Window Tint Scratches

devergilio

I just recently purchased a 2001 RX300 from a non-lexus dealer and when we got it home my wife and I noticed that the rear driver side window had major scratches on the factory tint where the window sticker was. My thought is that the dealer scrathed it when removing the sticker before we picked it up. Has anyone ever heard of scratches like this and if so can Lexus re-tint it or does a whole new window need to be put in. Also would this by any chance be covered under the factory warranty? Any information anyone has to enlighten me whould be great. Thanks.

I have the same problem with my rear passanger window, they used a dull razor blade to remove the sales sticker. I had the front windows tinted and the salesmen told me that the window it self is scratched, not the tint, thus, not repairable. If you read in the manual it says to wash them with any type of cleaner, with ammonia. This is not usually not possible with normal tint, since it would remove the tint. This is only what I was told.

It's intresting that someone at the dealer would be so careless when removing the window sticker to cause that kind of damage to a Lexus no less! I use to be a car jockey & worked for several dealers in the PDI departments. I had to remove the stickers on all the brand new sold units & never made a mark on any new vehicle from a Neon right up to a STS! it's a shame as it's so easy to take off the stickers with the proper tools.....it's a shame & something you should look into to get the dealer to pay for the window replacement. B)

:cheers:

Tell me about it! To be honest I didn't call the dealership where I bought it to tell them the situation because I know I will be told that they didn't do it, plus we didn't notice it until a few days later and thought it was just glue until I tried to get it off and realized it was scratched. I just found out yesterday from my Lexus dealership that the marks are actually scratches in the glass and it is not covered under warranty. It will cost $215 for a new window plus labor. I agree, I don't understand how a car dealership could be so careless, no matter what kind of car you're buying from them!!

A detail or body shop might be able to polish the scratches out if they're not too deep.

The stock tint on most cars is not a film like traditional aftermarket tinting, its actually tinted between the two layers of glass. So the tin't can't be removed and replaced. If they can't polish it out then the glass will have to be replaced.