Brakes

92Lex

Im planning on changing my brake pads tomorrow and was wondering, will my brakes will squeak if I reuse the old shims? Whats the purpose of the shims anyways? Any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.

If the shims are in good shape they can be cleaned and re-greased. If they have a lot of rust, or they have holes rusted in them they should be replaced. I think the price is around $25 an axle from the dealer. If they are in good shape, and a coat of brake lube is put on them you are almost assured of no squeaks, if they are in bad shape, or no lube is used you are almost assured of having squeaks. If replacement is needed, they are worth the monwy.

post-4-1093436722.jpg

yeah 4 outta 5 times u can reuse your old shims

like lcothe said as long as they aren't rusted through you'll be fine ;)

when i did my brakes i got a st eel brush and some brake cleaner, and cleaned the old shims up really nice....afterthat i applied a nice coat of grease on them...........so far so good.

NAPA pads come with new shims.

Grease, GREASE.....!!

NEVER put grease on your brake pads or the backing shims. You can buy a specially formulated rubber-like material to coat them with.

NEVER put grease on your brake pads or the backing shims. You can buy a specially formulated rubber-like material to coat them with.

thanks for clarifing.......i meant brake grease that u can buy (common sense)

.......they will usually give u a little packet to use when u buy the pads.. (i used caliper grease) and not on the pads itself :blink:....... on the backing plate inside and out.

and use it liberally

I bought a can of Brake Stop Squeak, so I should just spray this on the inside part where the 2 shims meet? Am I on the right track? The front pads that I purchased this morning came with 1 shim per pad....is it best that I just use these new shims provided? Any difference between Lexus shims and aftermarket shims? Thanks for the feedback.

I bought a can of Brake Stop Squeak, so I should just spray this on the inside part where the 2 shims meet? Am I on the right track? The front pads that I purchased this morning came with 1 shim per pad....is it best that I just use these new shims provided? Any difference between Lexus shims and aftermarket shims? Thanks for the feedback.

is it an aerosol spray??

the best thing to use is just the brake lube, its think, and very durable to high heat....they should have given u a tiny packet of it,,,,its enough to do both sides.

yes, use the new shims

i don't know if there is any difference in the shims.............i mean ur old shims are 12 years old i suspect. thats the only difference i would imagine

is it an aerosol spray??

the best thing to use is just the brake lube, its think, and very durable to high heat....they should have given u a tiny packet of it,,,,its enough to do both sides.

yes, use the new shims

i don't know if there is any difference in the shims.............i mean ur old shims are 12 years old i suspect. thats the only difference i would imagine

Yes, its an aerosol spray can, I did a sample spray on some cardboard....it comes out red and dries a little tacky. But yeah, it does make sense to use the new shims...never really thought about them being 12 years old. Problem is they only supplied me with shims for the front pads, the rear pads didnt come with any. Thanks.

I just got creamic. I have the 1990 with the weak brakes before the redesign in 93. The creamic do not fade like the others and do not produce the amount of brake dust. I was told that they handle heat better and will perform better. With the amount of cleaning I need to do to the wheels I think the brake dust difference sold me alone.

You probably want to buy the brake pads that provide the most stopping power, even if that means replacing the rotors more often.

Rotors are a lot cheaper than tombstones.

Unless you often travel down a mountainside I wouldn't worry too much about brake fade with an LS.

Finished working on my brakes earlier....it was real easy and straight foward..flushed the brake fluid while I was at it too. Took it for a test spin and everything seems real smooth and no more squeaks either. Thanks.