Exhaust Going

aqteam

Hi, I;ve got an 96 ES300 with 220km and I noticed a rumbling and since it wan;t my stomach, I put the car up on the hoist and found the noise and air leaking from the exhaust system. It came from a flex hose right after the two exhaust manifolds meet with a Y (right under the engine).

I called $ Lexus $ javascript:emoticon(':censored:')

javascript:emoticon(':censored:') and they said I have to buy the whole unit 1500 can $ and 600 for a aftermarket piece. The whole unit is basically all the pipes in the front end of the car I assume.

Does anyone know how I can fix this without robbing my wife's account.

Thanks

$1500, $600 for aftermarket? I'm ignorant of how that translates to U.S. prices.

I had to replace my exhaust due to backing into a parking spot too far and hitting the curb (the curb was very high). It basically jammed the outer pipe into the inner pipes and right into the manifold to make a long story short. My whole exhaust system needed to be replaced and I paid a bit less than $500 including labor.

My suggestion: Don't go through Lexus, dealer prices are always going to be through the roof. And if you have a problem that needs to be fixed by a dealer (I never have until now with my ABS sensor), almost any Toyota dealer can perform the same service for less. I took it to a local repair shop (one that I trust). I'm pretty sure they used the Camry part as well, and I've had no problems with the new exhaust (I've even duplicated my back into the curb job - and after feeling my heart sink been able to pull away with NO noise from the exhaust).

Good luck.

It is less than an hours work to replace

Your cat is seperate from the y-pipe so it should be cheaper.

I payed about $250 for an OEM lexus peice a few years ago when i replaced mine. Before replacing it see if you need a new dogbone mount first ,this will keep you from buying another y-pipe faster than needed.

It should only be $50-80 for labour.

Let me know if you need a shop and what area you are in Toronto.

• 7 months later...

I think I have the same problem. My flex pipe (front pipe, y-pipe, header pipe) call it what you want.

went to speedy and their quote is $800 using a NAPA pipe. or $750 using a Basal brand pipe.

Any comments on NAPA or Basal. Is OEM worth the $1400? :o

go to Midas, Speedy or Meineke and get their opinion.  Check out a Toyota shop too.

steviej

I agree, shop around & get second & third opinions. I noticed aq you are in the Toronto area......where abouts (east end, west end, downtown)? :unsure: I have a couple of independent mechanics I deal with that charge much less for labour than any of the dealers (Lexus or Toyota) & they do fantastic work! :) Let me know & if your close, I might be able to hook you up! B)

:cheers:

go to Midas, Speedy or Meineke and get their opinion.  Check out a Toyota shop too.

steviej

I agree, shop around & get second & third opinions. I noticed aq you are in the Toronto area......where abouts (east end, west end, downtown)? :unsure: I have a couple of independent mechanics I deal with that charge much less for labour than any of the dealers (Lexus or Toyota) & they do fantastic work! :) Let me know & if your close, I might be able to hook you up! B)

I am beside Wonderland...but heck I will drive anywhere if I can save a few bucks.-gas. :D

I am beside Wonderland...but heck I will drive anywhere if I can save a few bucks.-gas. :D

Both my mechanics are located in mid-scarborough (one my Dad's been dealing with for 38 years now & they do fantastic work). If your intrested in coming that distance (about 25 - 30 mins I'm guessing) let me know & I will PM you their names, addresses & phone numbers. ;)

$1500, $600 for aftermarket? I'm ignorant of how that translates to U.S. prices.

collegeguy,

It depends on Cdn exchange rate, but figure at least one third more for Cdn. Example is US$1000. equals Cdn$1500. But you never know if it's just the exchange rate that's operating.

oddly enough, one of the least expensive countries in the world to buy a car is Canada.

collegeguy,

It depends on Cdn exchange rate, but figure at least one third more for Cdn. Example is US$1000. equals Cdn$1500. But you never know if it's just the exchange rate that's operating.

oddly enough, one of the least expensive countries in the world to buy a car is Canada.

This is true for the most part. It depends on the vehicle.......most import brands are very close (within 1 - 2% with the exchange rate already factored in). B)

The reason the post 95 cars are so expensive are because they use a flex pipe made together with the cat .

That is what the difference in price is from.

I would modify the damn thing and get a 94 pipe which is cheaper and flange the old cat.

Easy as hell for a good muffler shop.

The reason the post 95 cars are so expensive are because they use a flex pipe made together with the cat .

That is what the difference in price is from.

I would modify the damn thing and get a 94 pipe which is cheaper and flange the old cat.

Easy as hell for a good muffler shop.

I see, that explains why you got it for so cheap ($250). Anyhow, I was thinking like you and asked a Midas guy if he can just flange and weld but he said, it looked too old so I bit the bullet $900. Total Lexus spending this week is including bumper and fender $CAD3400. :(

Hi, I;ve got an 96 ES300 with 220km and I noticed a rumbling and since it wan;t my stomach, I put the car up on the hoist and found the noise and air leaking from the exhaust system.  It came from a flex hose right after the two exhaust manifolds meet with a Y (right under the engine).

javascript:emoticon(':censored:') and they said I have to buy the whole unit 1500 can $ and 600 for a aftermarket piece.  The whole unit is basically all the pipes in the front end of the car I assume.

Thanks

Hi, I;ve got an 96 ES300 with 220km and I noticed a rumbling and since it wan;t my stomach, I put the car up on the hoist and found the noise and air leaking from the exhaust system.  It came from a flex hose right after the two exhaust manifolds meet with a Y (right under the engine).

javascript:emoticon(':censored:') and they said I have to buy the whole unit 1500 can $ and 600 for a aftermarket piece.  The whole unit is basically all the pipes in the front end of the car I assume.

Thanks

Go to import-exhaust-warehouse.com if you want to fix it yourself..you can probably buy all the parts from the header pipe to the rear exhauast for less then 500.

Good Luck