60k Mile Service ('96 Es300) New Timing Belt Or No

jterp

Hey all -- a buddy of mine is looking at a '96 ES300 with 81k miles. The car was serviced by a dealer until about 68k miles --

We are trying to determine if the timing belt has been changed or not -- I know for a fact that the car had a 60k mile maintenance and service done by the dealer to the tune of $865 --- would the timing belt have been done during this???

Thanks!!!

If the car was serviced by a Lexus dealer all they have to do is put in the VIN number of this car and it'll bring up the complete service history done by them or any other Lexus dealers. ;)

since its 83 k i would not worry about it, especially since its non-interference engine, mine is 97 with 126k and I dont even think about tbelt, also friend got 155k on his 99 and he did not change his ( which I think is fairly ricky) but his is INTERFERENCE, 96 and 97 is not, also you almost never hear of a toyota belt snapping, but if you like to change stuff and spend $ go for it, or also try what Alan suggested . Also mechanics usually can tell if tbelt was changed or not by just looking at cover, they can see some how if it was ever taken off or not

good luck

90K is the first recommended Tbelt change...my Lexus dealer quoted me approx. $1500 for 90K service with TBelt and water pump swaps...

A nice service advisor will run the VIN for you and let you see everything any Lexus dealer in the country has done to the car...

90K is the first recommended Tbelt change...my Lexus dealer quoted me approx. $1500 for 90K service with TBelt and water pump swaps...

A nice service advisor will run the VIN for you and let you see everything any Lexus dealer in the country has done to the car...

Thanks guys - I was given some bad information (was told it was supposed to be changed at 60k). :D

The cd manual I have, which seems to be derived from the factory manual, does not come out and say when to change the timing belt. But it does say that if you're driving the car like a cabbie -- ie: heavy duty -- change it at 60,000. But then after that, for normal driving it just says to check it every 30k or so, never says replace it.

I just changed mine (96 es300 with 90k miles) and frankly, the timing belt looked in very good condition. I'm sure it could have gone another 30k no problem, probably more.

You can usually tell if it has been changed because they will put a sticker on the timing belt cover (there's even a place for it) with the mileage when changed. Ours didn't have a sticker, so I called the dealer that serviced the car before and he confirmed that as far as he knew it hadn't been changed.

The main reason I changed ours is because I don't know anything about who owned the car before. They kept it pretty clean cosmetically, but didn't do things like change tranny fluid, so I really wanted to get everything mechanically "serviced."

Good luck,

Fred