Lexus Link

jpf5911

I just got an 01 LS430 and the one thing that I am confused about (and that the dealer even seems to be confused about) is Lexus Link.

The car came with Lexus Link which was described to me by the salesman as "like On Star". I thought it was odd that they would use a GM product to describe one of their features.

Anyway, he said it cost $200 per year to maintain it, plus I was a little annoyed by the voice when the car is started that said, "The Lexus Link system is active". So, I took it in and told the dealer to disconnect it.

NOW, it still says, "The Lexus Link system is active", but then after that a different voice says, "A Lexus Link error has been detected, please contact your Lexus dealer." I haven't called the dealer yet to see if these voices can be turned off, I thought I would check here first. But if they can't, I'm going to be very disappointed.

I don't need my car to talk to me, especially if it's going to say the same thing every time I start it, and it's something I already know.

Any input appreciated.

JPF

Perhaps GM will come up with a digital phone or satelite based version of On Star / Lexus Link and not just let it die. Retired relatives of mine who travel a lot certainly use it frequently and seem to really like it.

Here is a link to the Lexus corporate website containing information - pay attention to the footnotes - about Lexus Link: http://www.lexus.com/lexuslink/

Someone told me the short black antenna on the rear of the roof is for Lexus Link. If that service has been discontinued, what is the antenna for? Is it part of the pre-wiring for a phone? The '04 LS I test drove did not have GPS, but did have the antenna, so I assume the antenna is not for that. Could it be used for "Smat Access"?

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
lexus link was like onstar and it was discontinued because no one bought the option. just keep contacting your service advisor.

ls430

Lexus link actually isn't discontinued, I have it in my 01 and it seems to work ok; I get an answer when I press it. Every now and then I get a call failure, depending on where I am and conditions. I guess after 2008 it'll be touch and go as analog won't be required by the FCC. Perhaps they'll have a digital upgrade.

Doesn't the 04 and the 05 SC430 come with a digital version? How hard could it be to swap it out, I can't image the actual unit being any larger than a small crcuit board.

lexus link was like onstar and it was discontinued because no one bought the option. just keep contacting your service advisor.

ls430

Lexus link actually isn't discontinued, I have it in my 01 and it seems to work ok; I get an answer when I press it. Every now and then I get a call failure, depending on where I am and conditions. I guess after 2008 it'll be touch and go as analog won't be required by the FCC. Perhaps they'll have a digital upgrade.

Doesn't the 04 and the 05 SC430 come with a digital version? How hard could it be to swap it out, I can't image the actual unit being any larger than a small crcuit board.

i mean u can't purchse it anymore...but it hould still be there on cars that have it from back in the day.

i had a whole conversation about this with my dealer

They definately do not offer Lexus link as an option anymore. The service still exists for subscribers though.

It IS OnStar but Lexus was uncomfortable with the same operators answering Lexus calls as answered Oldsmobile calls so they staffed the representatives themselves.

• 1 month later...

I made a call to Lexus Link couple days ago, after an advisor help me, I also ask if lexus link will be available again in the future. She said that for now it's only available for current subscribers over analog. Lexus link is going to switch to digital later on. All current users who are using analog right now will be discontinued service after 2008. She said at that time, maybe lexus might provide some sort of upgrade to digital or some sort to subscribers who have analog system in their vehicle.

you beat me to it rl. lexus link is dead for new subs because its currently analog and furthermore the current units will not be upgraded to digital and there is a current TSB for owners to come in and have it removed/disabled. this ties the current record for the over use of the word and variants of current.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering what the odds are that Lexus might reconsider their decision. I cannot believe it would be that difficult to retrofit our cars. It's not like we're driving low-end cars. I chatted with a Cadillac salesman while driving the new STS and I believe Onstar is providing an upgrade. I'm reaching here, but I would be willing to spearhead a petition drive if I get support from the users community. I'm a gadget nut and want mine to !Removed! work! :angry:

BTW - Lexus Link is a nice service if you can get connected. I use it to place phone calls all the time!

you beat me to it rl. lexus link is dead for new subs because its currently analog and furthermore the current units will not be upgraded to digital and there is a current TSB for owners to come in and have it removed/disabled. this ties the current record for the over use of the word and variants of current.