Check Engine

Travieso~13

W-sup again to all you peoples. I know this question might have been asked a lot already and sorry for my ignorance, i just cant seem to find wut im looking for.

How do i get the error code thats making my check engine light turn on, i really dont wanna take it to the shop until i know, maybe i can fix it myself, i jst got my Lexo(1st one) and i jst wana know how to get that code.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the dull question.

1UZ-FE~~To this moment not yet, reason; i took my car to the shop friday afternoon so they could fix the Speedometer, it wasnt working, so i havent been able to check that "check engine" out, i should be gettin the Lexo back today.

Thanks

96 & later are OBD2 systems
-from the website

That's wrong info! Both of my Lexi are OBDII, and they are 1994(ES) and 1995(LS). 1996 was when the vast majority of cars started using OBDII codes, but Lexus stays ahead in the game. B)

-from the website

That's wrong info! Both of my Lexi are OBDII, and they are 1994(ES) and 1995(LS). 1996 was when the vast majority of cars started using OBDII codes, but Lexus stays ahead in the game. B)

The website is wrong when it says 1996 was the first year for OBDII codes. Both of my Lexi that are older than 1996 utilize the OBDII system. I never said OBDI doesn't exist!! :lol::lol:

-from the website

The website is wrong when it says 1996 was the first year for OBDII codes. Both of my Lexi that are older than 1996 utilize the OBDII system. I never said OBDI doesn't exist!! :lol::lol:

how do you figure that ur cars are OBDII?

I got my car back yesterday, they changed the speed sensor so i can see how fast i'm going now, but now the air bag light came on. The check engine light is still on as well, wher can i get those jumper wires? Autozone?Kragen? I suppose they are small maybe in the electrical section of those stores?

Thanks!

I got my car back yesterday, they changed the speed sensor so i can see how fast i'm going now, but now the air bag light came on. The check engine light is still on as well, wher can i get those jumper wires? Autozone?Kragen? I suppose they are small maybe in the electrical section of those stores?

*go to your office and grab a paper clip*

how do you figure that ur cars are OBDII?

1) The "OBDII" insignia on the diagnostic port cover

2) The real, hardcopy Lexus Reapir Manuals that I have for both Lexi give the complete break down of OBDII codes and probable causes

3) And best of all, I've had check engine lights on both my LS and ES that an OBDII code reader retrieved the codes that I identified in "2)"

From my knowledge, OBDII for our Lexus Cars started for the 1995 model year. It started the same month the chassis changed on the LS400.

Blake:

Can you tell me the Manufactured Date: Month and Year for your ES300 from your Door Panel?

Travieso~13:

Did you get your Speed sensor repair done through the Dealer or some other shop. It is possible the same shop can fix your Air Bag problem, if you take it back. If not, you're going to have to tell me what the shop told you about the Light coming on.

never saw an OBDII car that was made in 94.

Here ya go...now you can say that you've seen a '94 that's OBDII!! :lol::lol: I'm a stand up comic on the weekends, btw! lol

DSC00054.sized.jpg[

I'll mail you the title and keys(to both Lexi!!!!!!) tomorrow if it's not! :lol: Sheesh, I didn't think this was such a complicated thing! :wacko: I guess I'll have to get sk in here to verify this for you. lol

UCF3, my ES was made in 5/94. Why??

coz OBD II was implemented on 95 and up cars, even when i pass inspection they ask if car 95 and up, then they just connect to the OBDII connector and thats it.i know that lexus cars b4 95 has connector that looks like OBDII but its not. may b this is ur case. my friend has a connector on the engine on his 94 LS that looks exactly like mine and it even says diagnostics, but its not OBDII

coz OBD II was implemented on 95 and up cars, even when i pass inspection they ask if car 95 and up, then they just connect to the OBDII connector and thats it.i know that lexus cars b4 95 has connector that looks like OBDII but its not. may b this is ur case. my friend has a connector on the engine on his 94 LS that looks exactly like mine and it even says diagnostics, but its not OBDII

THANK YOU VMF!!!

i knew i wasn't totally stupid when i quoted the website.

Blake: it can't be!! take a pic of this "OBDII" insignia on the diagnostic port cover? is there any other way that you can "prove" your car is OBDII?

I give up on you people. I've PM'ed SKperformance, so hopefully, he'll respond soon. You are all wrong; the '94 ES is OBDII. AutoZone has read the codes for me on their OBDII code reader. I know it's OBDII, and I'm sorry you guys don't believe me. :( AutoZone doesn't read OBDI. I don't know what more I can say. Maybe someone with "management team" under his avator is more credible than me. The ES got a new engine in '94-the 1MZ-FE-3.0 V6 that went out of production in '03. It was the new engine that they planned to keep for a while, so they planned ahead.

VMF you are right the obd2 and obd1 plugs look the exact same but that is where you information ends.

October 1993 was the first release date of lexus' first as well as the worlds first obd2 compliant with 1mz-fe for the 94 and up ES 300 with the death of the iron block 3vz-fe for the north american market but continued in the Asian and european ones with out emmision laws for it.

For all other cars and makers the deadline for North american compliance was release date of 97 models as well as the srs airbag system with data crash recorder.

So where is the question you guys have , and why can;t it be 1uz-?

you should have read my FAQ it is all there in black and beige . :)

Travieso~13:

Did you get your Speed sensor repair done through the Dealer or some other shop. It is possible the same shop can fix your Air Bag problem, if you take it back. If not, you're going to have to tell me what the shop told you about the Light coming on.

It was done through another electrical shop not a Lexus dealer.The shop didnt tell me anything about the light, and i didnt realize it until i got home. Before i took it in for the speedsensor, the only light turning on was the check engine, maybe this weekend i'll take it back to him, or can you help maybe. Thanks alot for your help man.

im a smog tech and i can assure you that there are pre-1996 vehicles that comply to OBD2. OBD2 wasnt mandated until 1996 but there are a few companies that did introduce it into their vehicles before 1996. 94-95 vehicles produced by lexus would have either been obd2 or obd1...it gets confusing sometimes because ex: id smog an obd1 vehicle and a diff customer brought an identical vehicle in but it was actually obd2. obd1 cars do run better though.

Because In Late November of 1994 is when the Chassis and Engine was redesigned for the 1995 model year (LS400). That's why you have an OBDII setup. You probably have a slightly stiffer chassis as well, just like on the LS.

Good for you.:cheers:

Because In Late November of 1994 is when the Chassis and Engine was redesigned for the 1995 model year (LS400). That's why you haveK0You probably have a slightly stiffer chassis as well, just like on the LS.

Good for you.:cheers:

UCF3, I'm kinda confused about the above post(the ES got the new mechanicals for the '94 model year)...the ES300 experts here that have most likely never owned one are telling me that I haven't gotten the OBDII codes out of my 1994 ES300 not my LS(1995) which I find pretty comical. lol Before long, I'm going to have to take a pic of the title and registration to show that I do have two Lexi to show, and it's not some farce! :lol:

Outstanding, Mr. Khan! Thank you very much! :D Same to you 92Lex! :D

Blake: it can't be!! take a pic of this "OBDII" insignia on the diagnostic port cover? is there any other way that you can "prove" your car is OBDII?
Huh?? I don't need to prove anything that is blatantly factual. I know 1000% that my 1994 ES300 is OBDII compliant along with my 1995 LS400. The insignia I was referring to was on my LS that according to the website you found is also not OBDII since it's pre 1996. Lexus Repair Manual authors know which version of onboard diagnostics (OBD) their cars have, and the fact that I've been to AutoZone, received the codes, and read up on the trouble code in my Lex Repair Manual is plenty enough evidence for me, and I'm sorry that senario is not good enough for you as it seems pretty incriminating to me.

I apologize for being so rude…truly, but I’m tired of trying to prove something that is factual...factual as in = needs no proving. It's not like I win some kind of prize for having a '94 that is OBDII compliant! :lol:

:cheers:

its khan ,but no problem

glad to straighten things out

i still have a dumbass uncle who thinks he is pimp and says he has a 97 ,like i am stupid when it comes to lexus to not know a 94 which is the easiest one to recognize by dual airbags and old style lights

moron