'05 Ls430......questions.

MikeP

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the '05 models, but have not been able to find out when to expect them at the dealer, nor what changes in specs or colors. Does anyone have that information yet?

I have owned 3 Lexus in the past, a '93 SC300, a '98 GS400 and a '98 LS400. The LS was the last Lexus I owned before I "strayed" to other brands. I've now had my fill of poor service and low resale values. I've test driven several '04 LS430's and now I'm getting very impatient. My intention is to buy an '05, Mercury/Ash with the Premium Package and Smart Access.

Mike

I was told by my dealer that there will be no changes in the 05 LS430 and they discounted my new 04 car more than they would be able to discount the new year model. I think he was being straight with me.

Don't know about down south where you are but up here in NJ, the dealers start getting them in late Sept. The changes will probably not be too drastic since 04 was a new design year. Why tamper with perfection. :D

John

Thanks, John. My salesman told me he would know pricing and specs by mid to late August and the first shipments should arrive at the dealer in mid to late September.

Mike

I was told by my dealer that there will be no changes in the 05 LS430 and they discounted my new 04 car more than they would be able to discount the new year model. I think he was being straight with me.

I was told the same by my salesman, but the discount he was offering on the '04 would not compensate for the difference in value when I normally trade in 3 years. I decided to wait for the '05 models, hoping my car would not lose too much more value and I would get some discount of the LS.

The only change to the '05 models, according to my salesman, is the availability of 18" wheels without the sport package. I assume the wheel designs for both 17" and 18" will be the same, but I have no confirmation of that. I'm also hoping Lexus adds a medium metallic grey to the LS.

These 2 months of waiting are going to feel like 2 years.

Mike

I've heard that the '06 is going to be a new style & have a lager engine 4.5 - 4.7. Anyone else heard this?

2005 Lexus LS 450

Lexus is readying an all-new flagship. Our spies have seen a computer-generated rendering they say is very close to what we'll see in showrooms in late 2004. The new model will likely be powered by a 4.6-liter V8 that's an updated version of the current 4.3-liter and is said to make close to 360 hp. It will be paired to an all-new 6-speed automatic but still drive the rear wheels. Rumors are swirling that the new LS will, for the first time, have a larger optional engine--possibly an all-new V12 producing well over 400 hp. Other sources hint the optional engine will be a 5.5-liter V8 worth about 400 hp. You can expect a sport package with a semiactive suspension system and 19-in. tires to be on the options list.

I've test driven several '04 LS430's and now I'm getting very impatient. My intention is to buy an '05, Mercury/Ash with the Premium Package and Smart Access.

Mike

The Smart Access feature has spoiled me. I never want to fumble around with key fobs again. Just stick it in my pocket and forget about it. Of course, sometime i still forget my old habits and dig for my key to unlock my door. I laugh at myself then say, hey dummy, put that key away; it's all taken care of... B)

John

I've heard that the '06 is going to be a new style & have a lager engine 4.5 - 4.7. Anyone else heard this?

2005 Lexus LS 450

Lexus is readying an all-new flagship. Our spies have seen a computer-generated rendering they say is very close to what we'll see in showrooms in late 2004. The new model will likely be powered by a 4.6-liter V8 that's an updated version of the current 4.3-liter and is said to make close to 360 hp. It will be paired to an all-new 6-speed automatic but still drive the rear wheels. Rumors are swirling that the new LS will, for the first time, have a larger optional engine--possibly an all-new V12 producing well over 400 hp. Other sources hint the optional engine will be a 5.5-liter V8 worth about 400 hp. You can expect a sport package with a semiactive suspension system and 19-in. tires to be on the options list.

I used to view HP as a prime decision maker in my auto shopping criteria. Perhaps i am getting too mature but i would rather see more refinements and superior quality in my future LEXUS. Yes, most manufacturers are getting back into the HP arena, but unless you live in a sparsely populated area, all that HP seldom will find it's way into your daily commute. Of course, it's nice to know it's there.

This vehicle is a true luxury automobile. I get more enjoyment out of cruising in it than trying to beat some fool out of the gate at a traffic light. :P

John

John,

When I was test driving the LS430, it felt very strange not to have to push the button on the key fob to unlock the doors. I'm going to like that feature also. I think what I'll have to get used to is walking away without having to push the lock button on the key fob to lock the doors. I'll probably have to check that the car is locked by pulling on the door handle, which of course will unlock the car!!!! When I test drove a Q45, I noticed it had the same kind of key, but did not have a system similar to Smart Access. The fob has a retractable key, like the LS, but you have to push the buttons to lock & unlock the doors.

Since the radio antenna is in the rear glass, what is the stubby black antenna on the roof for? I assume it is for the Smart Access receiver since the car I drove did not have the Nav system.

Mike

John,

When I was test driving the LS430, it felt very strange not to have to push the button on the key fob to unlock the doors. I'm going to like that feature also. I think what I'll have to get used to is walking away without having to push the lock button on the key fob to lock the doors. I'll probably have to check that the car is locked by pulling on the door handle, which of course will unlock the car!!!! When I test drove a Q45, I noticed it had the same kind of key, but did not have a system similar to Smart Access. The fob has a retractable key, like the LS, but you have to push the buttons to lock & unlock the doors.

Since the radio antenna is in the rear glass, what is the stubby black antenna on the roof for? I assume it is for the Smart Access receiver since the car I drove did not have the Nav system.

Mike

The smart access will recognize you from 3 feet away. It's also really cool at night. At night when you enter the recognition zone, your puddle lamps will come on and the interior cabin lights will come on starting from a low glow and increasing to max illumination.

The antenna you ask about is actually for the Lexus Link transceiver. :cheers:

John

I'm kind of curious about what you guys think about tuner-parts and performance upgrades for the LS430s. If you bought a 04-05 LS would you upgrade the suspension, brakes, HP and Torque and so on or would you keep the cars' as is?

I only plan on giving my girl cosmetic enhancements. So far she's rcv'd 5% tint on all rear glass and i am currently gold plating much of the chrome. I've finished all the exterior chrome and have started the interior plating. I had some time this weekend so i plated the interior door handles, ash trays, and shift console plate. I should be getting new shoes for her this week.

John

The keyless feature IS GREAT ...along with the "hands Free" Bluetooth cell phone makes the 04 LS430 super cool. For long trips accross the desert or up the interstate the XM radio provides all the 50's and 60's rock and roll one could need without having to keep looking for a station that does not exist.

did u ever think about waiting till the 05's come and just get an insentive reduced 04'

like some one else said the 05' wont be to different. so why wait?

ls430

I would definitely consider an '04 if the discount was substantial enough and my dealer could find a car that matched my specs. Up to this point, the max my dealer is willing to discount an '04 is about $3500. The estimated difference in depreciation in 3 years, based on the KBB trade-in value of an '01 & '02 today, is about $4000. If I wait just 8 more weeks, I can get an '05. It might cost me a little more than an '04 now, but in 3 years it should pay off.

Does Lexus usually give incentives on the LS at the end of the model year?

Mike

I would definitely consider an '04 if the discount was substantial enough and my dealer could find a car that matched my specs.

Which dealer are you working with?

I'm working with Lexus of New Orleans. I purchased my 3 other Lexus from them, although my last one was an LS400 in 1998. I've also been emailing several dealers in Houston and will seriously consider buying out-of-state if I can get a better price. Do you have any advice you could share?

Mike

Do you have any advice you could share?

Not really...sorry. :( I was just curious because I stopped in one day and looked at a CPO RX300, and they didn't budge from their asking price-$27k. I didn't really push the issue because I was just getting some ideas on the SUV, and $27k for a RX with 65k is rediculous. Did you try LeBlanc Lexus in Baton Rouge or Lexus of Shreveport? Do you live in NO?

:cheers:

Do you have any advice you could share?

Not really...sorry. :( I was just curious because I stopped in one day and looked at a CPO RX300, and they didn't budge from their asking price-$27k. I didn't really push the issue because I was just getting some ideas on the SUV, and $27k for a RX with 65k is rediculous. Did you try LeBlanc Lexus in Baton Rouge or Lexus of Shreveport? Do you live in NO?

:cheers:

I am in New Orleans. Both Lexus of New Orleans and LeBlanc Lexus in Baton Rouge have the same owner. I did ask LeBlanc for a quote via email and the price that was given was higher than N.O. I didn't try Lexus of Shreveport. I'm not looking forward to starting the negotiations once the '05 models are released. I am willing to buy out of state, but I am concerned about getting local service.

Mike

There will be very few, if any changes to the 05 LS. It will be 2007 before we see a change to this car, it will be exactly as it is until then. 2008 is when I'm buying one, or a late model 2006 if I don't like the restyle.

The only thing I know is the laser cruise has switched to a radar system that is supposed to work better and the 18 inch wheels are either standard or availiable without the sport package. I'm sure the 18s will stay the same, the 17s if they're availiable may change depending on customer reaction, I've heard some people don't care for them. Between 01 and 02 they changed the look of the 16 inch wheels for the same reason.

Don't worry about service, lexus dealers don't really care where you bought the car, they treat all customers the same. If you can find a car out of state go for it.

Interesting you were able to go from your 98 LS400 to a S Type. I looked at the S Types when I was shopping for my ES and it seemed really small inside to me...

There will be very few, if any changes to the 05 LS. It will be 2007 before we see a change to this car, it will be exactly as it is until then. 2008 is when I'm buying one, or a late model 2006 if I don't like the restyle.

The only thing I know is the laser cruise has switched to a radar system that is supposed to work better and the 18 inch wheels are either standard or availiable without the sport package. I'm sure the 18s will stay the same, the 17s if they're availiable may change depending on customer reaction, I've heard some people don't care for them. Between 01 and 02 they changed the look of the 16 inch wheels for the same reason.

Don't worry about service, lexus dealers don't really care where you bought the car, they treat all customers the same. If you can find a car out of state go for it.

Interesting you were able to go from your 98 LS400 to a S Type. I looked at the S Types when I was shopping for my ES and it seemed really small inside to me...

Well I didn't exactly get the S-Type right after the LS400. I traded the LS on a BMW 330Ci, which lasted for about a year, then I had to have a Jag X-Type when it was first introduced. BIG MISTAKE. I had many problems with that car and the dealer was of no help. I got Jaguar involved and was able to get some help getting out of the X-Type into my current car.

The interior of the S-Type is not large, but I rarely have more than one passenger, so "size doesn't matter". Initially I was pretty happy with my S-Type until the transmission started to lurch, the reverse parking aid started giving false readings, it failed to start on one occasion and had to be towed to the dealer, and rattles started to appear. I'm still stuck with the same dealer's service and know that I'm going to be taken to the cleaners when I trade it. I still love the looks of the car and it has a lot of power while still getting great fuel economy. But I'm tired of not being able to get problems solved after 2 years of owning it.

For 3 years my LS400 only saw the service department for routine maintenance, as did my SC300. The only Lexus lemon I had was my early-build '98 GS400, which Lexus and my dealer bought back and that's how I ended up with the '98 LS400. I am looking forward to getting another LS for its reliability and comfort. Judging by the majority of the comments on this board, I know I won't be disappointed.

Thank's for the info on the '05 models.

Mike