Transmission Fluid Check

92Lex

This is my first Lexus and theres no owners manual so I cant figure out if I should check the transmission fluid with the engine running or off? Ive had a few cars where it stated that tranny fluid be checked with the engine on and at normal operating temperature, also had a couple of cars that required normal operating temperatures to be achieved then followed by a key off to check tranny fluid level. I own a 92 LS400 now...any 92 owners that happen to have an owners manual laying around?

For a New owners Manual , contact Lexus. They'll be happy to send you one, w/o a fee attached. Tell them you just bought it without an ownermanual, and would also like to update ownership. They'll send you one.

Engine Tranny oil should be checked when it is cold. Operating temp changes based upon driving conditions. running temp is between 110-160F. This is based upon a cool dry day, but should be at 180 on extremely warm days. Is there a reason why you want to know the operating temp.?

oh, i wasnt really asking about what the normal operating temperature is suppose to be but should i be checking the fluid level with engine on or off? i did a tranny pan drain a week ago and got 3 quarts out so i added 3 quarts back in...initially i added only 2 quarts but with the engine on and at normal operating temperature it didnt seem to be sufficient...so i slowly added more until the fluid was at the hot part on the dipstick...(ended up adding another full quart). everyone says only add 2 quarts to a pan drain but it didnt seem to be enough...so im kinda unsure if im over or not..just worrying a little because i dont want anything to go wrong. thanks.

You should check it after a 10 mile run or longer....

After stopping on level ground, rund the gear shift back to Low, then up to Park.

Keep engine in Park and idling,

Pull stick and wipe, then check again.

You're are correct about th 2 quart / 3 quart deal.........it's a little tricky!!!

• Like 1

yeah, but its hard as hell getting to that bolt without having the front up on ramps. has anyone done their tranny pan drain on ramps? similar results?

92lex,

Yes, I use the low angle Rhino ramps to get under there. I actually changed it once without using the ramps. Long reach and used the torque wrench to make it, so it can be done....

That's why you should always put 3/4 quart LESS back in to start with. You need to creep up on the full mark. Just let it touch the lower COLD end to start, then drive around and let it expand .........then check again and you'll know how you stand. Lexus dealers usually overfill it, so start out by adding back LESS first - then sneak up on it........