How Long Can The Sc300 Engine Last?

kjtar

I've been occasionally emailing a dealer (owner of a car lot) about a car his wife has been driving for around 30k miles. It's a 5 speed SC300 (duh, I know) and currently has around 190k miles. He says he has all the service records, and he wouldn't let his wife drive it if the car were a hazard about to happen, etc., etc. With regular maintenance, can the 3.0 liter engine (and the other systems) of the car be dependable enough so I won't have to worry each time I get in that it's not going to self destruct around me? Guess I just want to hear some "longevity" stories to either ease my mind or tell me to RUN from this possiblity.

Thanks,

Tom

Hereford, AZ :unsure:

The mileage on a vehicle will affect the value of the car. That said, the 2jz-ge is an overbuilt and very strong motor. With proper care, I would not be surprised to see the thing go for a very long time. I've heard of them at 220+k miles and still going just fine. I had one a 105K that ran like it had 10K on it. I have one turboed now at 67k and it purrs too. It will take care and maintenance like anything else. But it should last a long time. Just keep in mind that for the money - one with much less miles could be found. Not that the car in question is a bad one.

Thanks for the reply. But, that kind of brings up another question, which is, what kind of pricing should I expect to find out there for a '92 or '93 SC300 5 speed? The reason I ask is that you say "for the money - one with much less miles could be found." I don't remember discussing the asking price of the car I was discussing, so what's the going rate for one?

Thanks again,

Tom

Hereford, AZ

The mileage on a vehicle will affect the value of the car. That said, the 2jz-ge is an overbuilt and very strong motor. With proper care, I would not be surprised to see the thing go for a very long time. I've heard of them at 220+k miles and still going just fine. I had one a 105K that ran like it had 10K on it. I have one turboed now at 67k and it purrs too. It will take care and maintenance like anything else. But it should last a long time. Just keep in mind that for the money - one with much less miles could be found. Not that the car in question is a bad one.

I have over 170K on mine, and the only thing that even makes the slightest rattle is one of the cats. Compression is practically factory, leak down is perfect. I would have no doubts about buying another one that was so well maintained. I got a good deal on mine because it had a suspension problem, that was fixed promptly, and relatively cheap. I would say for 190K miles, I would expect to pay around 6k for the car. That's what I payed for mine.

I was going to say right around that figure as well. There are blue book sites that are fairly representative. A higher mileage car might need things replaced like Sadistic mentioned. Just be ready for it, or spend the money and buy one with lower miles. I also would not have a problem buying a high mileage SC in the right condition.

I just purchased a '93 SC400 from my Mother-In-Law that has 180,000 miles. Conpression and leak-down test are so close to new it is amazing. The Power Antennae stopped working, I dis-assembled it and re-assembled it and it works fine. The Auto Steering Column was not working, she said for 2 years. I found the switch was turned off. The Radiator Light would come on, had it professionally flushed, temp dropped 80 degrees. Only two items to fix is drivers door hinge will not pull completely in on hinge end and Temp Control Unit is 80% blacked out.

Installed Drilled and Slotted Rotors and painted the calipers Red.

Cleaned the wheels with buffing compound and then waxed.

Having Tokico Shocks and Eibach Springs installed as I write. Split seam in rear seat being repaired as I write.

She installed new tires in July.

Purchased a CD Manual off Ebay and has been very helpful in Engine Light Diagnostics.

Car never leaked oil and had a major oil leak after picking up car. Mother-in-Law had tires rotated and oil changed that day. Oil leak slowed and then stopped, determined that it was over-filled with oil.

Love the car, love the performance and make my Buddy sick that just purchased a 1986 Corvette Convertible.

:cheers:

Bandit, that's great! Hey, can you PM me or email me about the springs and shocks? Don't want the thread continuity on this to evaporate, but do want to know how much they cost, what the installation bill was, and how the handling was effected, as I'm thinking of doing the same thing, plus maybe a short shift kit, if one is made. I know you bought a SC400, and from your mother-in-law, but could I ask how much you paid for it?

Congrats!

Tom