Aftermarket Wheels

Hello Everyone,

Basically, I need some good advice from someone who has experience in adding aftermarket wheels to a new model ES330 / ES300. I have a 2004 ES330 and I am considering adding some nice wheels. I will most likely be ordering them online and have a local tire shop mount and install them, since I have yet to find a style I like from local stores. So what I am really concerned about is getting the nicest looking rims and tires, (dimensions wise), that have total clearance, with no modifications whatsoever, no effects on breaking and without sacrificing the smooth ride or performance of the stock 16” wheels. This is important because I don't want to have to deal with sending them back, paying for shipping, etc. It is my past experience that an online wheel dealer will tell you anything will fit to get you to buy their wheels, only to find out they don't fit perfectly, then you have to send them back, at a big cost for shipping and handling.

I really don’t know what size rims and tires would look the best on my car, (20"x8", 19"x8", 19"x7.5", etc.), and I really don’t see a lot of 330’s or late model 300's on the street with aftermarket wheels, in order to get some ideas of what looks best. My dealer said 19”x8" rims are the biggest size that I can go with, without sacrificing on the smooth ride and handling. Others tell me that I can install 20”x8.5" rims, but I don’t know about that one. That seems pretty big.

If anyone has any wheel and appropriate tire size suggestions for my car, please let me know. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much.

"rims 18 X 7 with a 40 mm offset is the biggest you seem to be able to go with no rubbing front or back without modifying the sheet metal to flare out,which is pretty much impossible in the rear.I can hardly fit a few pieces o paper between my fender and the tires with a 1 inch Eibach drop lots of people have tried many other kinds but they do rub ,some less than others."

taken from http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=1618&

I've got 18x8's with a 235 tire. There is no rubbing at all, even on bumps when no one is in the backseat. Add at least one adult and it rubs when I hit the long gradual bumps (not pothole bumps). I suspect a 225 would rub less.

There were no modifications of my fenders or wells.

My tire guy said he could go 20's but I would be a fool due to NE winters. Anything greater than an 18 will severly limit your sidewall width if you want to stay within plus sizing. If not, you will sacrifice speedometer accuracy.

steviej

I've got 18x8's with a 235 tire. There is no rubbing at all, even on bumps when no one is in the backseat. Add at least one adult and it rubs when I hit the long gradual bumps (not pothole bumps). I suspect a 225 would rub less.

Stevie,

Do you have picture of your rims. I'm decising between a 17" and 18" rim but feel that the 18" might have too little sidewall. so yours would be 235/40

The widest I'll most likely go is 225. So it would come out to 225/50 17 or 225/45 18 whichever rim size I end up with.

Thanks.

Hil

I installed 17" Helo Tease in chrome with 215/50r17 Dunlop A2's. The speedometer was off just a bit, and the ride wasn't that great. I then switched to 225/55r17 Goodyear Comfortreds and the ride was outstanding. The only problem I ran into is my car now drifts to the left and the tire shop and dealer is stumpped.

After realignment, multiple pressure checks, wheel balances, and rotations, the car still drifts.

Anyways, 17" wheels in H speed rating makes the ride a lot smoother, but a difference in performance is obvious. 18" wheels will likey give you a more firm ride, but that can be adjusted by speed rating changes. Just make sure you buy from a shop that will back up your application.

As of today, my car is now riding on stock wheels with new Michelin MXV4's.

How's your alignment? Do you experience any drift with your wheels?

me personally?.......i'm totally warped. :wacko::blink:

just kidding.

My car runs straight as the line down the middle of the road with the 18s and with the stock 16s. Both sets of tires are balanced and are wearing evenly. So I would have to say my Lex is balanced and aligned.

steviej

I don't think the problem with stevies rubbing is from the tire width but boils down to the wrong offset ,it looks too negative for the application

it looks like a +30-35mm rather than a +40-45mm offset pushing the rubber to the outer lip of the car

• 1 month later...

What do you have to do to go with 20's on an ES 300. I'm trying but the back tires rub

I've got 18x8's with a 235 tire.  There is no rubbing at all, even on bumps when no one is in the backseat.  Add at least one adult and it rubs when I hit the long gradual bumps  (not pothole bumps).  I suspect a 225 would rub less.

There were no modifications of my fenders or wells.

My tire guy said he could go 20's but I would be a fool due to NE winters.  Anything greater than an 18 will severly limit your sidewall width if you want to stay within plus sizing.  If not, you will sacrifice speedometer accuracy.

steviej