Possibly Some New Brake Pads?

Grandpa

Right now, im a little short on cash... and don't want to buy a torque wrench... would it be unsafe for me to rotate my tires and replace the pads?

Not unsafe, but it will still shake until the rotors are resurfaced or replaced.

Also... im about to go buy some pads at AutoZone... which pads should i buy for the front...

VALUCRAFT (Product #MKD476V)--$9.99 + 1 YR Warranty

ALBANY (Product #MD476)--$16.99 + LLT Warranty.

PFC-CARBON-METALIC (Product #4764)--$31.99 + LLT Warranty

the rear... (the only choice for the rear... is it a good buy or bad brakes?)

ALBANY (Product #MKD488)--$18.99 + LLT Warranty.

What are the rotors?? and when i mean rotate my wheels i mean moving the front wheels to the back and vice versa... and the only time it shakes is in the seat when i press the breaks to slow down from 50-20 or so gradually

And what i mean from unsafe is if i were to use a normal ratchet wrench to tighten the Filler hole and just to use the lug nut wrench to tighten it, instead of torqueing all this stuff... cant i just make sure i dont tighten it too much?

What are the rotors?? and when i mean rotate my wheels i mean moving the front wheels to the back and vice versa... and the only time it shakes is in the seat when i press the breaks to slow down from 50-20 or so gradually

Rotors are what the brake pads press onto to stop the car- they are also what the wheels bolt onto. If it only shakes when you depress the brakes- then it is the rotors. They are in need of resurfacing or replacements.

Ok... how expensive is this gunna be?? and im about to jack up my car to flush it... i kno the "sweet spot to jack it up" but i dont have the jack that came with the car, since the previous owner kept it probably.. i only have a 3-ton jack that has a circle that is gunna press up against the spot... is this fien?

My car - 92 Ls 400- is starting to vibrate like -put put put- when i press the brakes... possibly new brake pads??? and please dont tell me i have a bad rotor :)

the shaking when you press the brake pedal is cause by the rotor, you need to re-surface it, just like ls400lexus said. You will be able to check if you need the brake pad when you take the wheel off, sometimes you don't need to change the brake pad but it is recommend if you re-surface or purchase a new one to change as well the pad, if you are short on cash just take it to the machine shop to re-surface it. You can not switch the rotor from the back to the front, they are not the same as well as the brake pad totally different size. The shaking project is the front brake job not the back.

You can use any standard jack that comes with any Japanese car. I try to minimize the use of the LS400 jack and used the one that comes with the Mitsubishi Galant instead. The 3-ton jack circle should be put under the crossbar frame of the car ie. in the middle of the car

eh? u sure its strong enough... 3tons is equal to 6,000lbs... any1 kno how much the avg. 92 LS 400 weighs?? is curb weight the overall weight? cause curb weight is around 3,800. ANd middle of the car... as in anywhere in the middle?? i dont wanna mess up the car :( can u take a pic of the bottom of your car and pt to where i should jack it ? or... could i just use the circle jack to jack the area mentioned in the owners manual?? and if so... the "spot" where im suppose to jack has a little dent in it.. its dented UPWARDS... is that where i should jack up?

u sure its strong enough... 3tons is equal to 6,000lbs... any1 kno how much the avg. 92 LS 400 weighs?? is curb weight the overall weight? cause curb weight is around 3,800.

curb weight: weight of car with no passengers, no gas, no luggage (also known as dry weight i think)

yes. a little math to reinforce 1 ton=2,000lbs, 2 tons=4,000lbs, 3 tons=6,000lbs.

the LS's curb weight is a bit under 4,000lbs (2 tons). so if you have a 3 ton jack (6,000lbs), you can support the weight of the whole car + 2,000lbs more. you will only be jacking up one side of the car. the angle the car will be on with one side in the air will change the center of gravity to favor the side on the ground. in other words: with only one side jacked, the jack will be supporting LESS than half the weight of the car (2,000 lbs or less)

ANd middle of the car... as in anywhere in the middle?? i dont wanna mess up the car  can u take a pic of the bottom of your car and pt to where i should jack it ? or... could i just use the circle jack to jack the area mentioned in the owners manual?? and if so... the "spot" where im suppose to jack has a little dent in it.. its dented UPWARDS... is that where i should jack up?

you must jack to the frame. anywhere else is risking damage.

i believe you can use the hydraulic floor jack that you have in the same place specified in the owners manual. the "spot" the manual describes is on a part of the frame, which you want.

the dent you are talking about is probably from your car being jacked up so many times. is this dent in the same spot the owners manual points out?

No... the dent is actually in a little more... it would be by the brake pedal and etc; and is on passenger side too. The picture is pretty crummy in the owners manual and isn't detailed enough. If i were too look at the place i wanted to jack there would be a straight continous horizontal line with 2 /\_____/\ like that, 1 right behind the front tire, and another in front of the rear tire, on both sides of the car. should i jack IN FRONT of this? or behind it... the dent is also behind this line - about 9 inches from the line-

ok well im still confused about where this dent is exactly...

stand next to your car (drivers side or passenger side doesn't matter) and face your car. depending on which side of the car you are standing, you should see either a right front tire & a right rear -or- left front & left rear. example:

o------o the o's represent the tires. jack here o---^---o. your jack should pretty much be centered between front and rear tire. (this view from the side) i've even underlined where the ground is.

this is another view as if u were above your car looking down. the 0's represent the tires. insert the jack where the > <'s are. the red is the outline of your car.

---------------__________ --------------------------------------

--------------|---------------|--------------------------------------

--------------0--------------0--------------------------------------

------------ *|---------------|*------------------------------------

------------>|---------------|<------------------------------------

-------------*|---------------|*------------------------------------

--------------0---------------0--------------------------------------

--------------|__________|------------------------------------- (try to ignore all the horizontal dashes. i tried using space bar but it didn't work.)

this should give you a pretty good idea of where your jack should be. the only other thing left to explain is how far to push it under the car. if you get down next to your car, and look just in front of the rear tire and behind the front tire (indicated in 2nd diagram with *'s), you will see this:

-------------___---------------------___---------------

_______|----|____________|----|__________ (imagine the red lines are connected)

and actually i think u were trying to draw whats above and drew this

/\_____/\

this is a real close up. the notches on the car are actually less than an inch wide and tall.

once again, this is best seen facing your car from the side with the the tires at eye level (your eyes need to be about 1 foot off the ground) and looking where the stars are in the diagram. these notches are where the manual says to jack but thats for 1 tire or corner at a time. u want the whole side up. you can use your floor jack directly between these marks in the middle of the car as shown in figures 1&2 and along the same piece of metal with the notches in it.

i really dont know any better way to explain how to jack up a car word for word. i hope i am not insulting your intelligence by doing this. i am probably making myself look rather dumb by doing all those crappy diagrams with all those stupid keyboard characters. i really wish i had a digital camera....it would be soooo much easier.

BTW, all these instructions are implying that you are gonna do one side at a time. to do both sides at once, well, lets not get into that. it would take twice as many words and a bunch more stupid looking digrams.