Lexus Help Website / Ls400 Problems

Smooth Ride

HI, I'm new to the forum and doing some research before I buy. I'm pretty well set on a 2000 LS400, but I have a few questions first. And yes, I searched :)

Am I crazy, or did I one time run across some type of Lexus help website with TSB, maintenence schedules, classified and such.

Secondly, while looking to purchase the LS400, are there any known trouble spots I should be looking for in the terms of problems IE: warped rotors, bad dash lights, bad shocks.

Thirdly, since I will be looking for a 50k to 60k mile car, what about the 60k service and cost, and is it something I can do muself. (I have previusly changed the timing belt and front seals on my 89 Cressida)

Fourth, How many miles do the stock shocks last and has anyone tried the Bilstein HD shocks and what did they do to the ride, I don't like a "floaty" ride, I don't mind a firm ride.

This is a great site and thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

If you like a firm ride I think you're looking at the wrong car. The LS is designed to be the smoothest and quietest riding car on the road. You may be better off to look into a GS400 or GS430 instead, more mods to do to the suspension, and sportier in feel.

SWO3ES,

I have driven the GS and the LS, for what I want the GS was bordering on hard. When I said firm, I guess I ment slightly firmer than the stock ride. I would think about replacing the struts if neccessary, but I don't know generally how long they last (50K miles, 100k???). I do not want to go as hard as the GS ride.

thanks for you response

Bruce

Did the GS you drove have the 17 inch wheels? The GS doesn't at all ride hard, it just rides slightly firmer. At 60k the struts are going to be worn, replacement shouldn't be totally neccisary but it won't hurt.

my 94 LS with 167k miles has never had any suspension parts replaced. every suspension part seems perfect in every way, but i like the 'floaty' ride. i'm pretty sure that many other members with older LS's and more miles than me also have the original shocks. i dont think the question is 'how long do they last?' but 'how long will they last before the shocks get too soft for your liking.'

Maybe I should clarify a little, firm and controlled is to me how a new Lexus rides, "floaty" is one with worn shocks, more like an older Caddillac might ride, you know the old "Detroit Float" where you see the car bounce several times after a bump. Here's an example that really shows what a floaty ride can do.

One day while driving down the highway, coming around a very slight bend that crosses a bridge, a mid 90's Lincoln town car was in front of me. As we crossed the bridge, the combo of poor driving and too soft of a suspension started an oscillation that started a fishtail for his car. After about 4 swings of his rear end (at 80-mph), his trunk smashed into the median, he shot across 4 lanes of highway, spliting right between 2 cars, went through a ditch and on to the other side of the road, he blew out his rear tires and his trunk flew open and his sub flew out. WOW. I was right behind him and saw the whole thing coming, now THAT'S a good reason to replace worn shocks.

Bruce

Hi Smoothride, IMO I would have the dealer take care of the 60k service, if it has not been done to you one you buy. As far as the struts are concerned, if you want it a little bit stiffer than the factory go with KYB's.

Let us know what you buy and post some pics of it. B)

I gotcha! So if you're looking for the new Lexus ride I'd stay with the OEM struts. I know what you mean, the Lexus rides smooth but not floaty like a Lincoln or Cadillac.

By 60k I don't think the shocks would have worn that much to produce that different a ride...

• 6 years later...

I have a 93 Lexus SC400. While driving, car running perfect, I came off an on ramp and went to accelerate to highway speed and felt a very sudden loss of power. I can feel car not running on all cylinders. Let car sit over night. The next day I tried running the car and the motor does runs smooth, without any rough shaking, but when I rev the motor, I can here that it sounds like a six cylinder and no power off the line. Ran car for a bit and noticed both Cat Converters glowing bright orange. I don't think both would go at the same time but what could it be that would make the vehicle go from running mint to that, in a few seconds? I aways have my oil changes done at 3000 mi. and I only run Hess Premium grade fuel. Please help. It's my only vehicle.

It would have been better for you to start a new thread in the SC 400/300 section of the forum rather than to add your question to a thread from over six years ago in the LS400 forum section.

To answer your question, any number of problems could cause your car to suddenly run poorly. Check for stored problem codes using a code reader. People on forums have said that chain auto repair stores will read codes for you. Once you know what error codes are stored, the problem can be attached in a logical way and repaired at the lowest cost.