New Fuel Filter Equals Big Improvement

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

I'll spare you all of the details and simply say that my '93 LS now drives MUCH better thanks the the replacement of the fuel filter. Still chokes a little bit - when started cold - but now it can actually burn rubber if pushed hard. [while turning at a light or whatever] Quite satifying!! In fact - it's considerably more powerful. Dare I say it..... fun?! I'll give it another couple of weeks before I decide to trust 'her'. I want to go to Vancouver soon - and I don't want to have to worry about my car.

Craig!! :)

This is good to know! I'm going to have my fuel filter changed soon. I wounldn't be suprised if mine's still the origional(when I changed my plug wires they had '95 on them, so the fuel filter would be no shock if it was origional too!). I'm going to drive up to a Lexus dealer that is about 70 miles away with hopes that they'll treat me better than my local dealer. Thanks for sharing the info Craig! :D

:cheers:

thats great to hear. maybe i should look into this. i have a 94 with 166k on it. i have tried to improve efficiency: new plugs, a newly cleaned throttle body, new air filter and properly inflated tires. i somehow still manage to get only 15 MPG/about 300 miles to a tank. even though this is about 70%-80% city driving, i still think i should be getting better. also, i've learned that my foot CAN come off the floor. this equates to my tachometer never seeing over 2,000 RPMs. i still need to replace my wires(which are original), cap and rotor.

i also believe that i am still lacking HP. i have started other threads on this with no real "yes" or "no". i am not able to spin/sqeal tires from a stop on any paved surface, wet or dry. i have tried over and over again. i never even get the slightest chirp. the only time i can break traction is in a turn, under hard acceleration. my 0-60 is also pretty sad at something like 10 secs.

i have never changed a fuel filter but i am very mechanically inclined. i hope the fuel filter is in an easily accessable spot and does not cost an arm and a leg to purchase. i am all about DIY b/c im not your average 17 year old: $180 car payment, $75 for my part of insurance, $35 for cell phone, and $40 a week for gas. thats a total of $450 a month with a part time job that just barely pays that.

please give me good news and tell me its easy and cheap!

fuel filter is located on the body right above the rear differential, i wold not recommend doing the job yourself. car has to be on the lift for easy access and it still takes couple of mins to unscrew and remove hoses and you will have spills of fuel all over you. better pay 20$ for a mechanic to do the dirty job:)

OEM filter is around 30$ and you can get it at toyota or lexus dealer. it has to be changed every 30k miles. part number is 23300-50060

Thanks Everyone!! :)

My LS is [still!!] MUCH better. Not quite as smooth as it ought to be at higher speeds - but maybe it will get better if I keep driving it. The car [up until I bought it - from the original owner] probably never went faster than 60 mph. [if that] Do you think I'm kidding myself - or is it possible that an 11 year old car that rarely [if ever] was driven fast or revved high - could still be in the 'break-in' phase?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a'93 LS400 w/ 150k. Parts man, Anthony, at Pohanka Lexus in Northern VA told me that Lexus no longer recommends replacement of the fuel filter. He said they stock the part only for collision purposes. Has anyone else heard ever this?

Hi chucklarock!! :)

MY Lexus service department 'guy' said - basically - the same thing. In fact - he said, "we have never replaced a fuel filter on the LS."

MY filter was [finally] changed [but only after I insisted that it BE changed] because the fuel in the gas tank was obviously not quite as 'clean' as it should have been. [because it was allowed to sit for months and months at a time - every winter] IF your car is driving OK - and it has always been driven [on a regular basis] you might not need a new filter. But were not talking about a $500 part. It's not that expensive. So if you think it MIGHT help - change it.