Novus...?

I was thumbing through the gallery and saw some pictures of some headlights that had been cleaned up with "Novus". I am very interested; what is this? Where can I get it? The SC we've just bought has one new headlight (had the other one broken) and it makes the rest look terrible and I'm wondering what's the best product to clean them up. I've used Mother's chrome polish on them before and regular wax but these may need something more than that... <_<

Novus is what I used to clean my yellowed headlights. (I posted pics on this forum ^^ the green lexus sc400)

There are also Maguire and Plexus which are supposed to clean plastics so well.

I bought my Novus through ebay. Just search with 'Novus'.

The following is something I referred to when I was searching for a plastic cleaner.

Just ignore the sanding and oven parts.

-------------------------------------------------------

This will help many SC400 Owners clean their lenses. Many SC's leak. The discoloration you see is inside the headlights usally...in some cases outside only. The procedure requires popping your lights into the oven for about 5 minutes at low temperature (be careful or you will damage the light), then removing the plastic casing. From there, you need to polish the plastic with a good plastic polish and scratch remover. Using the right product is important, you don't want to be leaving scratches and nicks on the plastic surface. Use a product such as Novus, Plexus, or Meguiar's plastic cleaner/conditioner. You will certainly want to use Novus, as it will leave the final surface very clean and shiny. A high speed polisher will save you a lot of time and effort. Although, it can be done by hand and some elbow grease.

Websites that carry the Novus and Plexus are listed below. You can also find them at other websites by doing a search for 'novus plastic cleaner' or 'plexus plastic cleaner.'

Novus: http://www.noscratch.com/novus/form.shtml

Plexus: http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/

Silicone/RTV sealant: can be bought at local car parts stores for about $3 in a small tube.

Sand paper: use 2000Grit paper, and wetsand the outside of the headlights using a soapy water solution. Your headlights will be crystal clear and smooth. Also, follow up by buffing the sanded surface with the plastic polish/cleaner.

Oven Temperature: about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife of dull screwdriver to separate the headlights.

Well we actually got the car today and I used the ole tried and true Mothers and some elbow grease; cleaned that sucker right up! Hey, while I'm on the topic of lights, I've got a couple questions; one, the parking lights; is it impossible to access them without removing the headlight assembly? They appear to be just a normal wedge-type bulb right? One of mine is all dim and yellow lookin and the other (new headlight side) is all bright and white. Also, inside now, the far right bulb for the A/C unit display is burnt out. I tried banging on it but that didn't fix it (it fixed it once in my ES). I know I've heard that the ES is just a simple light bulb if you can get down to it; just involves tearing apart the unit some. Is the SC the same? Oh, and one more thing, I checked the cabin air filter and, well, there wasn't one, but there was some crud in there-not much at all though. So should I put one in I guess? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...