Weird Sound At Drive Beginning

bailey

This probably is a stupid question... but bear with me folks.

I've never owned a car with auto-transmission before. .. its always been manual 5-speed.

Now I am hearing a sound when I start to drive my new RX330.

So I go from 'P' ---> 'R' and then to 'D' and then when I start accelerating I hear this subtle sound.. that sounds like something engaging. Its not the door locks, as that engages as soon as I move 'P'--->'R'.

So anyone tell me what that might be ? Appreciate it.

got anymore info to fill in?

speed to and from?

My RX is an AWD. Is it normal for this single latching sound to be produced when the AWD engages ?

This sound happens only when I pull out my car from parking after starting the engine. Once started, I have tried to reproduce this sound by intermittently stopping(leaving the engine on) and moving to P and back to D and accelerating, without any success.

This single latching sound is heard only immediately after starting the engine and going P to D and accelerating (at very low speeds like 5 mph and at 1500 rpm too).

got anymore info to fill in?

speed to and from?

My RX is an AWD. Is it normal for this single latching sound to be produced when the AWD engages ?

This sound happens only when I pull out my car from parking after starting the engine. Once started, I have tried to reproduce this sound by intermittently stopping(leaving the engine on) and moving to P and back to D and accelerating, without any success.

This single latching sound is heard only immediately after starting the engine and going P to D and accelerating (at very low speeds like 5 mph and at 1500 rpm too).

It is your Anti-Lock Break System. What you're hearing is normal. If you look in your manual under "ANTI-LOCK BREAK SYSTEM", it will say this

From the Manual....

The anti-lock break system is design to automatically help prevent lock-up of the wheels during a sudden break or braking on slippery road surfaces. This assist in providing directional stability and steering performance of the vehicle under these circumstances.

The anti-lock brake systme becomes operative after the vehicle has accelerated to a speed in excess of approximately 10km/h (6 mph). It stops operating when the vehicle decelerates to a speed below approximately 5km/h (3 mph).

You may hear a click or motor sound in the engine compartment for a few second when the engine is started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This means that the anti-lock break system is in the self-check mode, and does not indicate a malfunction.

I hope this solves your curiousity and hope that you enjoy your new lexus. B)