime" four-wheel drive Truck/SUV.

We pulled the camper for a couple of months before the seals blew. But when they went it dam near put us in the ditch. You'll also know by the excessive grease/oil spots under each front hub when you park

the Cruiser had 67,000 miles on it when this happened.

Please check with your dealer

Dakrri

wisconsin

I had a 94 Toyota Land Cruiser and blew the front axle seals out ($650.00) by pulling a 6,000lbs camper. I too had the electric brakes, but the killer was the “weight distribution hitch”. The function of this hitch is to put 35% of the load on the front axle of the vehicle. After talking with the Toyota dealer and Toyota Customer service, they do not recommend the weight distribution hitch for any "fulltime" four-wheel drive Truck/SUV.

We pulled the camper for a couple of months before the seals blew. But when they went it dam near put us in the ditch. You'll also know by the excessive grease/oil spots under each front hub when you park

the Cruiser had 67,000 miles on it when this happened.

Please check with your dealer

Dakrri

wisconsin

I believe the 99 and 00 are rated to pull 6500 lbs MAX!! So with this rating, I would say 5000 lbs dry weight of a trailer will be around the trailer I will pull with your LX. When you start putting the other weight, (water, groceries, camping stuff, accesories, passenger, gear, etc.) you should be around the max wait of 6500 LBS.

I have a boat that weigh's about 5000 pounds loaded with fuel and my 99 LX470 pulls it pretty well but it does seem to struggle in reaching highway speeds. I have a K&N air filter run K&N Oil filter with Mobile 1 synthetic oil only in my LX470. I would not want to add a lot more weight than the boat at 5000 pounds.

I have an '03 Landcruiser that I pull my corvette around with. Total, the trailer and car weight about 6700lbs. I talk to a couple of people they are extremely certified in the Landcruiser/LX470 and they said that these vehicles are over engineered and can handle more than they stated towing capacity. It pulls my trailer very well and is stable with the added weight. You do need to be careful with more weight because the trailer will started to tell the car where to go. That is were it really can get dangerous. I do think that if you have the weight on the trailer distributed well, you can pull 7000lbs but I would not do much over that. Just too much for the car. Hope this helps.

Steve

• 3 months later...

i recently towed my sports car (3500lb) on a Uhaul autotransport (2000lbs) from SoCal to Idaho with my 99' 470 which was easily loaded with over 1000lbs of gear/boxes and the car performed flawlessly. crested several major hills/passes with the AC on in warm/hot weather......no problems at all......even got decent milage! currently i tow my Aprilia Caponord (~456lbs)

foto_mod_pg_486_1095434905.jpg

on a two bike trailer (~1500lbs) and you cant even feel the extra load. the 470 is an awesome tow vehicle.

regards,

terry