Passenger Floor Is Wet

Travieso~13

On Saturday while i was installing my aftermarket radio, i noticed something strange. The Whole floor in the front passenger side was wet, i mean i would press on it and it was soaked!!!!!! What i am i supposed to do? Did they sell me a lemon ? Im still paying it($295/month) the dealer only gave me 30warranty, also my PS seems to be troubling. The water I think this might be a radiator hose or heater or something like that. What can i do? Any suggestions? How bad is my problem? Its a small dealler so I cant just walk in there and say the car doesnt work, what are my options since im still paying it.

Thanks Guys,

Steve

is it water? condensation?

smell it and see........did it just recently rain where you are? sure the windows were up?

Agree with Silver..........

Does it smell like coolant? The heater core could be leaking.........check your reservoir levels and radiator.

How long have you had the car?

Thanks guys!

I've had the car for about 2months this week. When i turn on the AC its smells humid in the mornings, no it hasnt rained, light drizzel, i live in Southern Cali. When i opened the car door on Sat morning i got the humid smell as well. My dad told me it might be the heater. How would i check if its leaking? The radiator level seems to be fine. Any other suggestions? Does the hose run under the carpet?

Is there anything I can do in regards to the dealer?

Thanks again guys!

Steve

You should check to see that the evaporator condensation drain hose isn't blocked or somehow preventing the draining of the water to the outside of the cabin. If you run the a/c on a hot, humid day, I'll bet that you aren't seeing a puddle of water on the passenger side of the car, near the firewall where the drain is. If not, your condensate is draining into the cabin instead of outside.

You should check to see that the evaporator condensation drain hose isn't blocked or somehow preventing the draining of the water to the outside of the cabin. If you run the a/c on a hot, humid day, I'll bet that you aren't seeing a puddle of water on the passenger side of the car, near the firewall where the drain is. If not, your condensate is draining into the cabin instead of outside.

Curt,

Does this mean you just have to push a wire up the drain hose to dislodge any crud in their.........or more drastic measures??

If there's no smell (it's just water), then I agee with this good advice. Have had it happen several times to me, although not with a Lexus.

You've got to find out what it is before we can advise you. My hunch is its the heater core not uncommon on older LS 400s.

As for the dealer, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Used cars, especially cars this old, are almost always sold on an "as-is" basis, a 30 day warranty which you had in this case (and which has elapsed) was actually pretty rare. I mean, it doesn't hurt to ask but the dealer has no obligation to help you in any way. A 13 year old car can't be a lemon, on cars that age a certain failure rate for components like the heater core and P/S pump is to be expected, Lexus or not. Sometimes these things can be seen and repaired before sale, but sometimes not.

Trust me, if it was coolant, you wouldn’t be able to sit in the car for long. Had my heater go out on a ford I owned, and trust me, you CAN tell easily when its coolant!

I’m pretty sure it’s either condenser, or just a loose hose under your glove box. Don’t panic, most likely it’s a small issue. Moreover no, it’s not a lemon. Relax.

Check careful using your nose (or someone else's if you know someone with a good sniffer) and see if it is coolant or just water. If it is coolant, it is the heater core, if it is just water, it probably is the A/C condensation pan is draining insdie the car. This could be caused my the drain line clogged, cracked, or broken. You might as well open it up and do both at the same time. The parts probably aren't that much but it takes a little figuring out how to get to it. I knew one guy who about flipped out one time trying to change a heater core on a VW Jetta. Lotta yelling and bad language.

Last possiblity that I can think of is a windshield leak. Has it ever been replaced?

:D Good news For Y ou

A lexus can't be a Lemon!

You just have a hose or common problem that you can expect on a 13 year old anything car. One question, how about the timing belt? Has IT been changed and, with it, has the water pump been checked? I am concerned that corrosion in the water/heater system may be in othr areas too!

Be sure you have a GOOD mechanic, who knows Toyota/Lexus products look over EVERYTHING for you. I think It would be worth the few dollars a good mechainc would charge to check things out for you.

I, after buying a used anything, would sure want to know as much as possible about the vehicle Things that may seem ok now may be going "downhill" and you would want to take action before anything worse happens.

Hope the temporary water thing is just a hose or maybe a heater core leak.

Good Luck to you and welcome to the Lexus world - you have a super car, just ask anyone on this website.

Ron Johnson

90 LS400 with 86K

Thanks again for the helpfull info. What My dad did was just cancell out the heater for know. I do live in the San Fernando Valley(SO CAL), so i dont really have use of that heater. Im planning on changing the timeing belt soon and spark plugs w/wires. If i do take it to the mechanic i do trust the one i will take it to. Other than that it seems ok, except for the normal wear and tear.

Also next will probably be my PS Pump, i think its also going downhill, but i wana catch it before it falls

Thanks Guys,

Steve

• 9 years later...

For some reason, this forum IDENTIFIES a " A/C Condensate Drain Clog"'

But

You can search 20 entries and NOT find the Solution for FIXing it !!!

Hear it is on YouTube.. Plain, Simple, Clear and Cheap