Thinking About Buying 2001 Es300

Hello,

I am thinking about purchasing a 2001 ES-300 with 25k miles. Silver exterior/ Black interior. I'm going to sell my 1999 Acura 3.2TL.

Anyways, I was 100% sure about this decision but based on my research and readings I am a little bit concerned.

Mainly, it's got to do with the Engine Sludge issue.

I've read the VERY long thread somewhere in here but it's pretty much inconclusive other than to say that the oil needs to changed every 3k~5k. Ok, that's normal b/c I already do that with my cars.

Is this very real? Or is it a simple matter of people with this issue posting so it seems like a lot of people are affected in comparision to the actual number of ES300's out there?

The particular car I am looking at was a leased vehicle. 25k miles. Mint condition. I will test drive tomorrow. According to the dealer, they have maintenance records. Did a 110 point inspection. (I know...that's what they always tell you!)

I'm getting rid of my TL out of concern that it has 75k miles and prone to transmission issues, but I don't want to be trading one problem for another.

So I want to know what kinds of things to look out for when test drivng this baby. I'm not car saavy so...noise, smell, smoke, vibrations, gear shift, open up the hood and check out what? Anything would help out?

I've always loved this car. Now I want to get one for myself.

Sometimes I hate the internet...too much information...and now I'm left to wonder about this sludge problem.

I wonder if my Acura has the same issue...

Thanks!

Nick N.

Regarding the oil sludge problem, just make sure that the past oil changes from the maintenance records have been really kept up to date (that is, the ES was never overdue for an oil change). You can also open up the hood and check the cleanliness of the engine and for any remnants of past oil sludge. As you already noted, the sludge problem notorious on the ES sedan is the result of people not keeping up with the oil changes.

Other than that, I think the '01 ES is an excellent purchase, esp. with low miles like the one you're looking at. What's the selling price? If you have any other questions or have come up with other finds on the ES, let us know :)

I ended up going to a Lexus dealer and bought one.

2001 ES-300 White Exterior, Beige Interior. Chrome Wheels, Wood steering wheel, leather seats, etc. 22k miles, Certified Pre-Owned (CPO), original asking price was $26500 which I though was way high.

So I haggled down to $24k but let me tell you the story.

The dealer offered to sell for $23k without the CPO. I was thinking how do you sell a CPO car without a CPO? What? You uninstall it just like a windows program???

He made it sound like they were going to have it go through the CPO process if I bought it at $26.5 or have it go through a "regular" inspection at $23k. At $26.5k they would give me the usual 3year/100k warranty. At $23k it's pretty much as-is.

I saw one yesterday...silver one...had 17k miles and it went for $22.5k but the interior was dirty. I changed my mind about the color, both inside and out.

I went into the dealer's office and they offered me a $24k with CPO package. I went for it. I figure the extra 3 year/100k warranty is a good thing to have.

I'm still left to wonder how he can just add the CPO...I was under the impression that CPO process happens before it makes it to the battle lines at the dealer...not something that happens afterwards. But then again who's to know if they actually do anything anyways.

Because the car is now a CPO, they also offered 3.9% financing which was better than the 5.05% I was already armed with. So that worked out.

Plus this car has shiny chrome Lexus wheels. That's worth like $2k when new so I thought that was pretty good. They are also going to get rid of the minor scratches here and there and repaint the bumper(s) if needed. There was a very small ding (dime sized) that I pointed out and he said he'll see what they can do for me.

It's a beauty...pearl white...the inside is real nice and clean. Not a lease car but a privately owned one. Carfax is clean.

Car runs great. Smooth...

So you see, I had no choice!

I asked them to put on new tires and they didn't go for that. Also I told them to round down the amount to the nearest thousand($227) and they didn't.

Ah well...had to try!

Anyways, supposed to pick it up Thursday.

After I do, what do you guys recommend me doing as far as maintenance is concerned?

Thanks

Nick N.

First thing i would do is fill the tank and go cruise the beach.

see if you can locate maintenance records (either paperwork or Lexus Computer) and do the 15k service if it was missed. Find out when the last oil change was. If the car is as immaculate as you say then i would assume the owner was as meticulous with the maint.

Welcome to the club, sit back and enjoy your ride. Watch for any upcoming Lexus meets in the Northeast, you have to show it off.

steviej

hehe, grats man. Sounds like you ended up with a good deal on a very nice car. The salesman trying to take away the CPO thing is just weird. I also thought that it was done before hand etc. Im still in the market for a new (new to me) ES300 so its only a matter of time before I can brag about my own :P

I called up Corporate Lexus on that one and they said it sounded normal. Dealers have the ability to "Promote" a vehicle to CPO is they see fit. They will run it through their CPO process and address any issues if neccessary.

Still, it seems wierd that they have it advertised as CPO. That would give you the impression that the car was ALREADY checked, but apparenlty not the case!

The guy also threw in 3.9% financing with that CPO vehicle, which I took.

I guess that's water under the bridge at this point since I am picking it up on Thursday.

I made a stupid mistake...I didn't check to see if the car had service records. Good thing it only has 22k miles, but I will ask them.

Plus, I wonder how far they will go with touching up the chips, 1 ding, etc. The manager said "I tell the guys to take care of this and that, and they take care of it. End of story. As to how they will do that, I'm a salesman, not a body person...but we'll take care of it. We will make it 95% new.

We'll see about that!!!

If it's not in writting at the time of purchase, you can usually forget it. They just want to make a sale.

As for the CPO thing, its just another way to make more money off used sales. I would suggest to most people not getting it unless it's a ford or chrysler product.

Just remember you have seven days to take it back by law (depending on your state) if you run into any problems, and you can remind the dealer of that as well.

For the dings, you can have them fixed by a mobile dent repair company for around $30 per dent. The little dings, you can do yourself with factory touch-up paint from the parts counter or body shop. Probably wouldn't hurt to have it looked at (free) by the body shop to ensure a wreck-free car. (piece of mind).

nicksan, I don't understand. On the one hand you say you are very concerned about the sludge issue and yet you apparently bought this car anyway without first reviewing the service records to make sure the car never was driven more than 7000 miles without an oil change.

I guess sometimes when you see something you like, you cannot resist the temptations.

I've wanted a ES300 for like 7 years, during which I went through a Maxima, Civic, and a TL. Finally I get to have this baby.

The car has 22k miles.

I was under the impression that the CPO process requires that the car have good maintenance records, etc...so I kind of trusted them. Maybe that was bad judgement on my part. The car is in great condition and was privately owned by someone in CT. That showed me that the person cared for the car greatly and assumed that maintenance would have been done...again bad judgement to assume.

I ended up haggling the price down a few grand and getting the CPO, along with better financing anyways...and it has Chrome Wheels so I thought this was the one.

But you are right, I should teach myself to fight intuition and actually do some real analysis.

Thanks for pointing that out...

Nick

I guess I was naive in thinking I can trust the Lexus dealer. The sales people need to make a living also and some of them will do anything I guess...

That said, I guess I can point out the maintenance records and ask them to check everything related to oil sludge...

Can't wait to get my hands on this car!

nicksan, congratulations on your purchase of an 01 ES300. Like you I am a new proud owner of an 01 ES300 Coach Edition, Oyster Pearl ext. with Beige int. I got mine through a private party (1 owner) and I did ask about receiving the service records as I, too, had some concerns about the sludge issue. But everyone I've spoken to has said the same thing, mainly to be sure the oil has been changed at the proper service intervals. Fortunately, the previous owner of mine did all the service through his Lexus dealer.

I also bought the car outside the state of California and drove it here. Just to update a previous post I made, the car passed California SMOG with flying colors. I have been driving it for several weeks. Everything is silky smooth and flawless. The nicest and best car I have ever purchased used. Good luck and enoy your new purchase.

norcallexus

2001 ES300, Coach Edition