#1 sandiegomike

sandiegomike

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: ES350

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

Is there someplace on the internet that I can see what kind of a connecting cable it takes to link my iPod to my ES350 audio system? Barring that, I would just like to know what the connector plug name, type, and size is. Thanks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Bardonia

Bardonia

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Model: ES 350

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

Is there someplace on the internet that I can see what kind of a connecting cable it takes to link my iPod to my ES350 audio system? Barring that, I would just like to know what the connector plug name, type, and size is. Thanks.

Just go to any Apple store and ask for it.

#3 sharpcolorado

sharpcolorado

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • First Name:Doug
  • Model: ES 300h
  • Year: 2014

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:15 PM

The cable is simply a 1/8 stereo headphone cable to 1/8 stereo headphone (same on both ends).

You can buy it from
- Radio Shack
- Target
- Wal Mart
- K Mart

Here's a picture and link
http://www.radioshac...rentPage=search

#4 BrianP

BrianP

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

You can get one at Radio Shack for about $5. It's simply called an audio to audio cable. I think Monster has one that's about $20 that I've seen at Best Buy -- not sure if it's any better in terms of sound quality.

#5 amf1932

amf1932

Guru Member

• Super Moderator
  • 2,772 posts
  • First Name:Alan
  • Model: 2007 ES350 Ultra-Luxury Package
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

You can get one at Radio Shack for about $5. It's simply called an audio to audio cable. I think Monster has one that's about $20 that I've seen at Best Buy -- not sure if it's any better in terms of sound quality.

There is no audible difference with the Monster cable, but there is a BIG difference in the price. :)

#6 lexuus

lexuus

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Model: Lexus IS350, 2 BMW's

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

A lot of stores call them auxiliary cables. Look around your house, you might find one (this is how I found mine). In reality, it doesn't matter which cable you get as long as one side fits in the ipod and the other fits in the car. Digital music sounds the same no matter what cable it passes through. Let your speakers do the rest...

#7 rjt65

rjt65

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Model: 2008 ES 350 & 2010 Rx350

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

Bought mine (on its way) from EBAY and aCCStation Its only 1 $ with shipping of 3.96. AND this one is retractable!

3.5MM JACK CAR AUDIO AUX AUXILIARY CABLE FOR IPOD/ZUNE

A lot of stores call them auxiliary cables. Look around your house, you might find one (this is how I found mine). In reality, it doesn't matter which cable you get as long as one side fits in the ipod and the other fits in the car. Digital music sounds the same no matter what cable it passes through. Let your speakers do the rest...

#8 rjt65

rjt65

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Model: 2008 ES 350 & 2010 Rx350

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Bought mine (on its way) from EBAY and aCCStation Its only 1 $ with shipping of $2.96. AND this one is retractable!

3.5MM JACK CAR AUDIO AUX AUXILIARY CABLE FOR IPOD/ZUNE

#9 AZ08LexusES

AZ08LexusES

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

It's the same one you use to connect your computer to the computer speakers. It's a stereo/aux cable with 3.5 mm stereo plugs on both ends. As mentioned here, you can find it anywhere and the cost can be from $2 to $35 (Monster, don't do it, don't buy into the hype!). If you have an old set of computer speakers that you don't use any more, just take that one, that's what I did...

Now, about the digital music, the cable is analog, it is not a digital hookup. Although the music is stored in your iPod digitally, when it is played out through the cable (or the ear plugs for that matter) it has already been convereted to sound as opposed to ones and zeroes. So cable quality does play into it but nothing that anybody here would ever notice. Another trick, put your iPod at full volume and it will play louder in your car sound system.

#10 Tom.S

Tom.S

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Model: 08 Lexus ES 350

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

ANY sound cable will do - look for a cable that has the input/ output that looks like the same like that of headphones since all you are doing is making your car speakers headphones

#11 GrantS

GrantS

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

A question along the same line. My cell phone plays mp3 and through the headphone it plays in stereo. I connected to the mp3 port using the cable from Radio shack, but it plays as mono. The sound comes from just one side of the car. I was trying to avoid getting another mp3 player. Any thoughts?

#12 ClayShooter

ClayShooter

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Model: 2007 ES 350 UL White/Grey

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

A question along the same line. My cell phone plays mp3 and through the headphone it plays in stereo. I connected to the mp3 port using the cable from Radio shack, but it plays as mono. The sound comes from just one side of the car. I was trying to avoid getting another mp3 player. Any thoughts?

What kind of phone is it? That's strange that it only plays in mono...

I have a Palm Treo with a 4GB card in it that I used to use with a cassette input to play MP3's. The headphone out jack on the phone is a little larger, so you have to go to Radio Shack and get a 'downsize' female/female for it, but the Treo has terrible interface and unless you just want to set it on shuffle and let it go, it's a pain.
I went to Best Buy and bought a Sandisk Sansa for about 40 bucks, I think. It's a 2GB, so you can't put your whole collection on it, but it works fine, although the bass response overloads the speakers when the player and the car are at high volume. Be careful that you don't blow out a ML speaker! I'll bet they're a pretty penny.

Interesting aside; when I flew from VA to Fresno CA to pick up the car and drive it back, I found that I'd packed everything but the mp3 cord. I stopped in a Kmart in Tehachapi CA and figured it'd be an easy thing to find. They didn't have one, but the electronics guy opened a box of aux. mp3 speakers and just gave me a spare cord out of it, no charge. And everybody laughs when Rain Man says "Kmart Sucks!" It's pretty cheap and thin, but it works fine.

Being a former car audio competitor (IASCA), I agree with the previous posts regarding the quality of the wiring, but unless you're competing, it really doesn't make very much difference for the casual listener. Just some info...

#13 AZ08LexusES

AZ08LexusES

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

My phone does the same thing, it is the type of plug that you bought. It has to have have two black strips, or three metal sections. I bought mine from Verizon, they sell them. Now a problem is that the cell phones usually are 2.5 MM and the adapter in the car is a 3.5 MM, so you need a converter. One other thing, cell phone manufacturers don't amplify the sound that much in order to save battery life for its ultimate use as a cell phone. So, when it plays through the car stereo it will not play that loudly unless you really crank up the volume. They sell these in-line amplifier "boosters" that supposedly will help with that issue. I don't remember where I saw it, you may need to google...

#14 GrantS

GrantS

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the response.
I thought it might be the cable but wanted to make sure before I bought another. It did say stereo, but I suspected it might be the issue. I'll check to see how many strips it has ans replace it if needed.

#15 GrantS

GrantS

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the response.
It is the HTC Mogul. Sprint is the carrier.
Excellent phone all around and the sound is great as stereo via the head phones. I connected a friends Sansa via the FM transmitter. The sound was great. I love it, but did not want to get another MPS player. Kmart has it pluses.....but you flew to Fresno to pick up your car and drove it to Va..... WOW!!!!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have